Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    Hugs, Sunshine4. I know it's tough.

One thing that did help in our case was recognizing DS's perfectionism issues. He really didn't want to play with the other kids when he felt unsure of himself about something. For example, a lot of his classmates were playing basketball at recess when DS was younger. DS refused to play because he said he was "so bad", so we signed him up for basketball clinic to get him some confidence, and then he started playing sometimes.

I think DS being a loner on the playground was tougher on us in some respects than on DS. When he was in K/1st, I think sometimes he didn't mind spending time alone on the playground. He had issues with becoming over-stimulated in the classroom (he had a lot of trouble tuning out all the noise/action), and I think that sometimes, he used recess to recover from that.

Just some thoughts in case they might be helpful.

More hugs, Sunshine!

M
    M
    Originally Posted by sunshine4
    I am hoping that he will meet some friends next year that are more at this level, although I am nervous that next year when kids are older, they will just think he's weird.

In our experience, there is such a range of abilities in K and even 1st, that you don't really hear the "weird" comments from the other kids at that age. If you think about K, where some kids don't know their letters and other kids are reading; some kids have never been away from their parents and others have been in day care for 12 hours/day -- there are a lot of things that are uneven. Around here, kids seem to start becoming a little more judgmental in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Hopefully, by that time, your DS will have developed some good self esteem and confidence and will enjoy who he is. smile

Originally Posted by Dano5786
    ... Unfortunately the pre-school teacher was unfit and started kicking him and letting the other children come and laugh at him in the bathroom while he was cleaning up in the bathroom. It got to the point that she would just lock him in a closet for periods of time when he would do this.

Well we finally figured out that he was lactose and tolerant around a year and a lot of money later. Anyways, once he started into elementary school he flourished socially.

I don't know how you made it through that period of time! That is a horrible story. So glad that his elementary years are going better.

I hope that preschool teacher was taken away by the Department of Social Services and locked in a closet. Actually, I'm kinda hoping they left her in there.

Originally Posted by Mama22Gs
    Originally Posted by mycupoftea
    I admit that now my nine year old is beyond that...but at least he does like Harry Potter and that gives him a subject to talk about. He can practically quote the books verbatim, but that's another story...

Are you sure you're not talking about MY DS9? *lol*
    Seriously, this is still happening to ME! And I try so hard, but it happended again just within this last week. My only consolation is that I also caught my brother kicking my SIL under the table for doing the same thing.
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Dano5786
    Unfortunately the pre-school teacher was unfit and started kicking him and letting the other children come and laugh at him in the bathroom while he was cleaning up in the bathroom. It got to the point that she would just lock him in a closet for periods of time when he would do this.
    Unfit indeed! My heart goes out to your family over this, and I am so glad that you not only found her out, but got the diet issues cleared up as well. Some kinds of behavior are beyond my ability to understand, and this 'teachers' crosses that line by a mile!

hugs and more hugs,
    Grinity

V
    V
    I know I really worried about the social issues as well with my now DS9. I asked that he be involved in a social skill group with the guidance counselor. They would play games or role play. Finally this year grade 4 he is beginning to interact with the other kids more. His imagination is appreciated more now. It has taken some work and he is not a social butterfly but is doing better.

Originally Posted by sunshine4
    I have heard that the more gifted the child is, the more trouble he will have socially. Does this seem true for all of you? In my experience watching kids who are more moderately gifted, they seem to interact better socially and not seem as out of place.!
    I do seem to see this, although there are always a few super social and super emotionally mature kids who are able to overcome any obsticle, even more than usual giftedness. One or two in a hunderd is really a lot more 'usual' than One or Two in a thousand in numbers of people one experiences.

My son was placed into a social skills group one year at school, and it was part of a helpful package, but I do resent it. I play a little movie in my head for revenge. It goes like this:

Originally Posted by Grinity's day dream
    ((Teacher wheels in a bunch of toys on a cart to her Kindy room))
    Ok children, today we are going to learn to improve our social skill. Todays challenge is how to play with children who are much more academically advanced than expected for their age. Let's pretend that this puppet is "Jimmy" a classmate who can do things that only older kids can usually do. I'll ask a question and you all brainstorm suggestions of how to deal with the situation in a way that makes everyone feel included. Remember to raise your hands.

((Holds up a pack of Yu-gi-oh Cards))
    Who knows what these are?
    Boy 1: A card game!
    Very good! And how do you play it?
    Boy 2: I know, you flip a card and do what it says under the picture. But I don't play because I can't read.
    What if "Jimmy" wants to play this game with you, what would you do?
    ((silence and blank stares))
    Come on, someone must have an idea...
    Boy 1: I could ask Jimmy to read the card to me. But I tried that once and didn't really know what the words meant, even when he read it aloud.
    Boy 2: I could ask Jimmy if he wants to draw pictures of the monsters on the cards, and then we could make growly sounds at each other.
    Great idea! Jimmy might like that. Anyone else?

I hope that helps.
    Finding older children works well for some kids. In the US there is DYS to apply for when your son turns 5 and they maintain a network. Most Gifted Conferences have a track for kids to do social activities together, see
    www.hoagiesgifted.org/conferences.htm
    also check with your state gifted association. Be prepared to travel a bit, as possible.

Google 'It gets better' and watch a few videos and pretend that they are talking about your issue. That might help a bit with the broken heart thing.

Love and more love,
    Grinity

Excellent daydream.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM