Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Looking back at my daughter's education (she is 13 now), the teacher made all the difference. A program is as good as its teacher.

Intelligence is part of the equation - but not all. My daughter has had some truly "gifted" teachers who just think differently than other people.

You can usually tell which ones they are by their classroom - stuff everywhere. They have to have the ability to connect to the students and have the flexibility to "go with the flow".

My daughter had several highly intelligent teachers who did not have these characteristics.

The other day, she said that she often ended liking the teachers that nobody else liked - especially in Middle School.

Truly look at your options - meaning your teachers and the classroom. If everything looks stimulating and flexible, this may be the classroom.

Gifties don't really like harsh teachers. However, as they age, they love the sarcastic ones.

Originally Posted by lizzienel
    We do have an acceleration recommendation...and I now regret not doing it. We made some major life transitions recently, and did not want to add additional pressure....perhaps a bad move on our part.

I will continue to scaffold, praise, hold dd responsible, and try not to kill the teacher, who is sucking the motivation and love of learning out of my kid!!
    Is it too late to accept the acceleration recommendation mid year. Mid year skips can be great if the recieving teacher is great, and it is a needed skip. I like your idea of not adding additional pressure, but now it seems that this particular teacher is more 'additional pressure' than a skip into a kind teacher's room.
    Of course, one can't come out and say "Please skip my kid because her teacher is evil." but if a skip is needed, then taking it at opportune times to avoid 'bad matches' is ok.

I love your plan for now, and it seems very solid and likely to get you through to next year - skip or no skip.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students