Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #93452 01/24/11 01:52 PM
    D
    DeeDee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    I am growing dissatisfied with ALEKS. DS is disinclined to click "explain," so he's not getting much actual instruction. He is nonetheless 4 grades ahead of his assigned grade/age level, finishing 7th grade ALEKS as a 3rd grader. Thinking about switching to Singapore Math, but I'm not sure what I'd have to buy.

It's nice that they have placement tests on the site, so I'm not too concerned about level. Reviewing a little wouldn't kill him in any case. What I'd like to know is this: is just buying a Primary Math Workbook enough? Or do I need the textbook plus workbook plus home guide in order for this to work?

I don't see where Singapore includes geometry constructions and that sort of thing (bisecting a line with a compass, etc)-- and I would love for DS to have more practice with this. Anyone know of good paper-and-pencil resources for practicing these skills?

Thanks,
    DeeDee

M
    M
    At the elementary levels, I'd recommend the textbook and "Challenging Word Problems" books, especially the newly revised versions which seem better to me than the ones available a year ago. The textbooks include the instruction as well as a fair number of practice and review problem sections. The textbook problems are targeted at exercising the learned material, and the workbooks are mostly more of the same, while the CWP includes some problems which are a bit more complex. Their website has sample pages of everything to get sense of the content. We're still in the elementary books, so I don't yet have experience with the grade 7+ books.

G
    G
    We're going to have the same problem you do, since DS6 is midway through 4th grade EPGY and will top out of the OE 7th grade curriculum by 3rd grade at this rate. I do think the instruction in EPGY is better than in ALEKS, and you can't jump around so you get the lecture automatically before each new piece.

We also use Rightstart Math. At DS's (and certainly your DS's) levels, most of the curriculum is too light. However, I think it's really fabulous with geometry. It incorporates a lot of drawing, math-art concepts, and manipulatives to make it fun, too.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    I don't know if you like this. I've known artists who said good things about it:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/0060926716/ref=aw_d_cr_books
    Same thing, different site:
    http://www.constructingtheuniverse.com/

Browsed quickly down the amazon trail while I fed the baby and read amongst the reviews and offerings that origami paper folding is a nice kind of hands on side trip for this subject. Man I like seeing all the great things there are to learn.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    G
    G
    I forgot to add a recommendation for Life of Fred. My friend has an 8 year old at 5th grade math and a 10 year old at 7th grade math levels, and they love this one. I'm about to look at it for DS, too.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    K
    K
    I have taken my oldest (4th grader) through the entire elementary Singapore series and now he is into the Singapore New Elementary Math series (NEM1 and 2 cover beginning algebra and geometry). I also have a math degree and am a little obsessed about math curriculum(ok - quite a bit. Have a large pile here of various options).

I think even the base workbook is going to have deeper problems than a curriculum like Alex will have. Singapore problems tend to require application of knowledge to unique problems sooner than other curriculum will. I know another family with a GT boy that is testing 4 grade levels ahead, that came back 3 grade levels to start in Singapore. You can race through a few levels this way anyway. I absolutely do recommend the CWP too, but I think even the base Singapore curriculum is going to considerably deeper than most elementary curriculum. We did have an Alex account for a couple months, but I considered more a way to have extra practice. My son did 3 grade levels of Singapore as a 2nd grader (when we started homeschooling, so I started at grade level). And he did 2 levels as a 3rd grader. Which brought him ready to tackle algebra. One downside of Singapore is that 6A/B does cover some pre-algebra but not enough to jump into most rigorous Alg. 1 programs. Which had me looking at pre-algebra programs which all looked really easy and hokey compared to Singapore.

Whether or not you need the teacher's book really depends on you and your child. If you're math comfortable and/or your child tends to work independently, probably not. If you like some hints to sit down and discuss, you might want it. I've heard people say they wouldn't use Singapore without the teacher's guide. I've never owned the teacher books through the elementary series.

We've also been very happy with the NEM series (1st book anyway). It is extremely challenging. It's not quite the workload of the AoPS books (art of problem solving), but they have plenty of challenge and depth. We're moving fairly slowly! But had we taken AoPS, we'd be crawling and my son would probably be frustrated with the speed and not getting to new concepts faster. He has no problem with concepts, but is not computationally the fast kid around.

D
    DeeDee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks, all. I will definitely get the word problems (DS's weaker spot, if there is one). And shoot for the textbooks first, hoping that there are enough practice problems in there to keep DS happy. And save the workbooks for a later shopping "trip" should that become necessary. Does that sound like I have it right?

Does Singapore start geometric constructions in level 7? I'm looking for something that is like what I did in grade 7, and what DS is doing in ALEKS level 6 and 7-- but on paper instead of on screen. It's hard for me to tell what the level of the Rightstart geometry materials is... and I'd hate to make a mistake at that price.

Kimck, what did you choose for pre-algebra? It won't be long for us, even if we review through Singapore 5-6 this year.

DS has Life of Fred: Fractions and didn't care for it. The ratio of words to math was too high. I thought it was hilarious, though, and a more patient kid would probably love it.

Keep those thoughts coming-- I appreciate them.

DeeDee

C
    C
    This is not a content heavy workbook, but it does have fun compass and straightedge exercises. My dd is a little younger. She did this book last summer when she just turned 8.

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Build...ooks&qid=1295930193&sr=8-1-spell

Warning: sleep deprived
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Thanks, all. I will definitely get the word problems (DS's weaker spot, if there is one). And shoot for the textbooks first, hoping that there are enough practice problems in there to keep DS happy. And save the workbooks for a later shopping "trip" should that become necessary. Does that sound like I have it right?
    We don't use the workbooks, only the textbooks.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by DeeDee

Great idea! Sounds like a good compromise. Best of luck.

G
    G
    Kimck, I'm so glad to know that you're a math parent! If I were going back to pure books, I think Singapore would be my first choice.

Since we're going to hit the ceiling on EPGY OE pretty soon, do you think it's feasible to leap from an online program like EPGY back into Singapore at the higher-elementary/middle school level? (Currently at 4th; hoping to use OE through 7th.) With programs like Rightstart, they say kids get confused if they don't come up the levels from the near-beginning.

Thanks for your advice!

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by gratefulmom
    Kimck, I'm so glad to know that you're a math parent! If I were going back to pure books, I think Singapore would be my first choice.

Since we're going to hit the ceiling on EPGY OE pretty soon, do you think it's feasible to leap from an online program like EPGY back into Singapore at the higher-elementary/middle school level? (Currently at 4th; hoping to use OE through 7th.) With programs like Rightstart, they say kids get confused if they don't come up the levels from the near-beginning.

Absolutely! In fact, I think it's a great idea if you're trying to buy a little time before you reach higher level math. I think Singapore (and especially their deeper workbooks) can really stretch a mathy kid. I know a GT mathy kid that just jumped in at 3B without using any curriculum previously. I'd just recommend checking out placement tests. Even if you have to go back a little further than you expect, a GT kid can really race and it's easy to compact and skip around. We did a short stint with EPGY too.

Good luck! smile

M
    M
    Singapore does use a certain approach to solving certain kinds of problems called the "Singapore Model Method" which is fairly simple but might be unfamiliar at first. Some of the CWP problems in the later grades lend themselves to solution using the method and might be more challenging if you don't know it.

Look at the Chapter 2 samples from CWP4 for an example:
    http://www.singaporemath.com/Challenging_Word_Prob_for_Primary_Mathematics_4_p/pmcwp4.htm

D
    DeeDee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Mark, is the Singapore Model Method presented in the textbooks and workbooks explicitly, or does one have to have absorbed it from the beginning?

All this feedback is very helpful-- thanks.
    DeeDee

T
    T
    They start with the lines (which I assume is the Singapore model method) in third grade. Up until then it's number bonds. But I bet you can find enough descriptions of it on blogs to introduce the concept yourself.

ETA I just googled "singapore model method" and there are several sites teaching parents how to teach it on the very first page.

Like this
    http://www.sleeplessinkl.com/2009/04/24/relearning-maths-using-the-singapore-model-method

Last edited by Tallulah; 01/26/11 03:30 PM.
    C
    C
    My DS started Singapore Math last year with 5A and he had no problem at all with Singapore model. Check out www.thesingaporemaths.com. It shows how the model is used to solve word problem step by step.

I'll chime in here that my spouse and I (both scientists with terminal degrees and former Uni educators) love Singapore Math's approach to teaching elementary mathematics.

Seriously-- this is pedagogically the best thing going IMO. It teaches kids applied mathematics right from the get-go, setting them up perfectly to use math as a tool in physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering disciplines later on. No drill-and-kill here, and it teaches terrific algebraic problem-solving skills in holistic way throughout the curriculum. LOVE that.

We used Primary Mathematics with our DD up to level 4 (I think)... both textbook and workbook (I'd have her do only ~ 1/4th of the problems and leave it at that if she had mastery), and also the CWP workbooks. She used to really look forward to doing the CWP problems. I used to use them as bribes to do the textbook/workbook material.

Nothing that our public schools are using even compares; this is my one serious, lasting regret about going to a public charter school. <sniff-sniff> Five years later and this is the first year that my daughter is actually excited about math again (honors geometry).

It's just a nice bonus that Singapore is inexpensive. A year's worth of materials used to run us just about $30 USD.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    J
    J
    Hello there,
    Yes, Singapore https://esingaporemath.com/signup has not really achieved anything that is recognized on the international stage. Ranking 1st in math, science and reading is meaningless when people are rote learners. To excel, one has to be trained in creativity.

Last edited by Jonnywalte5; 05/15/22 04:37 AM.
    S
    S
    I am Singaporean:) Just to add - the US version of Singapore Math is like 1-1.5 grades behind what's actually used in Singapore:)

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I had that impression, actually! I've noticed that SM primary in the USA is about .5 to 1 year ahead of standard USA curricula, but that the people I know who were educated internationally in high-math-achieving communities (including Singapore) tend to have been more like 2 years ahead. We used Star Publishing's Discovering Math secondary math series when homeschooling our children, and I realized that students on that syllabus were expected to complete most of univariate calculus by the end of the equivalent of tenth grade, which would put them about three years ahead of the typical US student, and two years ahead of an advanced US math student. And I've had friends from other countries who observed that the extent of math which high school math teachers are required to have taken for teacher certification was equivalent to what they had completed by tenth grade in their home country.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM