Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 104 of 268 1 2 102 103 104 105 106 267 268
    O
    O
    I scored !!!!!10!!!! Calvin and Hobbs books from good will at $1.oo each. I still can't believe it. I almost felt guilty taking all of them, but I know they will go to good use. If laughter is the best medicine, DS will have plenty.

S
    S
    WOW OTGmom...that's Awesome!! Congrats to you!!

I
    I
    What a deal! Use those super skills to look for Foxtrot next, that is the other series my gifted kid LOVED.

Ds10's report card came out a bit better than expected! He usually does well, but I thought he definitely had some rough spots last quarter with missing assignments and organization.
    He also got his review from gifted class and is doing very well there, it is wonderful to see.
    The teacher has a dialogue with students on paper as they progress through different projects and it is interesting to see he is moving into more bold thinking, even a fun relationship with the teacher. It is usually hard to tell from the outside how things are going so it is always a pleasant surprise to get a glimpse like this.
    I need to send her a sincere note about how well SHE is doing with him! wink

I'll post my giddy new mother brags. My princess(4m) has started to roll from her back to her side. She holds her legs straight up in the air, then throws them to the side, pauses, then turns her top half. Then she looks up, face beaming with pride. Seemingly saying, I did that!

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Beautiful, La Texican, congrats of the bundle of energy!! laugh

This is more of a funny story and less of a brag. We went to a restaurant last night which has a great outside space with a huge play area for the kids. DD (age 4) and a little boy were trying to one up each other and he decided to climb a tree. DD turned to the playground rules and said "Hey, you can't do that! It clearly says No climbing trees!". My husband asked if I read her the rules ... uh, no. Thanks to her being a sneaking reader we really have no idea how much she can read.

Today, we were leaving the respirologist -- only the second time we've been -- and from behind the stroller, I asked the alergist "which way?" and DS said "Right, Left, Down." This was not only correct, but his first ever usage of both "left" and "right."

The alergist chuckled, said "smart kid," and gave him an extra sticker.

Actually, she gave him a lot of stickers over the course of about 5 minutes when he was actually awake (he was alseep for the actual test). It was maybe no less impressive the way he played her for stickers... when she offered him a sticker, I said "just one," she said "you can have as MANY as you like!" He said "Ummmmmmm..." and made a really big show of trying to pick JUST ONE -- so that finally she handed him all the ones she caught him looking at. I like the respirologists. They're great folks.

Oh: and the REAL brag!!!! NO POSITIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

-Mich.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    I was arriving in the parking lot at a local pet store, located in a strip mall, with DS5, when he said, "That's taking things entirely too far." I shot him a quizzical look, and he said, "With babies." I hadn't noticed it yet, but next to the pet store was a new store called "buybuy BABY".

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    DD 8.5 was asked to do an extra project over spring break. It involved researching a prominent local historical figure to tie in with the class's unit on black history. This is her teacher's first foray into 'liberating the curriculum.' It has been a slow start to enrichment, 100% related to DD's crippling perfectionism. After a week and a half of torture (MY torture, because I had to practically sit and hold her hand the whole time and encourage her that she could do the research and do the typing, etc.), DD presented to the class yesterday and brought home two notes praising her efforts from the teacher and the principal. She gave a brief presentation and then quizzed the class about what she had said. They earned puzzle pieces for correct answers and then the put together a puzzle of the lady's picture. She did enjoy making the puzzle herself, so that part was a plus. Apparently, the class loved it!

DD tells me last night that it was so much fun, she can't wait to do it again. GREAT! CAN'T WAIT! (this is going to get easier... right?)

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    Page 104 of 268 1 2 102 103 104 105 106 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM