Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    Treecritter- your "Then it slowly builds up" comment concerns me. How slowly? Is there a way to test out of material or do you have to cover each lesson no matter what?
    This seems like the key issue. And like the 408 example, it's hard for a computer to know when a kid has picked up a weird idiosyncratic idea, and my kid has picked up a few along the way. In fact I think being precosious makes one more vulnerable to the having weird mistakes because of the asynchrony. Of course it isn't easy for a human to spot these odd ideas either.

I remember complaints about my handwriting during 1st grade, leading to me sitting down with one of my mom's friends to check me. She observed for a while and finally asked me why this 8 here was so much taller than the 4 over there.
    I replied: "Everyone knows that - it's because 8 is twice as large as 4."
    She explained the convention of all numbers being equally tall. I think she even asked me how big 497 would be written in my system so I could see how impractical that would be!

Hence my maxim: Logical isn't the same as workable!

Interestingly - AR Math, according to the website, doesn't claim to actually teach kids either - only to diagnose, provide practice and accredit. There is lots written about teachers indroducing concepts to the whole class, and working in small group and individually as needed. It is said to 'work with any textbook' which should tell us something about how similar every approach to math is in elementary school. Apparently it's more something to be practiced than understood.

For better or for worse, there isn't much in elementary school Math that can't be figured out on one's own. So another question becomes - how high does the AR Math go? What is planned if your son 'finishes?'

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    CAMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    So another question becomes - how high does the AR Math go? What is planned if your son 'finishes?'

Right now- there is no plan. The teacher doesn't really understand the Accelerated Math program and is dreadful (actually, disinterested) at differentiation. I've been pushing for an actual plan but haven't gotten one yet.... administrative run-around in a very complicated political situation. It's a charter school in a district about 2 days from being taken over by the state. We've gotten a bit of a "take it or leave it" attitude from them lately since they will be unaffected by the state takeover.

T
    T
    CAMom - I can't tell you, to be honest. My son is in first grade, so he's kind of starting from scratch. Each section is thoroughly covered, but if he already knows it well I think he'll be able to whiz through it pretty quickly. As far as testing out, you are assumed to have mastered a topic when you pass the test on it - so I suppose if he wants to breeze through the first few tests, he probably can. Depending on what the teacher will allow him to do. My son's teacher wanted him to take his time at first, but now she pretty much lets him work at his own pace.

Originally Posted by CAMom
    We've gotten a bit of a "take it or leave it" attitude from them lately since they will be unaffected by the state takeover.
    Ug! I hate to say it, but this doesn't seem like the hill you want to die on, although I don't think I would nescessarily comply with the request to stop ALEKS at home. It is working with your kid and the teacher isn't working with you. AR Math is a self-paced program, so that's good, but you can't rely on this teacher to use it well or actually teach him anything. Maybe a 'you do your thing at school and I'll do my thing at home' attitude is the best for now. I would expect some complaining at the begining of AR Math, and some polite questions to the teacher to be sure she is running it at top possible speed.

Bottom Line: It is your business what she does with your child at school, but it's not her business what you teach your child at home. As long as you are encouraging your child to behave in the classroom, you have fufilled you obligation. If the shoe were on the other foot, can you imagine asking a parent to stop an educational intervention at home that was working?

((shrugs))
    Grinity

C
    CAMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Grinity- you are so right, this is NOT the hill to die on! Mostly, I am trying to understand Accelerated Math so I can ask educated questions. I've learned a lot from our discussion and lots of googling. While I do not think this is an acceptable substitute for proper differentiation, she's at least trying something at this point.

We'll keep doing our thing and bide our time while she figures out the new program and whether or not it will actually help her.

((thumbs up))

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM