Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    G
    G
    Hi Lori,

My DS6 was very simliar to yours in K. He's now 6 and at about a 4th grade level, including in EPGY math. We had similar math issues starting up. DS wants to do it all in his head and skip the usual process, and he's resistant to learning the "slow" way. Many gifted educators have told me that this is extremely common in these children because they see it differently than most kids do. (For younger ones, I've also been told that PG kids tend to hate manipulatives, b/c they see it in their mind vs in their hands, like most little kids need).

There seem to be some good PG math programs out there for the upper grades. I'm hoping a parent of older ones will step in here to help, since we're not there yet. We like EPGY, but I see a lot of rave reviews about The Art of Problem Solving classes, and I think there's another one that incorporates music. (Anyone?) With EPGY, my DS likes it because he doesn't have to write out the problems, so he can figure them out in his head however he wants. It also keeps from spiraling, which is very burdensome for these kids in the regular math curriculums.

I'm so sorry about his migraines. I am certainly not medically-trained, but I find the neuropsychologist's findings odd. When I get a migraine, I can barely make a pot of coffee, much less answer a math problem. I very much hope something can be done to alleviate that for him.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    Lori H. #92988 01/18/11 09:33 AM
    A
    A
    Lori,

You can tell that that neuropsych has never had a migraine. Migraines can absolutely impair cognitive functioning.

http://www.diseaseamonth.com/article/S0011-5029%2807%2900027-2/abstract

Last edited by aculady; 01/18/11 09:36 AM.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by gratefulmom
    Hi Lori,

There seem to be some good PG math programs out there for the upper grades. I'm hoping a parent of older ones will step in here to help, since we're not there yet. We like EPGY, but I see a lot of rave reviews about The Art of Problem Solving classes,
    We have used Art of Problem Solving classes for the Intro levels. We are currently working through some texts from them on our own, but will probably return for higher level Number Theory and perhaps Calculus. My dd loves the books and the classes. However, the classes can be fairly time consuming and intense.

M
    M
    Where did you find these classes? did you just google it?

We are not homeschooling, but I am going to get our daughter through high school and receive an education. Our schools here are not very good, but she loves their music program. We have a (fairly bad) community college. I work at it so I know which classes for her to take.

One huge problem in Colorado(and probably elsewhere) is the lack of British Lit courses. Where do homeschoolers take this course?

Ellipses #95662 02/27/11 12:01 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Ellipses
    One huge problem in Colorado(and probably elsewhere) is the lack of British Lit courses. Where do homeschoolers take this course?

At home. wink

Here are some resources if you are interested in creating an AP Brit Lit course at home for your child:

http://www.kn.att.com/wired/fil/pages/listaplitma.html

http://www.collegeboard.com/html/apcourseaudit/courses/english_lit.html

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/english_lit/samp.html?englit

Or you could just enroll your student in FLVS's online AP English Literature and Composition course.

http://www.flvs.net/areas/flvscourses/Pages/APCourses.aspx

I am really looking for British Lit. She will be going to Britain in the summer.

mudgrlmom #95702 02/28/11 09:10 AM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by mudgrlmom

You can find the information from their website:
    http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/School/index.php?

Ellipses #95731 02/28/11 12:13 PM
    Originally Posted by Ellipses
    I am really looking for British Lit. She will be going to Britain in the summer.

Have you checked with The Open University for coursework in literature? That might be a good place to start.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by mudgrlmom
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    I am limited to the way I was taught, which until I had this child, was what I thought the only way of doing things. I have to write everything out to get the answers.
    Lol, kids will do that to you. smile husbands too smile smile

So, what would you want out of homeschooling anyway? (not you Lori, yours is born of necessity and a mother's love). Would you be wanting a better education? Are you currently afterschooling at all?
    Would you be wanting more free unstructured time and less repitition? You could teach to the test like the schools do and work only in the mornings and do two years cirriculum per year and have earned that extra half a day free time every day.

Howler Karma, you mentioned elsewhere the distinction between gifted who specialize well vs those who generalize well; I wanted to ask you, having been there, for one who naturally should end up specializing eventually would you recommend guiding them twords resources and mentors throughout their childhood or do you think it's better if they are left alone to find their own?

The well trained mind forum is the big one for homeschooling cirriculums. I also like to browse the reviews from amazon for Cirriculum books/softwares that look interesting. You could always google around and post a link here asking about curriculums you might like. Do you want the cheapest way to go? Do you want the richest content? Do you want it very tailored, or is the public school stuff fine as long as you can go at your own pace? I'm a window shop-a-holic for curriculum right now. I don't even think I'll end up homeschooling so the kids can be fully ingrained by their culture here. But I'll still teach them stuff. :P

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM