Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 105 of 268 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 267 268
    Originally Posted by CFK
    There seems to be a lot of new posters on the board and many seem to have voiced the same comment - that they can't share their children's accomplishments with anyone. So I think it's time for a brag thread!

What wonderful amazing things has your child done lately that you can't tell anyone? Boast away in all your glory!

I'll start: We withdrew DS11 out of the 8th grade this month and enrolled him in high school. He just got back his first ever high school assignment and got an "A"! It's a small thing I know, but confirmation for me that more acceleration was needed.

Who's next? (and I expect much more boasting details from all those posters on the "isolation thread"! Here's your chance!)

Ok. But I'll probably only tell this here, you know, to a few hundred of my closest friends and strangers (and the hubby). I thought it was cute and funny. I was nursing 5mo and 3yr old was pestering, giving her pretend cookies, pretend medicine, making compulsory random<squeak> (squawk, shriek) sounds and hopping on the bed. The girl was temporarily miserable, gassy, and hiccuping, trying to nurse herself back to sleep. I swear she said as clearly as I do "Get. Out. Of. Here." not yelling, but pausing crisply after every word. She sounded just like me. She didn't make the two t sounds, that's all. But I don't enunciate all that sharply.
    She has spells where she does non-stop pre-verbal baby babble. And sometimes if she's in a singing mood and I'm replaying her YouTube songs for her to coo and croon along with we'll hear something approximating a word or two from the song now and then. And I remember the boy clearly said "goodnight" at this age when we said it first. But the girl just appropriately used a full sentence in context. I probably won't even put that in a journal, but I really wanted to share.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    DD8's 3rd grade class is involved in an analogy competition thing called word master. A few times a year they do 20 analogies in a certain amount of time and the top 5 scores go onto the next level of the competition. The first time she did it she scored 16/20 and was in the top 5 of the grade. The second time they did it she scored 18/20 and was the high scorer of the school!
    She loves analogies and has been using them for years, so it is fun for her to be able to show her ability in school.

DS knows his letters... just not the ENGLISH ones... oops wink
    -Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    A
    A
    Just got this text today from my husband. Apparently my husband and son are at Barnes and Noble by the bargain books in the kids section. My son (15 months old), is playing with a pile of Mickey Mouse books and notices that 3 books down in the same pile there's a Princess book. All of a sudden, he starts going to other piles and lifting up the first three books to see what's underneath. After 5 to 6 times of doing this, he stops ... we're assuming that he came to the conlusion that the Mickey Mouse pile was a fluke.

And then yesterday he was walking up and down a slope over and over again. He would walk up the slope and then clap - he was so proud of himself that he could do it. He would then walk down the slope, and turn around to do it again. It really seemed to us like he was practicing and working hard to being able to walk up and down slopes without falling so much.

It's really fascinating to see how much he likes to challenge himself and work at things. That's definitely an aspect of his personality that I want to keep around.

asdgestalt.com - An autism and psychology discussion forum.
    D
    D
    So dd3 was writing some numbers and scribbles, holds it up to show, I wasn't paying attn. and was like, "oh, that's nice"--dd10 goes, "Mommy--she wrote the date!"--she had written 3-6-11, at the top of the paper by her name. Maybe this isn't that unusual? I don't know? (Her giftedness seems to show more in the problem solving area--i.e. how do I get the cookies from the top of the fridge) But I was pretty impressed! Later found out that the teacher had just started explaining to the kindergartners in her class how to write the date that way.

F
    F
    We started a solar system project last night. We are reading all sorts of books (on each planet) and building a model. Today we started the model. I am amazed at how interested both kids are and how quickly they have picked up the information (ds is 5 and dd is 7)

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com][Linked Image from img.photobucket.com][Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

F
    F
    A few months ago I received my first text from my husbands phone that my 2.3 DD at the time had composed, it said Himo for Hi mom. I am so sad because the other day I erased it by accident. Yesterday she spelled her six letter name on the keyboard!

I recently did a certification exam for my job... a really big deal, as I would have to give up my job if I failed. 8 hours of misery with oral, written and practical components. It was more stressful than I had imagined and I was really worried whle waiting for the results. DD 8.5 overheard me telling a friend that I hoped I passed because I was never going to do it again. She told me later that night that I should never say that because I was not a 'giver-upper.' She said that, otherwise, I would be a poor role model for her. How could I tell her that she needs to try hard and never give up if I was going to do it myself? Then she told me that she had faith in me. What a dressing down she gave me. I was totally humbled at the end of it and all I could do was apologize.

I found out this week that I did pass and she was more excited than anyone else. She told me that I was her hero. I want to wrap that up and keep it forever. I swear, I want to be just like that child when I grow up.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    J
    J
    Kathleen'smum:
    Oh my. That is just wonderful--thanks for sharing that!

F
    F
    My dd13 asked to have a "family meeting" to discuss rules and chores. She showed up to the meeting with three different power point presentations that she downloaded onto a variety of "computer" like things so we could all follow along. She had research on the various topics such as make-up. etc. She led a two hour meeting on what her chores should be, what her freedom should be in regards to make-up, clothes and shoes, and what the consequences should be for not following through etc. I have to admit it was one of the most pleasurably Sunday afternoons in quite awhile.

Page 105 of 268 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM