Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (Wren), 0 Guests and 166 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Clara Tim, markhogue, John Henderson, wm97, oliviazimmerman
    10844 Registered Users
    October
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Page 98 of 263 < 1 2 ... 96 97 98 99 100 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #90414 - 12/02/10 09:28 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    BWBShari Offline

Loc: NM
    Just have to brag to someone!

DS7 has been working on his science fair project since the day school started. It is a VERY big deal at his school. He had to write a research paper complete with all of the bells and whistles ie bibliography, abstract etc. This was all completely new territory for him. This project was very challenging and I admit there were many times I thought he was in over his head.

Fast forward to tuesday night.... Son is supposed to practice his presentation for the judges as each student is only allotted 6 minutes. Son is in a puddle on the floor, hysterical. He can't do this, why am I torturing him? On and on it went. Finally I picked him up, hugged him, then set him down in front of his presentation board. I asked him to think about all the work he'd done. Everything on the board was there because he had a question that needed an answer and he'd done that. Then I told him it was his decision, I wouldn't force him to present if he didn't feel he could and walked out of the room.

Wednesday morning rolls around and I still have no idea what he's decided. I give his science teacher a heads up and drive away. Imagine my trepidation when I am met by the principal as I come through the door to pick him up. This quickly turns to surprise when I realize she is complimenting me on what a fine presentation my son gave. For his part, he had a smile that threatened to split his face and told me that his teacher gave him a B on his presentation and that his project had gotten an A overall!

I'm just soooo proud o my little man!!

#90417 - 12/02/10 09:44 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Iucounu Offline

That's awesome.

#90422 - 12/02/10 12:43 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    HelloBaby Offline

BWBShari - good job to your son!

#90423 - 12/02/10 12:45 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    inky Offline

Love it! Thanks for sharing that with us.

#90433 - 12/02/10 06:31 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    chris1234 Offline

Ds10 is putting up nicely with my asking him to continue with Algebra; since we started this fall to see how he would do, I figured why stop now?
    He is doing really well and has even been enjoying completing the easier math in school, oddly enough.

#90436 - 12/02/10 07:07 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: chris1234]
    RobotMom Offline

Loc: in a happier place
    DD7 just finished reading the young reader version of Three Cups of Tea and she wrote a response to it for school. (she chose the book) She then brought the book, her analysis and the picture book Listen to the Wind ( the young child version of the story) to school to try to convince her teacher to let her class run a pennies for peace campaign!
    She did a project on Listen to the Wind last year for school and wrote a letter to Greg Mortenson and sent all of her pennies to his organization. She got a great poster and thank you card back which has just made her want to do more. smile She recently got the magazine from his organization ( Central Asian Institute ) and this rekindled her interested in helping out. She is amazed at the stories and can't believe that a penny can really buy a pencil or that people would think that girls shouldn't be educated. She has got a jar going at home, put one on my desk at work, and is keeping her fingers crossed that her teacher will let her class do a fundraiser at school too.

#90438 - 12/02/10 07:14 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    BWBShari Offline

Loc: NM
    That's great Chris!

#90465 - 12/03/10 08:30 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    treecritter Offline

DS7 has a student teacher in his class whose family is from Haiti. I spoke to her the other day, and she was absolutely amazed at how "worldly" he was. When I asked what she meant, she told me that they were looking at a globe, and she asked if anyone knew the tiny country that is near Cuba. Andrew was the only one who piped up and said, "HAITI!" Not only that, but he informed her that Haiti recently had a big earthquake and a lot of people were hurt badly, then there was "a flood or something" and now a lot of people were getting sick. Then he asked if they could take a field trip to Haiti to help the people there.
    I was proud that he knew where Haiti was and that he remembered the things that happened there, but even more proud that he was making an active effort to help them. I've always tried to teach him that being smart is awesome, but being a good person is way more important.

#90478 - 12/03/10 09:33 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    La Texican Offline

Loc: South Texas
    I'm still in the new mommy stage, very proud of everything about my kids. And giddy over being a parent. I thought I wouldn't get the chance and I had my kids kind of late in life. This is horribly funny. We stayed the night in a motel in San Antonio. I washed my 2 month old in the sink. The stopper didn't work good and i lost the water too quickly. I added more, making it too cold rather than too hot. I thought I could adjust it warmer quickly. That cold water hit the baby and she rolled over and stood up and tried to walk out of the sink. (chuckling even as I type this). She has been balancing and holding herself straight to sit up, but that is the most coordination I've seen out of this girl yet.

#90480 - 12/03/10 09:55 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    onthegomom Offline

that's cute.

Page 98 of 263 < 1 2 ... 96 97 98 99 100 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Full time in person learning-accommodati
    on for ADD

by aeh
    Yesterday at 12:28 PM
    Grading practices
    by aeh