Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 97 of 268 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 267 268
    M
    M
    Hooray, son of shellymos!

And congrats to everyone--all the recent brags are pretty fabulous!

G
    G
    My Ds6 (who would be i kindergarten/reception here in Australia if he went to school) is a perfectionist and melts down as soon as it becomes apparent he has got an answer wrong. But yesterday when working on an activity on a website when he got 50% correct he was thrilled and said "When I get something wrong, it doesn't mean that I am bad at maths, it just means I haven't learned it yet!"

Until mid way through this year he has never done any formal maths other than the odd conversation about numbers in the car and one grade one workbook in his stack of books. He had never seen the kinds of problems he was working on (he usually enjoys arithmetic and this was matching shapes that were rotated - the differences were quite subtle). I'm so proud that he seemingly has got past this huge barrier to his learning smile
    The other thing that impressed/shocked me was that he was searching for ages for an activity using square roots. He finally found it in the grade 7 section! (I'm sure I learned about them earlier than that). He got all of the square root questions correct and the few cube root questions correct with a bit of help from me (he'd never heard of them before). But what I'm most happy about is that he is loving this stuff! I've been searching for a half decent Australian online maths program with many tears as he's found it so frustrating to get incorrect answers a he does the trial memberships. Now it finally seems worth it (even if this one isn't exactly what we are looking for, it has its limits).

C
    C
    Originally Posted by GreenGully
    My Ds6 (who would be i kindergarten/reception here in Australia if he went to school) is a perfectionist and melts down as soon as it becomes apparent he has got an answer wrong. But yesterday when working on an activity on a website when he got 50% correct he was thrilled and said "When I get something wrong, it doesn't mean that I am bad at maths, it just means I haven't learned it yet!"
    Hooray, congratulations to your DS, GreenGully!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Great brag GreenGully! It gives those with perfectionist kiddos hope! Congrats to your son. That is a huge accomplishment.

N
    N
    Ds7 just finished his first ever session of swimming lessons (and out of 8 lessons, he missed 2) - he was in Level 1, and to our surprise, he managed to graduate to Level 2 !! Yeah ! smile

G
    G
    That is awesome NCPMom smile

DS seems to have had another breakthrough with timed maths as well. I introduced him to timez attack yesterday, and after a shaky start (and one big meltdown at the end of the day - he was tired)he kept going, is learning multiplication facts and is progressing quickly. He got up this morning (after camping out in the backyard lol) and has turned on his laptop and is playing again. We've had to negotiate a reasonable time limit on it (usually I let him do maths/educational stuff as long as he likes).

He also picked up one of his maths workbooks, on his own, and completed two pages last night. He has never done this. He haaaaates writing, especially numbers. He usually only works on this stuff if I sit with him, and he rarely completes a page. It has been a weekend of breakthroughs!

smile Great news, GreenGully!

NCPMom, that sounds great too!

I
    I
    D20 just got an email that she got a $3,000 scholarship for next semester for her college program that she did not even apply for! Just fell from the sky... laugh

That is awesome! Congrats!! I love things like that!

DeHe

Just have to brag to someone!

DS7 has been working on his science fair project since the day school started. It is a VERY big deal at his school. He had to write a research paper complete with all of the bells and whistles ie bibliography, abstract etc. This was all completely new territory for him. This project was very challenging and I admit there were many times I thought he was in over his head.

Fast forward to tuesday night.... Son is supposed to practice his presentation for the judges as each student is only allotted 6 minutes. Son is in a puddle on the floor, hysterical. He can't do this, why am I torturing him? On and on it went. Finally I picked him up, hugged him, then set him down in front of his presentation board. I asked him to think about all the work he'd done. Everything on the board was there because he had a question that needed an answer and he'd done that. Then I told him it was his decision, I wouldn't force him to present if he didn't feel he could and walked out of the room.

Wednesday morning rolls around and I still have no idea what he's decided. I give his science teacher a heads up and drive away. Imagine my trepidation when I am met by the principal as I come through the door to pick him up. This quickly turns to surprise when I realize she is complimenting me on what a fine presentation my son gave. For his part, he had a smile that threatened to split his face and told me that his teacher gave him a B on his presentation and that his project had gotten an A overall!

I'm just soooo proud o my little man!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Page 97 of 268 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM