Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 248 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi everyone, a friend and I are starting a SENG Model Parent Group in North Wales, Pennsylvania. SENG groups are guided discussion groups focused on the social and emotional needs of gifted children. More about SENG groups can be found here: http://www.sengifted.org/smpg_parent_groups.shtml.

If you're local and are interested in more details about our group, please see www.tie-llc.com/seng.

Thanks!

L
    OP Offline
    L
    SENG is sponsoring a survey to help educate doctors and the public about gifted kids and to support appropriate training for doctors and medical personnel. Parents of gifted children can participate here: http://survey.constantcontact.com/survey/a07e38orwy5gi8y8b2f/start

Just took the survey and it gave me pause. We are moving and I have to find a new pediatrician. I like our current one and I realized by taking the survey she
    Listened about issues related to giftedness. Not sure how this can factor into choosing a new one but seems like it should!

DeHe

I
    I
    That's interesting, DeHe. I just took the survey and had the opposite reaction. I realized my pediatrician really has zero interest in my dd's giftedness. It really never bothered me that much because I think she is sound medically and I have found the support I need on this board and through my childrens' school. However, had I looked to this pediatrician to point me in the right direction, I'm pretty sure I'd still be running around in circles.

Irisheyes,
    My ped didn't offer anywhere near the useful info I have found here. And on most visits was all about medical stuff, but on the well visits she was blown away by what he could do but basically just talked about offering options so he isn't doing what he is good at all the time. Where it came into play, was after we had the wpssi test, the psyc recommended OT we went to her and she didn't dismiss or brush it off and really did seem to appreciate the psych's point that the disparities would produce frustration and she didn't tell us boys fine motor develops later just wait. I think it just made me think that she focused on him as a whole child including his abilities. Now I am more bummed we are leaving her!

DeHe

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM