Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    lisamac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    From what I remember the VCI was very balanced, but I will get actual numbers next week. DS used to be very reserved even around other children, only one friend at a time. In the past couple years he has become very social as long as he knows someone in the group but remains steadfastly reserved if he doesn't know someone. Unlike most, he sits back and observes until he knows he can do something himself, then he just does it. The psych says his planning skills are remarkable. The problem is then that it's mastered and finished, and he wants to move on. Hence our issues with traditional classroom education...having to do things over and over is the bane of his existence. Interesting that you said "Good luck" getting the MAP scores...that is EXACTLY the phrase our school psych used when we asked for them. She said they had nothing to do with grade level.

Originally Posted by lisamac
    Interesting that you said "Good luck" getting the MAP scores...that is EXACTLY the phrase our school psych used when we asked for them. She said they had nothing to do with grade level.
    Just make a written request. You could also get a lawyer friend to write a letter on their letter head. Or ask the gifted school to call and ask for the actual numbers (not the percentile.) The idea is to look at various schools and say 'where would I have to put this kid so that he would be at the top 10% but not in the top 1%? 3rd grade,4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade?'

Each school has a different batch of kids in each grade level, so with the raw score of MAP you can compare 'apples to apples' - at least sort of.

The assumption is that teacher are good at what they do, and will teach to the 'readiness level' of the classroom where you child is, and as long as your child is near the pack they will do well.

Remember this?
    At a gathering of 49 Nobel Prize recipients at the White House on April 29, 1962, John F. Kennedy noted that never before had such talent been assembled in one room, except, perhaps, when Thomas Jefferson dined alone.

I don't care what the number on the classroom door says - I don't want my kid in any classroom where he is getting the feeling that he is dining alone.

Get your tires checked and your oil changed and stock up on some great audio presentations. ((wink and smile))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    When I was having trouble getting accurate MAP reports from the school, I learned that the score will come up at the end of the test. I asked my kids to write this number down and give it to me so I could look up the above grade level percentiles. I'd ask your son if he remembers this number and if not, ask him to remember or write it down for you in the future.

P.S. Since it's a private school I don't think you'll have much luck with FERPA:
    http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/parents.html
    FERPA is a Federal law that applies to educational agencies and institutions that receive funding under a program administered by the U. S. Department of Education. Parochial and private schools at the elementary school levels do not generally receive such funding and, therefore, are not subject to FERPA.

Last edited by inky; 02/01/11 07:35 AM. Reason: P.S.
    L
    lisamac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Received scaled scores.
    VCI - SI 14/VC 13/CO 9 (Dottie, you were right)
    PRI - BD 16/PCn 14/MR 19
    WMI - DS 19/LN 18
    PSI - CD 14/SS 15

Any other numbers that would be helpful?

L
    lisamac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    How do I know what the GAI is - can I figure it out myself? What I have in front of me is a copy of the front page of the WISCIV Record Form. There is no indication of "GAI" but I'm sure it's in this bunch of boxes & numbers somewhere...

C
    C
    You can figure his GAI using WISC Technical Report #4 . With the numbers you have, I'm getting 129, 97th percentile. For kids with lower supporting skills in WMI and PSI, the GAI can be helpful but b/c your ds has such high WMI & PSI, you'd probably want to stick with the higher FSIQ.

Last edited by Cricket2; 02/01/11 08:31 AM.
    A
    A
    Hm. I'm not as sanguine about a spike-low Comprehension score, especially in the context of Picture Concepts being the low man on the PR totem pole. Both rely on "real world" information. Depends a lot on *why* that score was low and the kid's academic and developmental history.

L
    lisamac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    We discussed the "real world" issue w/psych. She gave us an actual example because we were so confused by the score. I know she's not supposed to do that, but she was trying to make a point both about his being "immature". ? was something about smoke - DS based his response on HIS real world experience, Our next door neighbor has bonfires all the time, and the smoke comes directly into our house. I have allergies to smoke, so I complain and run around closing windows. We have never discussed house fires, nor do we watch the news when he's around. As I said in an earlier post, she understood, but we can't change the scores. That's why she told us to stop sheltering him. Make sense?

Last edited by lisamac; 02/01/11 01:49 PM. Reason: possible actual test question?
    C
    C
    If that's an actual test question, you should probably edit it out since the actual questions are supposed to be kept confidential. My dd10, too, has much lower comprehension scores than the other two indices on VCI. Both times she was tested, her other two VCI scores were 18/18 and 17/19, but comp was 15 once and 12 the other time, if I recall correctly.

From what the psychs who tested dd said, she had some atypical ways of interpreting the questions that didn't show lack of comprehension of social situations, per se, but certainly weren't what the person who wrote the test was looking for.

In the example you gave, I don't know that I'd take that type of a response as a sign of sheltering. It may just be uneven development, it could be an issue with social comprehension (such as Aspergers although I'd be loathe to consider that without significant other indicators), or it could be a variety of other reasons.

Do you have enough other kids in his age range to compare him to to see if he really seems to be socially sheltered beyond the norm? Do you know anyone else with a child his age who would be honest with you if you asked?

L
    lisamac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks for the advice about the question - I edited it out. Anyway, this is the 2nd time we've had this issue w/testing (KBIT at age 4), and like you, we were told it isn't an indication of any social problems nor Aspergers, but it was more what was "normal" for him, and he didn't give EXPECTED answers. As far as being sheltered beyond the "norm" - I have good friends with whom I discuss all of this - two have gifted kids, two do not, all are good friends with my DS. We have all been told by someone at the school that our sons are "sheltered". In particular the gifted kids my son hangs out with all learned how to read on their own around age 2 so they left picture books behind; my son didn't crawl for more than a couple weeks, he walked early, etc. He seems to sort of leapfrog those physical developmental milestones, so testing probably reflects that. Plus, I come from a family where most everyone is gifted--my 1/2 brother scored 162 on the SB in the 1970's, my dad 147, etc.--they are all little "odd" especially my brother, so I never thought anything about it when my DS sort of skipped these things. I figured it was just in line with the rest of my family! grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM