Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    K
    keet Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    My ds will go to middleschool next year, and they're talking about what classes the kids will take now. 6th graders typically take either 6th grade math or pre-algebra. However, the sd is working toward placing some 6th graders in algebra. The school he is going to has not had 6th graders in algebra yet, but they are (perhaps) open to placing a few because the sd says they should.

I was told I need to write a letter to the principal requesting the placement and supply supporting evidence. Ds has always had A's in math, he has perfect scores on his state standardized tests for 4th and 5th grades, and his teacher is all for it. I think his teacher carries the most weight because A's in math and good test scores would also place a kid in pre-algebra, I'd imagine. I think they're looking for kids who are above and beyond, but they're only testing to a certain level.

What should I give for supporting evidence besides test scores, grades, teacher letter, and a description of his passion for math? I have IQ and acheivement scores, but they're several years old. He's never taken out-of-level tests. Any ideas?

C
    C
    I don't know if this would carry any weight, but there is the Art of Problem Solving's Are You Ready for Algebra test available for free here:

http://data.artofproblemsolving.com/aops20/courses/Algebra1/PreTest.pdf

Warning: sleep deprived
    M
    M
    All the documentation you are providing sounds very sufficient. Will the school offer any placement tests? Perhaps you may also consider having your son demonstrate proficiency by taking EPGY math course? You can get into an Open Enrollment EPGY group which will allow you to take a math course at grade level of your choosing, including 7th (pre-algebra) and Beginning Algebra - for $135 a year, after Jan, it will likely be prorated. It will record percent correct by different strands, so you would be able to show his proficiency.

We were having to make the same math placement decision this summer, with DD going to MS for 6th. (I think I may have posted about it then). In her case, the choice was either pre-Algebra or Algebra and she took the test offered at school to place into Algebra, which she passed. She already had 6th grade math in 5th, since her elementary school covered curriculum 1-2 years ahead, so basically she skipped Pre-Algebra only. She is doing very well in algebra now, so in her case, it worked, but I have to say, I did my best ensuring she was really ready, and not be accelerating just for the sake of it. I had her complete the EPGY 6th curriculum, which allowed her to fill some gaps not studied in school, my goal was to have her complete EPGY 7th (pre-Algebra) too, but alas, that didn't happen since she went away for the summer. I also had her take the CTY math placement quiz for pre-algebra and algebra which we were able to download for free. (her school grades, SCAT scores and standardized test were all very, very good). Call me paranoid, but I had heard too many stories about kids moving ahead in math and then running into problems later, so I wanted to cover my basis. Indeed, there are kids in her class, who also had the 6th grade math in 5th and passed the Algebra placement but are now really struggling in Algebra - maybe it is developmental or that they weren't fully solid, but it is sad to see kids struggling so much, when they could have taken pre-Algebra, then graduated into Algebra better prepared, since that still puts them 1-year ahead.

Just some thoughts, as you consider what is the best for your DS....best of luck!

Last edited by mominsac; 12/17/10 12:28 AM.
    I can only say I wish we had even a glimmer of hope on that front! Our county just last year started offering pre-algebra to some 6th graders, so that is our best shot, but it is gonna be same-old same-old for ds10.
    Ds is doing the epgy beginning algebra and enjoying it, thankfully.

K
    keet Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    This is the first year they're considering it at his middle school, so there's no guarantee he'll be allowed to do it. It's not even public knowledge as far as I know. I just asked enough questions to get this far. It's all up to the principal.

Oooh, good question asking keet!! good luck! smile

K
    keet Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I saw a article in the newspaper about 2 sisters (I think, I might have the details wrong) who were taking classes at a community college. The cc originally said they had to be 16 to take classes, and the parents proposed if the girls could pass the placement test for algebra, they be allowed to take it. They did and were. That's not my next step if I get a no from the principal, but it might be a later one.

I work at a CC. My daughter, who was younger than 16, took a placement test at the college. Most states will allow a student to take courses when younger than 16. There is a form to fill out and the principal of the school and Vice Presidents of the college have to sign it.

It was really not a difficult process - just the argument with the principal. He actually said that he needed my daughter in class to bring up the slower ones.

Originally Posted by Ellipses
    He actually said that he needed my daughter in class to bring up the slower ones.

mad

I hope he offered to pay her!

Cat

Great point, but the answer is no. I just go around him now. Any interactions with him is pointless.

E
    E
    Ask the principal what evidence is needed as proof of readiness.

In California, there are STAR test release questions. If your child can pass that, I would say that would be good evidence (it worked for me). Find out what the end of year test for your state is and see if there are release questions.

I do not find it acceptable to have my child be an unpaid tutor to "bring up the slower ones." There is a difference between peer coaching and teamwork and tutoring. Find out which is going on - no tutoring, yes teamwork.

K
    keet Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    His teacher wrote a glowing letter saying she had never seen a kid like this, etc. I wrote a letter too. And I got word this week. He's in!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM