Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    Indy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I have another question for all the wise posters here.

Would love to hear thoughts on this. We homeschool in a low regulation state so I'm basically able to use any curriculum I want--I just need to have a solid transcript for college apps.

My 7th grade son has dyslexia/dysgraphia so we could really some extra time in our school day.

From what I'm reading, his ACT English score would allow him to skip Freshman english at some colleges. Could I possibly get by transcript-wise by doing the same in our homeschool high school? We'll still be doing plenty of writing and literature, but I'd love to drop a formal English curriculum to buy us some time to persue other needs and interests.

The Reading and Science scores were around the same percentile, could this give us any freedom in our curriculum planning?

I've been so conditioned to believe that I have to do a traditional transcript with a massive portfolio showing his work in the usual high school course load that I'm not able to think beyond that. Is it all all possible that I could chart my own course from this point because he has shown 'mastery' of the basics (according to the traditional college readiness standards) in Reading and English? We'd still follow the usual Science route since the ACT measures science differently.

Thanks for any input--I really appreciate it! I'd love to drop our formal English and Reading curriculums to work on other goals.

Indy

Last edited by Indy; 12/15/10 05:34 PM.
    P
    P
    So, let me make sure I understand - a 7th grader with dyslexia is scoring high enough to exempt English in college? What challenges does his dyslexia present at this point?

Our child too had a very high ACT scores prior to starting high school, but I really didn't consider that particularly relevant for planning high school. It suggested to me that he'd mastered grammar basics, but I already knew that. I considered it more important that we focus on writing including essays, exams, and research papers. And, that we focus on critical reading skills in areas including novels, poetry, and nonfiction. We did not use a formal curriculum in high school (or before that for that matter). The fact that you can customize the education is the best part of homeschooling.

Especially if your child is looking at selective colleges I would suggest you carefully document that he's had strong study in literature from different time periods and regions. As much experience with writing, first drafts, revisions, research, etc. are all really important.

D
    D
    What passthepotatoes said.

If you are planning to send him to college, the more fluently he writes, the more successful he will be. Writing is a core skill that makes the difference between college students who get As and Cs-- some of the Cs are just as bright as the A kids, but didn't get good training in writing and can't produce the level of work required.

DeeDee

I
    Indy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    So, let me make sure I understand - a 7th grader with dyslexia is scoring high enough to exempt English in college? What challenges does his dyslexia present at this point?

Our child too had a very high ACT scores prior to starting high school, but I really didn't consider that particularly relevant for planning high school. It suggested to me that he'd mastered grammar basics, but I already knew that. I considered it more important that we focus on writing including essays, exams, and research papers. And, that we focus on critical reading skills in areas including novels, poetry, and nonfiction. We did not use a formal curriculum in high school (or before that for that matter). The fact that you can customize the education is the best part of homeschooling.

Especially if your child is looking at selective colleges I would suggest you carefully document that he's had strong study in literature from different time periods and regions. As much experience with writing, first drafts, revisions, research, etc. are all really important.

Thanks for your thoughts. I should have been more specific, not totally exempt from English--just exempt from English 101 and 102. Many less competitive colleges will do that for a 26 or above. I don't necessarily agree with that policy, I was just using it as a benchmark to determine whether we'd gone far enough with English mechanics to drop it from our schedule.

For the english on the ACT, you can actually get by without reading too much. He is especially good at grammar and english mechanics, so when presented with questions that only require you to focus on a small section of the text at a time he can pull it off. I'm not sure if this is true across the board for gifted dyslexics, but my son is very determined and has developed enough compensation strategies to do these types of questions. He was, however, competely exhausted from the effort because he has to work so hard to do it. I'm sure the dyslexia cost him a few points on the mechanics questions, and he guessed on some of the style and structure questions--especially those that required you to arrange the order of sentences. Overall though, the time he invested studying grammar really paid off for him. We've done old-school, no-fun grammar, pretty seriously for 5 years.

The dyslexia is still a huge problem when he has to really 'read' something. He substitutes incorrect words so frequently that his comprehension suffers tremendously. It is also so taxing on him that he will actually get a migraine if he tries to read too much. He can handle a paragraph or two at a time, but anything beyond that starts getting really jumbled as he tires. Fortunately he has a membership with the Recording for Blind and Dyslexic and can get all his textbooks on audio. He has a lifetime membership and I hope it will get him through college! He used the audio version of the Reading on the ACT and got a 30--but if he'd had to read it I think he'd be lucky to get in the low 20's. The biggest issue is the fatigue from having to work so hard to read.

I like your suggestions and agree wholeheartedly. He is doing Omnibus from Veritas Press for literature and I think it is pretty strong--it covers all the classics of western civ and equally challenging modern works but I am really open to any suggestions on writing curriculum. That is our weak area. Hope you'll be willing to share if there was a particular method you used.

Thanks so much for the input!
    Indy

I
    Indy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    What passthepotatoes said.

If you are planning to send him to college, the more fluently he writes, the more successful he will be. Writing is a core skill that makes the difference between college students who get As and Cs-- some of the Cs are just as bright as the A kids, but didn't get good training in writing and can't produce the level of work required.

DeeDee

Thanks DeeDee, if there is a specific curriculum or method you could recommend for writing I'd love to hear it. I wish I had the experience to do it without a curriculum but I know he will need to be a stronger writer than I am, and he really likes to have a method or formula to build upon. I appreciate your thoughts!

A
    A
    Perdue Online Writing Lab has some nice free instructional materials you might want to check out.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/

I've heard very good things about www.onlineg3.com/

To me the magic word is 'asynchrony' - I'd forget about how other groups educate children and just keep meeting you child's readiness level in all the different aspects of Language Arts.
    For 2E kids that asynchrony can range very very widely.

Can you do the English 201 with him without doing 101? Of course you can.

It is the quality of the work that counts, not the label.

Documentation is nice too, but your son is in 7th grade. Assuming that you don't want to start college early, documentation shouldn't be a big deal right now. (Am I correct here?) Compare yourself to an Unschooling Mom, not the bricks and mortar local schools.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM