Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #90108 11/24/10 10:39 AM
    OP Offline
    My son's high school is in the process of signing him up for Gizmos Explore Learning (http://www.explorelearning.com/). My son is 2e and they are setting this up as a home learning program for grade 9 science and math. This is the first time the school has used it.

Has anyone had experience with it? It sounds like it is some sort of Montessori type learning? It sounds good, but he hasn't started yet, so I don't know what the reality is. Does anyone have any feedback about this product?

Wow, what a great site.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    I've used them alot in my classes and my students love them. They are a lot of fun and really allow the students to explore things at their own pace and learn a lot at the same time.

I heard back from them, inquiring as to the price for home use. They quoted a home user subscription rate of $150, which seems pretty reasonable (your mileage may vary, of course, and in addition it would be good to get the school to pay for it). I fell in love with the science applets, so I'm strongly considering getting it for DS5.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    OP Offline
    Responding back to my post -

My son has started on it, and the "Gizmos" are amazing. I signed up for the 30 day free trial to check it out for my self. I was very impressed, but it is not sufficient in our case as a stand alone product. I think that it is absolutely fantastic for classrooms or for home schoolers to use as part of the teaching of the curriculum,and I believe that is what it is meant for. In our case my son has been given them and been told to do one after another with no other instruction.

The "Gizmos" are fantastic for visual learners like my one son because they can fly right through them and learn a lot quickly. They are also great for non-visual learners like myself, because it teaches you how to visualize concepts that you normally have difficulty visualizing.

Looks like fun! I'm sure DS would love these. I'll have to keep them on my "just in case" list. Thanks!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    C
    C
    I'm putting the free trial on my winter break/emergency snow days list of possibilities!

Last edited by Chrys; 12/06/10 10:29 AM. Reason: added exclamation mark!

Warning: sleep deprived
    I signed up for the free trial, but we haven't had time to do any yet - they look fun.

I am curious how people use these. For enrichment, I assume just watch the Gizmo that is interesting. But for HS'ers, what sort of teaching, assessment, etc. would you do with it? Does it come with additional materials (I admit that I signed up and then got super busy and just haven't played around with the site much yet).

Cat

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM