Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #90017 11/22/10 05:28 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    DD tried this out tonight, and it just had her type number after number, with no end in sight. No questions, just "type the number you see and hit enter." After about 5 minutes, she threw up her hands and said "this is stupid and I hate it" - and honestly, I don't blame her.

At what point does it get better? I'm happy to type numbers to get her to the actual math facts, but don't want to do that if it screws something up later on, and don't want to waste my time if it never gets better.

D
    D
    That section at the beginning is to get her up to speed with entering numbers. Once she demonstrates some consistent speed, it will move on to the real deal.

After a similarly frustrating experience, I did that part for my daughter. Not sure why it took sooo long for her, but suspect it's because she wasn't real consistent getting the numbers keyed in. Once she was up & running, I was able to tweak the time limit so that she would have a chance to finish her entries.

All is better now, and her keyboarding speed, at least for numbers, has improved considerably. Oh yeah -- and her math facts quizzes have been improving dramatically at school!

Dandy

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    C
    C
    Yep, that's just the typing practice part of it. The program wants to make sure that it's not punishing kids who are slow typers for not knowing their facts. Once you get past that section, it gets into practice problems and games.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Ah, thanks! Having done it sucessfully, the "you ran out of time" comment she kept getting makes more sense.

C
    C
    YMMV, but DS never got into quicktables - I got him past the speed typing part and turned off the time limit, but it never really seemed worth the effort.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    I wouldn't have even bothered with the QuickTables, except we're at the point where she's finished the topics where she could look at the descriptions and say "Oh, I know what that means." And she's finished the addition/subtraction and place value / money pie segments, which are areas she feels strong in. So what she's left with is material that's entirely new to her, that she doesn't necessarily get right away, and that's frustrating her.

I'd say "put it away for a week or two, then come back" but she's determined to keep at it (for reasons not clear to me). So I thought the QuickTables would give her something less frustrating to work on. Plus part of her frustration with the things she's working on now is that she doesn't know all her multiplication / division facts, and needs them to be able to solve the fractions problems.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM