Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 165 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    It makes me glad that DS3 isn't reading yet. (Though he is writing, if that makes any sense...I think there was someone else who had that some sort of weirdness with their child. CFK, was it you? Can't remember.)

Though I think my worries about 2E with him negate any sighs of relief I might have from his lack of early reading...

<taking two or three swigs before passing the bottle>

It was most likely me. Complete normal for us. LOL DS5 memorized hundreds of words when he was 2 and used to type them on the computer over and over. He also used to take books with simple words and type the words. May be that's why he is such a good speller wink

DS3 never did this, so we were taken aback once he started reading. I recovered quite fast saying that we will see if he would be able to read chapter books when he is 3. Some people (read me) just cannot be helped, you know. BTW He says that he doesn't want to read chapter books yet, so here you go wink

LMom
    kimck #9604 02/24/08 07:21 PM
    kickkball,
    Seems like you are on the right track. Perhaps local K if you can find a 'non-academic' half day program (with or without early enterance,) and then skip first to Gifted Magnet for 2nd.

Good luck with the wet children - I just turned over my clean, wet one to DH for the last leg into sleep. Luck for me, DH is great at quiet creeping, as DS sleeps with 'both ears open.'

Don't worry about College at 11. My son is Ruf level III (I think - can't remember that well) and tests at 3rd SD, and seems to be well on track with College at a young 17. Of course he may take a college class over the summer or one in the evening to keep the challenge level right, but I think that if you can accomidate when they are young, and teach good work ethic, you will have more choices at age 11. I like the trip to Europe Gap year idea!

Some kids do college locally at 11, and then 'sleep away college' at 17 - the point is to meet their needs, and not get too hung up on 'what it looks like.' Serious involvement in Music or Dance can eat up a lot of time (did I say that aloud?)and is great for teaching many life lessons.

The key thing is, that no matter what you do, you do not have to do it alone, or amoung people who think you are nuts.

And maybe it's a good time to remember what pleasures these dear children are - I have friends who say that they find spending so much time with their own children to be boring. I felt like I finally came home after my DS was born. I know, I'm not supposed to be using him to fill my needs for decent conversation - but I seriously was in Gifted Denial and didn't set up my life in such a way that a portion of my social life was spent with 'likeminded' women - that's why I'm here so much, but I'm fixing it in real life too!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    LMom #9611 02/24/08 08:13 PM
    Originally Posted by LMom
    It was most likely me. Complete normal for us. LOL DS5 memorized hundreds of words when he was 2 and used to type them on the computer over and over. He also used to take books with simple words and type the words. May be that's why he is such a good speller wink

Aha! Thanks for jogging my memory. I knew it was somebody with a letter-heavy name! I just forgot which specific letter. <grin>

Kriston
    Mia Offline
    "F-bomb."

LOL, yep, that was me about 2.5 months ago. I'm now on "Crappiness runs in a circular motion ...."

:-D

Mia
    Mia #9619 02/25/08 07:28 AM
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    HAHAHAHAHAH ... crappiness runs in circular motion!!!!! Oh great!

Let's step back and clarify so I can reliquish my decision process to you :-)

You suggest half-day K now and maybe skip 1. But to clarify, if I send #2 who is 4.5 to K we already going (very) early entrance with a Jan 19th birthday. So I don't see turning around and skipping 1 or is the suggestion to keep her in a pre-school program for the 08-09 year and go to gifted all day K instead of skipping into 1st? Make sense.

At least, i think I'm gaining more appreciation for the school. i should be more thankful that I have an all inclusive option that is free (minus gas and the siter we hire for me to pick up during nap time) regardless of its location. to have a charter school you know - failing district and this one has all the "glories" in the community that come with a severally economically depressed neighborhood.

also thanks for being so generous with your time. i wish you could have seen the shrink reacting to me after the assessments - you know ho with goes with the first.... I totally back peddled about why I wanted it done... and he kept saying come on, you had to know. and many of you understand - if not all - that you just might not. these kids are the only ones i've watched grow... we've picked up friends along the way but not enough to say my kid is different from all not just a few. I remember seeing a kindergarten goals sheet when I was looking for a 4 year old pre-school program and thinking, you are kidding right. you doesn't know their abcs and 123s, etc.

Also thanks to the post w personal experience to say our 99.9 is different than the 98/99th. It helps now making decisions and it will help as we make decisions that have to serve our whole family not just one child. Two weeks we'' know about #2 but we have to be careful not to trap ourselves into a perfect decision that only serves gt if #3 doesn't fall in or so high. she's only a year and a half. uh, course she seems to know half the alphabet so I didn't claim to be smacked out of denial yet.

How did it take me a year to check out this part of the davidson site!

Oh, as for dh and the bath - explain to me how he didn't notice that the 6 yr old who showered vs the 2 in the bath - came out with the same bun in her hair she went in with... think it out babe do you think that head is actually clean. oh well, we'll go with the 80% rule on that!

acs #9620 02/25/08 07:43 AM
    K
    K
    Ok acs - that does actually sound like DS. He could identify signs, etc from a young age (I don't remember when!), but at the time I definitely thought all toddlers could do that.

But didn't care to read until he could read something more involved like that. He was a very active preschooler! He will focus for hours on "his" projects though.

#9633 02/25/08 08:38 AM
    Hmmm...Is it perhaps semi-normal for GT kids to write before they read? It seems like several of these kids did.

Kriston
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    GT or not, I think most kids can write before they can read - if we qualify writing as copying or writing sight word. this we did, but if you mean write bunches of stuff they didn't ask me to write out first or copy from a book not here. Both started writing their names around 2.5 and writing copycat stuff closer to 3. our problem is we are paying a price for letting them teach themselves... I don't know if the 6yr will ever make letters according to rules. hopefully it won't impact learning cursive?

my dd was reading chapter books at 3 (self tought to read) but did not learn to write until they started school in 1st grade (6 yrs).

Writing, far more than reading, seems to be how DS3 is learning his letters. He had no interest in letters whatsoever until he started writing. Now he says, "Mommy, I want to write ____."

I show him how to make the letters he doesn't already know, and he's off to the races.

Kriston
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM