Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 102 of 268 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 267 268
    Grateful Mom,

Isn't it funny that we are the only group of parents that actually find failure to be a good thing? But congrats to your son none the less, I'm betting next year he'll slow down....

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Austin
    "Mr W, Mommy had the Womb Raider today."

AUSTIN!!! I somehow missed seeing this earlier (haven't been around that much lately). Congratulations to you, your wife, and Mr W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you're having a lovely time with your new baby! Is it a boy or a girl? Such joyous times--I so miss having a little tiny guy to hold (though the big guys are pretty great, too)!

The hubby told the boy to tell me, "bye mom. Me and dad are going to look at the pretty girls". The boy told me they were going to look at the happy girls. The hubby tried to correct the boy, but he said, "Well I want to look at the happy girls.".

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Dd4 has been improving in reading and especially in spelling out words based on how they sound. Today we were playing a game where I was asking her to write out simple " -at" words, so of course dh has to come in and ask her to spell "splat", which I thought was a bit unfair, but she totally nailed it! Not huge, but kinda hard!
    What I am most pleased to see however is her fondness for a good eraser -- it has cut down considerably on her throwing the whole notebook and pencil across the room when she notices that she got a letter shape slightly wrong! shocked
    Also, I think the eagerness to discover more words has her less stressy about the 'perfection'. (I hope!)

Last edited by chris1234; 01/15/11 01:23 PM.
    A
    A
    Chris1234,

We used magnetic letters to play spelling games because it helped take the fine motor component (which was and is a problem for my son)out of the equation. All he had to remember then was how to spell the word. He was younger than your DD, but we played one game where we took turns making words for each other to spell out and to read phonetically. He would delight in giving me loooong chains of consonants to "sound out" just to hear me sputter and contort my face. It was a great way to build word family/pattern recognition, though, because it was very obvious if I was only changing the initial letters, or the final letters, or the central vowels. She might like something like that in addition to the writing games. Sounds like she is really moving ahead in lots of ways, including the all-important decreasing perfectionism!

Thanks, Aculady, that is a great idea, I had sets of these for ds but they've sort of floated away, so I should get another magnetic set, or a foam one for the bath....

Have to add another brag on ds10; we took a bit of a break on the algebra, but today he was back at it and simplifying his first polynomial expressions.

Originally Posted by minniemarx
    Hope you're having a lovely time with your new baby! Is it a boy or a girl? Such joyous times--I so miss having a little tiny guy to hold (though the big guys are pretty great, too)!

Its a girl. She is way more active than Mr W was at the same age. Especially from 1130 pm to 230 AM. ugh

M
    M
    Ugh is the word...hope you'll be sleeping better soon!

Congrats Austin!! (hope you're not up right now wink

Had to add to the brag thread this morning.

DD10 (skipped this year to 5th from 4th) did her first speech in Social Studies. She got an A, 110%!

Gotta celebrate the small accomplishments along the way.

The impossible is just something that hasn't happened yet.
    Page 102 of 268 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM