Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    RobinZ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    My son is in K right now. His teacher suggested that we test his IQ and apply for the school's gifted program.

If he is tested gifted, would it be a good idea to remain in the same grade level, or would it be better to go to a higher grade level than his own age group?

If he goes to a higher grade, what I'm concerned about is that he will lose the chance and miss the gap to go through the normal social and emotional development periods along with his own age group.

Thanks a lot for your advice. Any input is appreciated.

RobinZ

A few good books to read:
    IOWA acceleration scale manual
    5 levels of giftedness
    Genius Denied
    and look at a few websites:
    www.nationdeceived.org/
    http://davincilearning.wordpress.com/2010/08/03/oh-no-my-kid-might-be-gifted-where-do-i-start/

If he is tested gifted, the next question is LOG (level of giftedness)
    If he is optimally gifted, which is the majority of gifted kids, then staying with agemates and doing the gifted program is likely to be a good fit.
    If he is a higher level of gifted, then you have to look very closely at all the options, including going to a higher grade - unless the ideal happens, your district has a program for Highly Gifted and Profoundly Gifted kids of the same age.

Basically, you want to keep you child spending lots of time with kids who are academic peers in hopes that your child will develop good work ethic and have fun with kids who get his jokes - that may mean a gradeskip, or it may not, depends on the local resources.

Lots of the folks who post here have kids who are beyond optimally gifted, but that's because many schools have great programs for their optimally gifted kids and it would never occur to the parents that they have to seek out more info - logical, no? So don't generalize from what you read here if it isn't needed.

A visit to the various potential classrooms will go a long way to figuring out what might work.

We welcome you to keep posting no matter what your kid's IQ score says! Yippee!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    R
    RobinZ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Hi, Grinity,

Thanks so much for the information. This is all very helpful. I didn't know there is so much involved. I will read the stuff you recommended.

I don't think anyone has ever made a black and white flow chart with all of the correct parenting decisions neatly outlined in black and white. I'm sure there's a market for one.
    *note to self, stay off the computer after you've had late night coffee, it makes you too sarcastic
    Anyway, Robinz. I've read a lot of ideas online since becoming a mother and one i'd like to share with you right now is that communities and families are naturally mixed-age. It's a different story at school in that everybody else in the class will be one age while your child is another. What kind of town do you live in? Is it a small one where the neighborhood kid's play outside togeather? That would help, I think, if age-based school wasn't the kid's only social interactions with other kids. Then they might feel more weird about it. I might be wrong, that's just the truth as I'm imagining it. smile And I still haven't read the Iowa acceleration scale which appears to be the definitive book of modern wisdom concerning grade acceleration.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Cool RobinZ! Keep asking questions here as you plow through the material. We like your company!
    Grinity

Originally Posted by La Texican
    I don't think anyone has ever made a black and white flow chart with all of the correct parenting decisions neatly outlined in black and white. I'm sure there's a market for one.

Sign me up!! wink

F
    F
    I just went through this. My daughter moved from Kindergarten to 1st grade just this past Monday. We discussed it with our support team and they suggested the move. We talked about her age, her social emotional stuff, her academic level and decided to try 1st grade. The difference I've seen in her. She's still kind of bored but that's to be expected. They told us academically she is actually on a 3rd or 4th grade level, socially she's on about first or second so they only wanted to move her one grade level. However, saying all that she's much, much happier. There's no "I don't feel good" in the morning when I get her up for school. No dragging her feet to get on the bus. She likes school again. So for us we believe we made the right decission.

Her gifted teacher is fantastic, I couldn't ask for a better support person for her. She gives her extra materials for when she gets bored and she's done with the class work and the other students are still working. Her gifted teacher has a group of gifted students and my dd is the youngest in the group but they have welcomed her with open arms and once a week they all get together do projects, talk about being gifted, and she doesn't feel so alone. Her gifted teacher is starting to teach her Spanish and computer work (She actually knows the computer well but not proper finger placement on the keyboard yet).

I'm not sure without the support people we have that we would have moved her but they are fantastic and I love that if I feel like a problem is arising that I just have to make a phone call and we'll all work together to get her back on track.

Foltzy! Thanks for telling your story. It sounds like the school is terrific! yippee! I'm glad to hear that your DD is happier. It's so good to see that positive change.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM