Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #8916 02/15/08 09:01 AM
    OP Offline
    I'm compiling a list of fun, educational, historical places to visit, usually as day trips if we're traveling in the area. Most of our travels take us in the eastern half of the USA, but may take a few trips out west in the next few years. Here are a few on my list, any other recommendations? So far, our favorites have a farm or Civil War connection. We've been to half on this list, and will return for future visits.

Thomas Jefferson's Monticello
    George Washington's Mt Vernon
    Shenandoah Valley's McCormick Farm
    Gettysburg
    Any cave within our schedule
    The Lincoln Museum, Ft Wayne IN
    Abraham Lincoln birthplace, KY
    Lincoln home, Illinois

My family really enjoys Colonial Williamsburg and the nearby Jamestown site. We've spent many days in Gettysburg (we used to do Civil War reenactments) and I highly recommend the Jenny Wade house there, the visitor's center, and a guided tour of the cemetery monuments and the battlefield.

If you're open to going north a bit, there's tons of historical stuff in Boston. The tea party ship, the USS Constitution, the Freedom Trail, Bunker Hill monument... Then there's old Sturbridge Village in central Mass. which is a large scale recreated village from the 1830's, with people doing actual spinning, blacksmith work, gardening, etc.

hth!

Lorel

Lorel #8941 02/15/08 05:12 PM
    If you're going to Kentucky, Mammoth Cave is fun. Kentucky Down Under is also really great. It is a little bit of Australia right in Kentucky. They have a cave tour there too. The Liberty Bell in Pennsylvania. Also, I agree with Lorel about Williamsburg. I haven't taken my kids yet but my DH and I absolutely LOVED it. When DS7 is a bit older we will make the trek.

EandCmom #8948 02/15/08 07:41 PM
    What a fun thread!!! DD9 insists on every vacation or family visit that we check out the local zoo, natural history museum and science center. Luckily we have memberships to all our local museums/zoos so we get either a discount or free admission.

This year, I am planning a vacation to drive to Philadelphia, Washington DC and Williamsburg. It was supposed to be this summer, but if we homeschool we may wait until school starts.

The other places we like to visit are fossil collection areas. In Ohio, we love Caesar's Creek, as it's a safe place for the entire family.

Jen

Q
    Q
    We'll be in NYC Sunday and Monday. Of course, we'll go to the Natural History Museum. Any other great science sites for a 7 yr. old? His big interest is space.

Not related to science, but I would want to see Ellis Island. http://www.saveellisisland.org/site/PageServer?pagename=newsletter_winter06#ferry

Lorel #8980 02/16/08 10:28 AM
    Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry has always been a favorite, as is the Indianapolis Children's Museum. It's head and shoulders above any other children's museum I've ever seen. You could spend months there and not see it all!

They're not so much history--loosely history, I guess, in some exhibits--but they should be on everyone's list for places to visit, regardless! laugh

Kriston
    Kriston #9019 02/16/08 08:52 PM
    OP Offline
    Kriston, it doesn't have to be history oriented smile

We stopped at Clifton Mills(near Springfield, OH) today on our way home from a cattle show. We were very disappointed. We couldn't go around to see the water wheel, we could only see it from the car. Inside is set up like an old country store, only filled with gift shop type stuff. I didn't even see any freshly milled flours for sale. frown There were a number of old buildings to admire in the area. We drove through Xenia, Oh, on our way home. GS8 commented about how new the city looked compared to the surrounding areas. I thought that was very observant, and told him how Xenia had devastated 20(?) years ago by a number of tornadoes in one day; it definitely changed to look of the town.

A couple weeks ago we went to The National Museum of the United States Air Force(near Wright Patterson AFB near Dayton OH). That is definitely a place to go if you're interested in any kind of aviation.

That reminds me, one place I took our kids a number of years ago was the US Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL. This is great if your kids are into space & space travel. Check out their website,
    US Space & Rocket Center

I may have to invest in season passes to the zoo, the ones that allow you to visit other zoos using those passes. I think it would be cool to make a goal of visiting a zoo in every state, or maybe a childrens museum in every state.

We love the space and rocket center in Huntsville! It is reciprocal with some childrens museums. Also, if you're ever in Pensacola, the Navy air museum is really great and it is free. If you go at the right time you can watch the Blue Angels fly in practice. We've done that a couple of times and my kids love it!

The aquariums in Chattanooga and Gatlinburg, TN are also really nice. Chattanooga is just a fun little city really with lots to do. I haven't been to the aquarium in Atlanta but I hear it is fantastic. There is also tons of stuff to do there.

Sounds like you are doing some really neat stuff! smile

EandCmom #9034 02/17/08 07:27 AM
    OP Offline
    Chattanooga is a really nice place to visit. We spent a weekend there; but it was 4 years ago and GS8 doesn't remember a lot about it. We went to Ruby Falls and the place on top of the mountain where you can see 7(?) surrounding states.

When my kids were 12-14 I took them to Florida, we had a day to kill so we drove to New Orleans just to say we went there. I was not adventuresome enough to find a place to park and walk around. We also toured a battleship and a submarine retired from WWII in Mobile Alabama. My fil had served on a sub just like it, it helps to make history more interesting when the kids can see and touch things they are learning about. We'll have to take GS8 to that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM