Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    I've thought about the SAT/ACT, but don't want to push too much for DS9. I actually asked him and he said, "Can I just take it next year?" It's such a long test and the writing part of SAT intimidates him. If the EXPLORE shows something absolutely stellar, maybe I'll reintroduce the subject.

DS9 finished all the tests, though his reality is sometimes different from everyone else's. When DS13 took EXPLORE at age 10 he did not finish and he came out exhausted and "beat up" (saying it was much harder than sample material). Granted DS13 had not been introduced to algebra, while DS9 has. I guess we'll see.

I can't correlate for the same year EXPLORE/ACT, but 3 yrs ago DS13 scored 20 composite on EXPLORE (22 on English, 17 math, 19 reading, and 21 science). A year later he took ACTs and had 26 composite and a year after that his composite was 30.

DD10 took Explore for the first time last Sat. She was also given the questions about friends and school, but her impresion was that those were pertaining to kids in gifted programs.
    Her first impresion was that Science was the most difficult and that she was mostly guessing that section. Followed by Math and then LA. She did have plenty of time to answer and she also felt that the questions in the booklet send home were much, much easier.
    We are not really hoping for great results, she is being accomodated as of now so nothing is really riding on those numbers. She took the test mostly because she wanted to follow her older brother (he tok Plus in 5th rade). She says she wants to do it again next year :-)

Ania,
    I'm glad to hear that DD wants to do it again next year! What better pat on back could you want? I'm glad to hear from you!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    TJS Offline
    T
    My DD10 took it for the first time also last Saturday. She finished all the sections except for Science. She missed 8 because she decided to get up and go to the bathroom! The really frustrating part is that she said that the Science was the easiest.

Oh well. She's hasn't tested much before this, other than grade level achievement tests at school. Also, I wasn't looking for much from this test other than a gauge of what her strengths and weaknesses. I already knew science was a strength.

At least she learned that in the future she needs to go to the bathroom before the test. (I did ask her, she said she didn't have to go.)

Last edited by TJS; 01/31/08 09:11 AM. Reason: typo
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    TJS, I feel for you!

Well we are back from Explore. I got to hear all the "friend" questions at the beginning as we were allowed to stay in another section of the room. It was very interesting to hear.

My DS thought the science was the hardest but he didn't think the rest was too bad. He had to miss a basketball game to take this and was a little upset about it. But when we left he said "I don't care if I have to miss another basketball game next year I definitely want to do this again!" LOL!!! He thought it was such great fun. Even if he doesn't do well, I'm just glad for the test taking experience for him. I figure the more tests like this he gets under his belt, the better he will do later on in life.

Dottie - hopefully your scores will come soon!!!! smile

acs Offline
    Hi EandCmom,

I'm glad your son was able to focus on the test and not the game he was missing. Ever since we signed up for our test date I lived in fear that some cool opportunity would present itself for that day and we'd have to make a hard decision. We were lucky in that it turned out to be a dull Feb day with nothing to compete with the test.

How did you explain his absence from the game to his fellow players and coach? We were trying to fly under the radar and didn't want to have to answer any questions about the test. Did you 'fess up or did you come up with a bland excuse?

The science section is last, so I think part of its challenge is stamina, since they have worked hard on the first 3 sections. At least, I know it was for DS; he said it was harder to focus on because he was tired.

Good luck waiting! I'm glad it was a positive experience!

Thank you acs!!

The explaining of his absence from the game is actually a funny story. I wanted to fly under the radar too and I told my DH to tell the coach that we had made previous plans and DS wouldn't be at the game, and that is what I told the other parents too. No one questioned me further. Well last night the team had practice and my DS went to the practice. After the test today we had enough time to go to see about the last 15 minutes of his team's game. So I told him it might be a little awkward with us walking in that late and people might question where he had been. He said "oh, I told them last night". I asked what exactly he had told them. He said "I told them I was taking the 8th grade ACT for fun." His coach asked why - was he in 8th grade? He said he told him that it was just a fun test to see how much stuff you know. In fact he had a couple of the other kids wishing their moms knew about this and had signed them up!!!! LOL!!!

I was flabbergasted to say the least. But no one asked where we had been. I guess when you teach your kids to be honest, they will be honest. Anyway, I can't stop giggling about it now - so much for flying under the radar!!! smile

Anyone else take the test today? If so, what did your kids think??

Originally Posted by EandCmom
    Thank you acs!!

The explaining of his absence from the game is actually a funny story. I wanted to fly under the radar too and I told my DH to tell the coach that we had made previous plans and DS wouldn't be at the game, and that is what I told the other parents too. No one questioned me further. Well last night the team had practice and my DS went to the practice. After the test today we had enough time to go to see about the last 15 minutes of his team's game. So I told him it might be a little awkward with us walking in that late and people might question where he had been. He said "oh, I told them last night". I asked what exactly he had told them. He said "I told them I was taking the 8th grade ACT for fun." His coach asked why - was he in 8th grade? He said he told him that it was just a fun test to see how much stuff you know. In fact he had a couple of the other kids wishing their moms knew about this and had signed them up!!!! LOL!!!

I was flabbergasted to say the least. But no one asked where we had been. I guess when you teach your kids to be honest, they will be honest. Anyway, I can't stop giggling about it now - so much for flying under the radar!!! smile

Ya' know, sometimes I think there's a lot to be said for just being matter-of-fact about stuff. If you just state the facts with quiet confidence and don't act like you're doing something to be embarrassed about, then--surprise!--there's nothing to be embarrassed about! People tend to react to you based on the way you present yourself.

Of course, I was probably 30 before I figured that out! smile It sounds like your DS is WAAAAAAAAY ahead of the curve on that life lesson! <patting EandCMom's DS on the back>

Great story!

Kriston
    Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM