Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 355 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    T
    T
    I find this tread interesting. We have the same issues too. My DS8 has had behavioral issues since K. This year has actually been his best year so far. I see his mood changing towards school again. His general dis-satisfaction with school coming to head again. He and I have repeatedly asked his teacher for more challenging work, but receives none.

The hardest part is, his teacher does see his abilities and knows he needs more challenge, she has said this herself, but doesn't give it to him. She's too afraid to go into next year's curriculum or just doesn't want the extra work.

Is it possible to set up a little experiment at school for the teacher implement? The teacher wants a respectful well behaved child, right? Well, if your child complies, what does he get out of it? Maybe more appropriate work? Everyone gives a little. Do you think the teacher would entertain the idea? Both the teacher and the child win at getting what they want or need.

Just throwing out ideas. smile

Tall Boys,
    I followed your link and found lots of good articles -
    I particularly liked this thought:

Keep in mind that intellectual diversity must be respected. School is a place for learning. The message we give to all children about learning is linked in part to how we treat our most rapid learners. If they are ignored, exploited, damaged, held back in their progress, or teased, the message we gave to all the children is that academic learning doesn't pay for anyone.

I don't remember seeing that very important thought verbalized.
    Well Done!

I hope this can be used by all the Advocates for backsliding kids to show the teachers how important it is to take the learning needs of EVERY child seriously.

yippee!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Tall boys
    Is it possible to set up a little experiment at school for the teacher implement? The teacher wants a respectful well behaved child, right? Well, if your child complies, what does he get out of it? Maybe more appropriate work? Everyone gives a little. Do you think the teacher would entertain the idea? Both the teacher and the child win at getting what they want or need.

Tall boys, I like your idea. I had thought about that maybe if he behaves well, his reward could be to go to the fifth grade's science class (he LOVES science). But then I started thinking that it still doesn't get to the core of the issue. So this afternoon I'm going to meet with his teacher and the school district's Talented and Gifted coordinator to ask for him to be skipped to 3rd grade for the rest of the year. I'm certain he could handle the content. And I figure that since he does fine for half the school year, he could start a new half of school year again right now.

I'm positive that this will be a HUGE uphill battle, mainly because the school principal is not open to grade skipping and their 3rd grade class is already full. But I'm feeling like a mama bear right now ready to fight, fight, fight (but of course in a respectful, productive manner!) for my little bear.

T
    T
    I wish you the very best! Let us know how it goes.

Originally Posted by NTmom
    [Tall boys, I like your idea. I had thought about that maybe if he behaves well, his reward could be to go to the fifth grade's science class (he LOVES science). But then I started thinking that it still doesn't get to the core of the issue. So this afternoon I'm going to meet with his teacher and the school district's Talented and Gifted coordinator to ask for him to be skipped to 3rd grade for the rest of the year. ... And I figure that since he does fine for half the school year, he could start a new half of school year again right now.

I think the full skip, and removing the cause of behavior problems is much wiser than getting into 'carroting' with the science. It seems to me that the temptation to 'drive the adults crazy' is so strong in these 'jump for the carrot' situations, that many kids decide that they'd rather watch the adults go ballistic than get their beloved learning.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    It seems to me that the temptation to 'drive the adults crazy' is so strong in these 'jump for the carrot' situations, that many kids decide that they'd rather watch the adults go ballistic than get their beloved learning.

Good point, Grinity!!! LOL!

Originally Posted by NTmom
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    It seems to me that the temptation to 'drive the adults crazy' is so strong in these 'jump for the carrot' situations, that many kids decide that they'd rather watch the adults go ballistic than get their beloved learning.

Good point, Grinity!!! LOL!
    Now if you can get the teacher and school system to swallow the argument the rest seems easy.
    Good Luck!
    G

NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I just got back from the meeting with DS's teacher and the District Talented and Gifted coordinator. They both are supportive of the idea of moving him to 3rd grade. However, DS's teacher is worried about his immaturity. She said he probably is the most immature student in the class. (Yikes!) But she confirmed that she thinks he is "just bored out of his mind".

Now I have to set up a meeting with the principal. He will be a HUGE hurdle!

Thank you again for everyone's support and feedback. It's invaluable!

I have found that maturity comes for us from modeled behavior. When D8 landed in a 7th grade math class, he was a very immature 7 year old. Within two weeks of hangin' with the big kids, his behavior began to mirror theirs.

We haven't had any problems in months and the only time he got in trouble was for running out of the room without asking to go to the bathroom. When I asked him why he didn't ask, he said quite simply "there wasn't time!"

Point is, your DS probably will be a little immature at first, but he will adjust to fit in. Good Luck!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Excellent point Shari. I think immature behavior could stem from 2 issues.
    1. Extra sensitivity without extra grace
    2. A child trying to mimic age peer behavior and overdoing it because to the child the age peers behavior looks so babyish.
    Ok add
    3 More bordom than they are emotionally equipt to deal with.

Anyway. Glad u passed hurdle 1 and 2. Good luck with hurdle 3.
    Remember to urge your princ to trust his staff and be willing to sign a document accepting risk of whatever has the princ spooked. Shows that you are serious and confident. Settle for agreeing to a trial if you must. Suggest that the coordinator meet with him every 2 weeks to be sure everything is ok.

Good luck
    G

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students