My ds is 9 (just turned 9 Nov. 30) and is in the 4th grade at our local public school. Last year my ds attend a virtual public school and we were able to get a one year grade skip. However, after 1/2 the year was over his teacher and the principal said he really should have skip 2 grade levels.

We did the virtual school up until 6 weeks ago. He was listed as a 4th grade but working on 5th grade for reading/grammar and 6th grade (pre-Alg.) for math. When we transfered to the local public school he was put into all 4th grade classes mainly b/c that's all that was require of them but the school only goes to 4th.

My ds has asked if he can try to skip 5th grade. I am willing if he is willing but many of my friends are concerned.

There concerns:
1. He already has skipped a grade and is the youngest. If he skips again he will be even younger

2. He will be around 11 and 12 year olds and having to hear and deal with the issues of 11 and 12 year olds when he is 9 and 10 years old

All of this deals with the emotional/social concerns. I would love to read about skipping grades and the effects good or/and bad dealing with the emotional/socail skills. I would like to see especially how this relates to someone who is doing a 2nd skip (a 2 year skip but not at the same time).

Also, if your child has skipped atleast 2 grade levels how did your child handle it?

Kathy-tx