Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
    S
    StevenASylwester
    Unregistered
    StevenASylwester
    Unregistered
    S
    no5no5,

If someone tells their story to a newspaper, their story is no longer private. In fact, to the extent that they tell their story to a newspaper, their story is thereafter public, and is available to be used in the public debate, both pro and con.

The Manzar siblings show what is possible if you have certain available resources and are able to function outside of the restrictions that generally govern public education.

The question becomes this: If the Manzar siblings can achieve their stunning academic accomplishments through homeschooling, what then is possible through public education? As it is, public high schools too often fail to challenge the potentials of their very brightest students. Can this problem be solved? I think so, and NAPS is my proposed solution.

If you have a better solution, please offer it for review.

Steven A. Sylwester

N
    N
    Originally Posted by StevenASylwester
    no5no5,

If someone tells their story to a newspaper, their story is no longer private. In fact, to the extent that they tell their story to a newspaper, their story is thereafter public, and is available to be used in the public debate, both pro and con.

The Manzar siblings show what is possible if you have certain available resources and are able to function outside of the restrictions that generally govern public education.

The question becomes this: If the Manzar siblings can achieve their stunning academic accomplishments through homeschooling, what then is possible through public education? As it is, public high schools too often fail to challenge the potentials of their very brightest students. Can this problem be solved? I think so, and NAPS is my proposed solution.

If you have a better solution, please offer it for review.

Steven A. Sylwester

They told their story to their school's daily newspaper, but that doesn't make it ethically correct for you to use it for your own ends.

Even if there were a hundred PG students who wanted to attend your school, I think you would find that each one would have very different needs. These needs can be easily met through homeschooling, but it is very hard to serve the needs of such a diverse group in a classroom. I don't think it is fair to assume that if something can be accomplished through homeschooling it must therefore be possible to do even better through the public schools.

M
    M
    Since much has been discussed on this thread over the past few months, and there isn't any pertinent back-and-forth discussion at this point, I have decideded to lock it.

As a reminder, please be respectful of all posters and all viewpoints and please keep the discussion to matters of gifted education.

If anyone has any questions, please contact me in a private message.

Thank you!
    Mark

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM