Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 99 of 268 1 2 97 98 99 100 101 267 268
    Texican, that is going to be quite a handful!!! Shari, I meant to say how impressed I was with your ds' science fair triumph, very cool! Ds10 just finished his up, praise be, and we are all breathing a collective sigh of relief!

Kerry, thats awesome!! Congrats to your DD!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Pretty coordinated, La Texican! I bet it was super-cute. Kerry, it's nice to hear about a little one with such a genuinely big heart.

My son, while looking for something to do on the potty recently without a book or toy handy, invented a game he calls "Patterns, Patterns, Everywhere!" The way it goes is this:

1. Any number of people can play.

2. Each round, one person starts by saying a pattern, and everyone else has to replicate the pattern (more below on that). Then the next person gets to start a round with their own pattern, which everyone else has to replicate.

3. After everyone has started a round with a pattern containing items of the current number of categories, the original starter starts a round with a pattern including one new category as well as all the old ones, announcing the name of the added category ("farm animals", "vehicles", "states of mind", whatever).

4. The first round always uses the category "colors".

5. The starter's pattern must contain at least one item of every category. Categories may be interspersed throughout the pattern in any way, and can appear multiple times. The pattern may be as long as the starter wishes, but the starter has to say it four times. If the starter messes up saying his own pattern, he's out of the game.

6. Each other surviving player then replicates the pattern, by replacing each item from the starter's pattern with a different item of the same category (items from the starter's pattern may appear, but not in the same position). The replicated pattern cannot have two of the same item in positions where the original pattern has two different items (i.e. "red blue" cannot be replicated as "yellow yellow"). The replicating player must say the replicated pattern four times. Any screw-ups, and that player's out of the game.

7. Each replicating player must come up with her own completely new pattern (this is where it can fall apart with enough players, as it's hard to keep track, but it's mostly a good-faith requirement).

8. The last surviving player wins.

Ex. #1, using just "colors" and 3 players:
    Player 1: blue red green green blue (4 times over)
    Player 2: yellow mauve black black yellow (4 times over)
    Player 3: red blue yellow yellow red (4 times over)

Ex. #2, using "colors", "shapes" and "safari animals", with 3 players:
    Player 1: blue rhino rhino triangle wildebeeste black
    Player 2: red elephant elephant square lion green
    Player 3: yellow giraffe giraffe circle alligator red

The fewer the players, the faster you get to have lots and lots of categories. Leave one out, and you're kaput! The thing I love the most about this game is the name, and the way he says it. He sounds like he's announcing a new product on a TV commercial or something. laugh He's an endless source of fun. I wish sometimes that I could have grown up with him as a brother.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    DS had his speech-language assessment today for his language delay. He is 27 months and we were offered the assessment by his ENT. Although we aren't particularly worried, we decided to go and see if they had any useful suggestions. The outcome was that, at 27 months, he has the expressive language of an 18-24 month old. Not too concerning, said the lady, except when you compare it to his 36+ month comprehension (she figured he would have scored much higher but the test only scored to that age). Given that, there is a larger gap between expressive vs. comprehension and therefore, in their eyes, maybe more reason to intervene? She was scratching her head about it when we left.

So, not sure if it is good to brag about the comprehension given the other part of it, but who cares! His sister was 3.5 before she talked and she turned out OK. In any event, he had a great time showing what he knew.

Last edited by kathleen'smum; 12/10/10 06:10 PM. Reason: Christmas on the brain. I typed advent instead of event. Sigh.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    DD's school had their book sale this week and she came home with a wish list of about $50 dollars worth of books! (and only that much because she ran out of space to write any more laugh ) The next day she used a bunch of her "good behavior points" to buy herself a book and 2 books for her little 2 yr old sister. The following day she spent more of these reward points to buy DH a book and this morning when I went into her room to wake her up she was already up counting her money from her piggy bank to see if she had enough money to buy me a book! It was so sweet. blush She decided she didn't so she asked her dad for a loan to buy my book. When she got home today she was excited to show DH the new poster she had bought and tell him about lending money to a friend who hadn't been able to buy anything, and then she was in tears because she didn't have enough money left to buy me the book she wanted. frown By the time I got home from work she had decided that she would give me the poster she had wanted because she felt so bad that she hadn't gotten me anything!
    Put this together with my post a few days ago and I wonder how we have managed to raise such a sweet and caring little girl! She is such a special kid - I have tears in my eyes writing this.

Aww. How old is she? She sounds like she would adopt the whole world and all the animals too as her children when she grows up. How adorably sweet!

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    kerry, that is so sweet! We have one super sweet guy here and I definitely don't know where he came from! wink

Fun news - ds10 did place 2nd in his science fair category! He was really happy about it, but probably not as over-the-moon as me (I'm just so silly about this stuff, I know) laugh

Kerry,

That's awesome. DD earned extra points with Santa for sure!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    La Texican, she's 7, going to be 8 in Feb.
    I can't imagine what she's going to do when she gets older.

H
    H
    Kerry - Your DD is so sweet.

Page 99 of 268 1 2 97 98 99 100 101 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM