Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    T
    T
    In order to change public opinion by sharing new ideas or information that alot of people never hear about, we need a movie. Possibly a weekly series. I wonder what other people think of this as possibly a way to bring about changes in public opinion.

P
    P
    What a great topic!

Hi all. I am new and i suspect I have a gifted son (10). I am just begining the whole process of "what do I do now?" but I have always thought that the public school systems were a failure. There's a long story but I am personnally a ghost of "gifted programs" past. Today i feel that "No student left behind" (NCLB) is really "No student forges ahead", and perhaps much of that is due to being from Massachusetts (I'll wait for the "BOO"s to die down).

I don't remember exactly when i first heard of the promises of individualized learning, maybe it was with 'The Jetsons' and seeing little Elroy with his robotic computer of a teacher. I always looked forward to the day when i could advance at my own pace instead of looking out the window or drawing pictures in class. Never happened, and i pretty much became disgusted with all schools. I see the same starting with my 10 year old.

I think bk1 is exactly on the right path with the comment that the new process should work for all students. As a matter of fact it is critical. The moment that the perception is that some students are getting special attention the game is lost. That's what NCLB was all about.

I have chatted in education forums (within Mass.) and the concensus seemed to be among educators that it would be impossible to administer to the needs of individual curriculum, that it would be a nightmare for teachers and administrator alike. I think that's due to the thinking that it would be something along the lines of what today's programs are like. Instead, i think it HAS to be radically different.

I don't have a clear idea of what it would be, as i am just starting on this search. This forum sounds like a good place to start bouncing ideas around. Hopefully this becomes an active forum!

Rob

Originally Posted by PoppaRex
    I don't have a clear idea of what it would be, as i am just starting on this search. This forum sounds like a good place to start bouncing ideas around. Hopefully this becomes an active forum!

Rob

Welcome Rob - Go ahead and do an introduction post on the Parenting and Advocacy Forum. Introduce us to your 10 year old, and what kinds of resources you've tried to get into them, and what you've read so far. It's amazing how terrible school looks when it doesn't meet your needs, but watching as my son progressed through school I realized that there is so much to love about our current school systems, and the people in them - they just didn't come anywhere near meeting my individual needs.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    O
    O
    Meeting individual needs is what Montessori is about. Right? Can we just adopt this system? or something similiar? Is not the wheel already invented here to a degree?

My son went to a Montessori like preschool thru 1st. There he was taught to do work that was right for him. If it was to easy or too hard he could get different work. This was 8 kids to 1 teacher. At our current school, (that we are leaving) they give CANDY rewards for school work/behavior while the prior school taught the kids to be proud of themselves and enjoy challenges. Quick fixes rather than developing the desire to do the right thing is not as long lasting. It's seems counter productive to give a child a prize for reading 20 books which detracts from the real internal prize.

Why are they giving kids candy on a weekly basics at school? Has anyone heard about childhood obesity on the rise? Ok, I know I'm going off subject, but I just had to say this.

I think it would be wonderful if it was required to know students ability which means above level testing. Could grades be based on progress and effort? Pretesting needs to be part of the solution.

Teacher need to be educated on how to teach our diverse ability population and assign kids to their level not their age/grade. More teachers/parents need to know how we compare to other countries. Parents need to tell schools what they want.

This gifted issue needs to be in the media more. How about the nightly news have regular spots on improving education. How about offering lectures to parents at schools and libraries. Is there a way to promote local gifted support groups? When I started to figure this out I did not have anyone to turn to guide me through this. School Psychologist need training on gifted kids needs.

Last edited by onthegomom; 06/10/10 01:26 PM.
    A
    A
    Fluid movement through courses and material, beginning at the elementary level, will theoretically allow students to excel in areas of strength and get extra help in other areas if needed.

If this type of educational methodology were the norm, specialized gifted education and lack of funding for gifted programs would not be an issue. Nor would funding for programs geared toward remediation. Jan Davidson hasn't presented a brand-new educational model. However, many public and private schools are still very rigid with curriculum requirements.

I'm sure there isn't one solution that is applicable to all schools in all districts, but it's clear that something needs to change.

Daa'iyah Na'im
    Director/Head of School
    The AGVI Academy for Gifted Youth
    http://AGVIgifted.org
    H
    H
    At what age are students tested for gifted in the state of Ct. What happens if a school is not meeting their needs? As a teacher of the gifted in Florida I know our sate rules and trying to help my daughter. She can not afford private school for her boys. Anyone that can help?

Last edited by Harriet1609; 12/15/10 08:43 PM.
    P
    P
    I believe working with the school will be fruitful instead of fighting it. I know many schools and districts neglect gifted education. But we can advocate gifted education in our own schools.

Accelerating the kids also come with a price that the kids' physical development (may be emotional)is behind their intellect level and sometmes feel out of place in the class room (especially >2 grades level).

We are now in internet age and online education is available through CTY or EPGY. If the kid does online education after school, it takes away their freee time and they will be bored at school listening to what they already know. I am working with the school to have my daughter take online classes (in the school library) when the class is doing Math or reading. I think it will be win-win situation except that we have to pay out of pocket for the online classes.

But if we have more kids doing it, we will apply for grant from the school district or other foundations. I just wish that there is a website like youtube with school curriculum and related videos and work sheet for the kids to learn (small fee) and kids can progress at their own pace. This could be the education reform that we need in USA.

If anyone trying to slash funds for gifted education, remind them that the digital evolution that keeps USA on top of world economy are founders of Microsoft, Intel, and silicon valley who were gifted students.

Originally Posted by Harriet1609
    At what age are students tested for gifted in the state of Ct. What happens if a school is not meeting their needs? As a teacher of the gifted in Florida I know our sate rules and trying to help my daughter. She can not afford private school for her boys. Anyone that can help?
    Florida and CT are very very different as far as gifted. In CT programs vary from school district to school district, with no mandated programing from the state at all.
    Ask your friend to post the particulars here, (start a new thread, under 'Advocacy' or she might get ignored by accident) and we will try and help brainstorm what some good next steps might be.

It is possible to get a good fit education from public school in CT, but it takes a lot of negotiation and time. The first step is to figure out what the child's needs are, and then to figure out what the school has that could meet those needs. The good news is that in CT, one won't be pushed into a 'one size fits all' gifted program in most towns - because there isn't one! And since all gifted children's needs really are individual, that can be an advantage!

Best Wishes, and thanks for being a good friend,
    Grinity

Originally Posted by Peter
    Accelerating the kids also come with a price that the kids' physical development (may be emotional)is behind their intellect level and sometmes feel out of place in the class room (especially >2 grades level).
    Welcome Peter - So glad you are finding something that works for you daughter - Yippee!
    I have to disagree with the above though - so much depends on the kid and the personality - I know gifted kids who don't find kids at their social/emotinal level until they are +3 agemates! I also know kids who are 'playing up'a few years in very competitive sports.
    I know adults who hated their gradeskips because they felt too young, and I know adults who hated their gradeskips because the skip wasn't enough!
    The more flexible the school system, the better chance of meeting the child's needs - that is certian!
    Smiles,
    Grinity

In this amazing balance-act of our childrens' education, don't forget hormones and "dating". My daughter is a little younger than her grade, but still wants to "go out" with boys. This has been a struggle - and yes, I have already had to revive Ophelia.

Older boys are more savvy at their number one goal - and I don't need to tell you what it is. While my daughter is very smart, her hormones sometimes outwit her intellect.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM