Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 322 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Also, DD's principal (who is a piece of work) told us after giving us these scores that there are "at least 3 and probably 5" kids in her class who are as gifted as she is. Note that she is in a class of 11.
    this is a standard line - not sure why, but the standard response is:

"I'm so glad to hear it, that's exactly what we are hoping for! - so it would really benefit about half the class for the teacher to provide reading material such as (fill in dd's recent favorite books) and provide math enrichment that includes (fill in dd's recent Math interests.) When do you think it's reasonable for me expect to see homework at this level coming home in my dd's backpack? Do you need me to help organize volunteer to help the other kids while the teacher works with this advanced group?"

Bring in samples of Book reports and Math sheets in dd's handwriting to show that you aren't just making stuff up.

If you've been taking notes all along, this is a great time to raise the pen expectantly and write down whatever the principle says next. You can sort of mutter/repeat what the principle said as you are writing it down, so the Principle has a chance to hear how it sounds. Not pretty usually. As if you are taking notes for a school board meeting or local newspaper - but you don't have to say that.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    She does very well with online learning and would probably enjoy something like this this summer.

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/23/23 10:04 PM.
    A
    A
    Grinity, absolutely great advice!

I would agree completely that none of the tests are ideal, Dottie, and that the more data you have, the better!

I'd also agree that often people don't understand what the data do and don't tell them. I have had two of our local district's school psychologists who had my 7th grade son's 31 Reading and 23 Science ACT scores sitting in front of them tell me that he clearly wasn't gifted because his FSIQ of 107 and GAI of 120 on the WISC didn't support such a finding, ignoring the fact that his subtest scores ranged from 19 to 2, and that his VCI was a 134.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by aculady
    I'd also agree that often people don't understand what the data do and don't tell them. I have had two of our local district's school psychologists who had my 7th grade son's 31 Reading and 23 Science ACT scores sitting in front of them tell me that he clearly wasn't gifted because his FSIQ of 107 and GAI of 120 on the WISC didn't support such a finding, ignoring the fact that his subtest scores ranged from 19 to 2, and that his VCI was a 134.
    We've had a similar experience. When we were looking at dd12 skipping 5th grade (at the school's suggestion), we had multiple meetings with the school and the district GT coordinator (different one this time). The district coordinator looked @ dd's IQ & achievement scores and told me that she "really only has this one score that indicates she is gifted" (the 99.9th+ on part of the PRI). For some reason the other scores in the 98th & 99th on IQ as well as almost all of her achievement scores (reading, composite, writing, social studies, science...) on ITBS, MAPS, SRI lexile, and other achievement scores being in the 99th percentile meant nothing to her confused. The school GT coordinator did look at her like she was out of her mind, though -- lol!

C
    C
    DD's scores qualify her to apply to our district's gifted magnet, but I can't help wondering if she would have a better chance of admission without the one average subtest.
    I really wouldn't think that one score would make her less likely to get in. How many gifted kids are in the upper 90s on everything, really? Mine certainly aren't and I've had numerous GT teachers and other adults tell me that dd12 is one of the most gifted children they've ever worked with.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    You're probably right.

She's obviously bright, but I've never been sure where she falls when you start to slice things more thinly--it's been hard to tell if she is a garden-variety, academically oriented, motivated kid of educated parents or something more unusual.
    This is a wonderful observation, and exactly what the 'Talent Search' testing is all about. The idea is to take all the kids in the top 5% in ordinary school testing, and let them take an 'above level test' of things they haven't been taught and see how much self-teaching they've done - including what they can do spontaneously from learning from the test itself!

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Talentsearchmap.png
    to see which region you are in and look up the name of the particular group.

Most likely this sort of testing will lead to summer and various enrichment programs outside of the school day.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    It seems like all these talent searches use achievement testing, not IQ. I don't have any achievement scores--DD's school avoids them except when legally necessary. Is there anything except Davidson that uses IQ scores?

C
    C
    Are you meaning that talent searches use achievement testing for admission? Usually there is a way around that if you don't have achievement data. I know that the one in Denver will take a teacher recommendation and I bet that they'd take her RIAS scores if you wanted her to take a talent search test.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    "Are you meaning that talent searches use achievement testing for admission?"

Yes, seems like. I may be missing something. I am just barely dipping my toe into that stuff.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM