Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 220 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #95561 02/26/11 08:59 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D

Last edited by deacongirl; 04/26/15 08:04 PM.
    deacongirl #95885 03/02/11 08:35 AM
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    And also by the fact that I just can't imagine sending my beautiful dd9 into a large public middle school with mean girls (I know private schools have mean girls too. Just dreading the whole thing for her!).
    I wish I had more info on Atlanta, but the good thing about a move is that you might get some say in which neighborhood you move to - keep asking, even attend an Atlanta gifted association meeting or two if possible and see what the local folks have to say.
    Or at least make phone or email contact - try
    http://www.gagc.org/region-map.asp

But I can point out that you have to - have to- have to update your software on the mean girl problem. The problem is real, but you can't solve it geographically. Time to journal, blog, or post here what your own experiences were and do a bit of 'turning the soil' so the compost can do it's magic and turn hard times into wisdom.
    I also recommend Howard Glasser's
    All Children Flourishing - Igniting the Greatness of Our Children
    Howard Glasser with Melissa Block
    as a way to transform your outlook and help your daughter grow to the point where she can handle anything that come's down the pike. I believe she has it in her, and that you can be helpful to her in growing that inner wealth.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    deacongirl #95891 03/02/11 09:23 AM
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    So thinking if we could only do private for one maybe we would do dd9 for middle, and then I think there are more options for public high school. But what if dd3 turns out to be EG/HG which would be more complicated? (testing for her scheduled for April after she turns 4).

It is absolutely doable to have one child in public school and one child in private school, and to even have a third child in some other situation. I know I always imagined that all my kids would attend the same schools (and even thought it was crazy when I met a family in which all four kids were at different schools), but we have one in private school and two in public school and it's worked out just fine. We've adjusted things a bit as we've had kids identified as gifted at various levels, from accelerations and skips to changes of entire schools. And, thankfully, the kids are not only no worse for wear, but better off for it. In fact, we're switching things up yet again next year when DD9 starts middle school at a new school. Then we'll have three kids in three different schools.

Anyway, what I'm saying is focus only on your two kids who are in school right now, and find the best schools for each of them -- individually if necessary -- and then figure out a future plan for your younger DD separately when you've gotten a better sense of what she's going to need.

Sorry I'm not any help with Atlanta specifically. It's a great city, though!

She thought she could, so she did.
    deacongirl #95932 03/02/11 02:53 PM
    J
    J
    Steer clear of Atlanta Public Schools - or at least right now. They are under investigation for CRCT cheating, and they are about to lose their accreditation.

However, Fulton County Schools, some, are much better. So are some Dekalb County Schools (by Emory). However, they are also going through some changes. Also, when you say "Atlanta", or at least here in Atlanta, that could mean anywhere within a 60 mile radius of Atlanta. In that case, steer clear of Clayton County Schools too.

My children are going to a charter school next year, so look into those as well (though I personally would steer clear of any that belong to Imagine).

deacongirl #95934 03/02/11 02:57 PM
    J
    J
    Oh, and for the record, it's very common for kids to go to private middle school in certain areas, then go back into the public realm for high school. We have considered it for both of our children, though our oldest is only 7.

Also, if the area you move has a school that didn't make AYP, they generally allow for attendance at a school that has made it.

deacongirl #95998 03/03/11 10:03 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D

Last edited by deacongirl; 04/26/15 08:05 PM.
    deacongirl #96003 03/03/11 10:50 AM
    C
    C
    I have heard positive things from one PG family with a middle schooler at the Atlanta Girls School. I don't know if they are on this board.

Warning: sleep deprived
    Chrys #96004 03/03/11 11:06 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by Chrys
    I have heard positive things from one PG family with a middle schooler at the Atlanta Girls School. I don't know if they are on this board.

Wow--had never heard of that school--sounds pretty great. I am already sold on all girls...and love this
    "the student body includes girls from a broad spectrum of ethnic, racial, religious, social, economic and political backgrounds. We are proud to say we are the only independent school that truly represents the diversity of Atlanta�s population, making it one of the most diverse schools in the nation."

and "Students are permitted to advance through curriculum at their own pace, meaning students may advance beyond �grade level� where appropriate."

We better start saving our $$$$.

deacongirl #96013 03/03/11 12:01 PM
    My sister in law is a principal of a k-5 school in Fulton County and my brother in law teaches at a HS in Fulton County.

The schools vary - I agree that you should speak with the gifted ass'n. Sometimes the top rated schools are not the best at dealing with differences - they have a "all our kids are smart" attitude.

I have to say bullying of any form is not accepted at my sister in law's school, they take it very seriously. And at her school, at least in math, they have no problem with subject acceleration. She has 2 kids who go up 2 years in the school and 3-4 per grade who go up one year. Her school has a diverse range of abilities, and it seems to me they are willing to work with parents if a child has the need for more challenge. As with anything, I wouldn't dismiss all of the public schools (I have found the private schools I have spoken to are less willing to accomodate individual needs than the public ones).

deacongirl #96015 03/03/11 01:11 PM
    J
    J
    Decatur is going through some changes. I'm actually not sure if it's Decatur City or Dekalb County schools that are getting ready to close schools and rezone. But in general, Decatur has good schools.

Buckhead itself probably has great schools, but Buckhead is a very ritzy area, so if your daughters are not the Kardashians (sp?), and you don't plan on buying them a brand new BMW when they turn 16, you may need to look elsewhere (since you are worried about bullying). But, with the money in the area, as long as the APS don't lose their accreditation, it wouldn't be a bad spot to be.

North Fulton (Alpharetta) is a good area too. It's still considered Fulton County Schools. But as with everywhere in ATL, individual schools vary.

DS7 goes to a Title I school in our county, and it's actually a great school. At first I was hesitant because of it being Title I, but the parents are involved, the teachers are involved, and the kids are very diverse. He went to a non-Title I school last year, and I felt tension with the parents there. While DS had no issues, I could see where he could have. The only reason DC are going to a Charter School next year is because DS will thrive with the Math & Science focus, and we would like to move closer to our jobs. And now we can without worrying about the schools (well until 7th grade). The only requirement is for us to stay in the county.

Last edited by JJsMom; 03/03/11 01:12 PM.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM