Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    I like your tangents. The give me some idea of what to expect down the road and what I need to do. I was just reading on the Davidson Gifted Database that if the WISC IV was administered it has a very low ceiling and might look less gifted than is actually the case. So, it suggests getting someone to administer the Standford Binet LM. I'm going to look into it, because the more I look into it now the more I realize he's a lot brighter than even the school's testing indicated.

My husband is balking at the prospect of educating from home. I think I need to show him it can work before he'll consider it. The cyber charter sounds intriguing and is definitely a possibility.

Right now, I'm just finding out what stimulates Mite. His motivation is soooooooooooooooo low because of the h*ll he's been through. I'm so dismayed to discover how much he has suffered.

Well, your'e right. I need to move forward and not wallow in regrets. I've gotta get him going and put my energies into progressive efforts.

thanks

S
    S
    From the way you describe your son it sounds like he's a happy boy so like I said don't beat yourself up about the past. He has a future and that's what you have to look toward. shocked )

I know the testing my son had at the school was a WPPSI-R and the Wood****-Johnson tests. What that means in "English"...well I know very little. I know how the scores he got translate but I really didn't know there were such a wide array of IQ tests until after the fact. I actually don't know what test the Dr will use when he's tested in August but I went with her because she was highly reccommended by our ped. I did look up her credentials and she actually has several books published on a variety of topics in child psychology so I am thinking she was the right choice as far as his testing goes. One can hope anyway.

Best of luck with your husband. Mine really didn't put up a fight. I just had to answer the same questions a hundred and ninety-two times, "Is it going to cost anything? Are you sure they send him a computer? Do they really reimburse for internet and did you get that in writing? Are you sure it's considered a public school?"...and on and on. *rolling eyes* My husband second guesses me on everything one minute and the next he tells me how smart I am and I just sigh and humor him continually answering the same questions over and over and over again. It was a nerve wracking decision to pull my son from the local school and go Pa Cyber Charter at first but once we did it and I saw him flying through the material and saw his grades and how happy he was I knew I had made the right decision. We will move eventually because the schools here leave a LOT to be desired and they're only getting worse and our 3 year old daughter will NOT be staying home for any type of school or we'll all need straight jackets. *gasp* The top priority in relocation when we're ready to move will be schools because of the kids...primarily my son although it looks like our daughter is going to need some sort of enrichment for her artistic endeavors. Time will tell. At any rate, I'm sure your husband will come around. Just be sure you have all the facts before you make any leaps...and I'm sure you will. I know it's just sort of a nervous feeling at first if you're making the choice to pull out of the traditional school setting but if it comes to that...well your child has to come first. Who knows? Maybe they'll find a way to accommodate him? Keep us posted. I enjoy hearing about him! shocked )

"Learning can only happen when a child is interested. If he's not
    interested it's like throwing marshmallows at his head and calling it
    eating." -Anonymous
    A
    A
    Dypraxia is not a diagnosis of a condition but a description of the symptoms. Dyspraxia is a greek word that means you have a hard time moving. That is what my doctor told me. My daughter had dyspraxia when using her large motor skills. She is now four and a half. After 3 years of PT/OT services that early intervention/insurance payed for until she was three, and that our town payed for until this spring when she graduated from these services, and more additional services at Children's Hospital that we opted to pay for in addition to all the free ones, she is now caught up and a jock to top it all off.
    I recommend that you read "the out of sync child", a book recommended to us by Childrens Hospital. Practice makes all these skills that are not developed yet come together. Believe me.

W
    OP Offline
    W
    I'll get the book.

Mite was delayed in large motor development during his preschool years. He had 18 months of OT and the lower limbs are now up to par; however, his upper limb fine motor skills still aren't there completely. His upper limit reaction speed measured at 10 years 11 months, but fine motor score at 4 year 11 months. He's 8.

He's great at jump rope. He great at soccer! He's lousy at bouncing a ball, drawing, writing, etc. So, some large motor things aren't there in the upper limbs yet and some are.

Willa Gayle
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM