Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Depends on the effect you're looking for, I suppose. laugh

PS-- it's (I think, anyway) "TITCH-yoo-lar." The ch phoneme at the end of that syllable is important there. LOL.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    GT coordinators are supposed to have a certificate that says they complete the required coursework and are therefore qualified to do the job. It has nothing to do with their personal IQ or their childrens.

Just like any other profession, there are good ones and bad ones. I tend to overwhelm them with information, laws, statuates and the like until they cry UNCLE and give me my way!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    We have definitely had the experience of nominally "gifted" personnel (not that they themselves must be gifted, of course, but that they have an implied specialty or training) who were pragmatically anything but.

I'm not sure what sort of training some of those people have had, but it clearly isn't much, since most of what I was saying to them left them responding with bafflement.

I'm recalling the summer program director that didn't understand why my child wouldn't be "just fine" with MG same-age peers. They wanted to place my child chronologically in spite of her public school's placement (GT programming and +3 acceleration). When I attempted to ascertain whether or not there were any children like my daughter enrolled in the program by asking for a ballpark distribution of scores in typical enrollees (ie-- roughly what percentage of children in the program are 95%+, what percentage are 99%+, etc.); I was informed rather crisply that there simply aren't any functional differences between kids at the 90% percentile and those at the 99.5%+ one. It was implied that I was being elitist and obnoxious for even asking. I was told that my child would probably find one of the Aspie children in the program to be a reasonable peer because they are generally a little awkward, too-- and this was supposed to be reassuring to me. (Amazing... in so many ways, really. Not the least of which was this woman's assumptions about Aspies.)

What a rude surprise that was; the director clearly had a chip on her shoulder about kids like mine and felt that they were merely the result of hot-housing and needed to be 'cut down to size' or something. NO WAY was I going to leave my DD with her, because it wasn't hard to figure out that she was going to make it her mission to "show us" that we were wrong. (Of course, I still can't quite wrap my head around why someone so obviously hostile to HG+ people would be in such a position...hmmmmm)

It turned out that the regular "summer program" offered by the science/engineering schools was a better fit for my gifted child. They were willing to do ability- and interest-based placement with little fanfare about her age.

Anyway. Long story-- but just because someone has a certificate on the wall or a title on their e-mail doesn't mean that they have some basic level of proficiency, I have discovered. Even with teachers, we've found that there is a tremendous amount of variability. I'd say that only one of them (of more than 14) has been anything like a true 'partner' in crafting solutions for DD educationally.

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    nautigal - I like the idea of saving face for the woman specially saying my kiddo maybe her charge for three years.....

Howlerkarma - You have a great way of stating things!

BWBShari- I am glad to hear you overwhelm them with information. I have done that and felt like I was just toooo intense. However it did help them cry uncle. I get lonely with all the stored up information though.

I think our requirement is 6 credits in gifted education. However, we do not have any classes formally taught anywhere near, so I think a teacher becomes an adjunct professor at one of the local universities and teaches a class. Now everyone who took the class has three credits.

I feel better with these replies.
    Thanks for the support! I feel ready for the next go round!

Six credits, huh?

Semester or quarter?

Wow. I think that makes me 'credentialed' in any number of things... grin German... French... Western Civilization... Calculus, certainly...

<snicker>

In all seriousness, yes, it's generally a good idea to not burn bridges if you don't have to. I like the face-saving strategies myself most of the time, too.

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Yeah me to.... Not only that I maybe even able to teach the course!

N
    N
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I was informed rather crisply that there simply aren't any functional differences between kids at the 90% percentile and those at the 99.5%+ one. It was implied that I was being elitist and obnoxious for even asking.

Yeah, because 1 in 10 is clearly the same as 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000. It's all just a bunch of ones and zeroes. Hmm ... binary ... must be high-level stuff.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM