Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    I think no matter what system you're using, you have to work out something where the child can either get help from the teacher or back out and bring it home. DS had been using ALEKS in the classroom up until January. When he needed a different explanation than the one in the program, his teacher wouldn't help him. He brought it home and I explained it, he moved on.

We've had this happen too.

JB

S
    S
    good points, and other program issues. I know last year DS6's school bought a program for him to use that was messed up and not working right half the time. no one know how to fix it so he didn't use it consistently. Sometimes it wouldn't work right and move him along. He would explain the problem repeatedly, but no one could help and they thought he was asking for help with the work. I think it is pretty normal for a kid to need to ask for help from time to time and still be working "independently" If you have to sit next to them the whole time and explain every step then that is a different story.

P
    Percy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks for all the input. I don't really want my DS to necessarily work independently, but he is in 1st grade and goes to a second grade class for Math and it is still very easy.

I am just thinking of and trying to get opinions on different options to think about, so I really do appreciate all the comments on the different programs here.

They have ALEKS at my DS's school but not until 3rd grade. I am definitely going to look into Khan and Alcumus. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM