Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    Kirstie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Hi everyone,
    I was referred here by a friend who thought one of you might be able to help me make better sense of my son's WISC-IV results? For background, he's 6 and in 1st grade. He was tested by my cousin who has been giving IQ tests as part of her job for some time now but needed to give one for a clinical psych class.

His overall FSIQ was a 132. Here is his breakdown:
    PRI: 137
    VCI: 119
    WMI: 126
    PSI: 118

I have read of the GAI that just looks at the PRI and the VCI bc it is suggested that the PSI may underinflate IQ scores and that WMI isn't really related to intelligence. In my son's case, these scores are maybe overinflating his scores?

The report says that "XXXX scored above average for the Information, Comprehension, and Word Reasoning subtests. He scored in the superior range for the Similarities subtest. XXXX scored right at average on the Vocabulary subtest."

Does anyone have any thoughts here? I've always felt he was bright...particularly when it comes to things like building, art, etc and he does have an outstanding memory.

Should I be concerned with the gap in his verbal scores? Is there something I should be doing or pursue? He's always been the "strong and silent" type. I wonder if he just can't express himself like he wants or maybe his skills in other areas are masking something that needs to be addressed?

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Kirstie

Does he seem frustrated in his silence?

Is he a pretty happy guy?

Is school going well? Friends?

How about the extended family - have things gone reasonable well for the larger family tree?

I'll be he sometimes gets engaged in some problem-solving activity and you can see the steam rising off his head.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by PSI underinflating IQ, but yes, PSI and WMI are both independent of what folks usually mean when they say 'smart.' PSI is about speed, and WMI is about working memory = how many aspect of a problem can you keep in mind while you are looking for an answer.

I don't have much to say about the PRI/Verbal split - I'll be watching to see what Dottie says.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM