Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    My daughter is a 5th grader who took credit by exam to skip
    the first grade. She did well in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th
    grades including her gifted pullout class. Last year her teacher noted some organizational issues. She is in the 5th
    grade this year and has gone from making all As to making half As and half Bs. Her grades on tests/assignemnts are more inconsistent as well. She has a late May birthday, so she
    is one to two years younger than her classmates. I am wondering if her organizational issues are primarily developmental due to her younger age, or if she may have ADD.
    Does any one have any experiences to share? Thanks.

Organization is the hardest thing for my DS7. His teachers post all of his assignments on the school website and he checks it constantly to keep himself on the right timeline for assignments. From what i've read, it's not unusual for GT's to be a little slow in the executive function part of things.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    It is likely that she is simply not 'gifted' in the organizatinal area and her age is affecting her. Now is a great time of life to learn organizational skills because the Bs won't go one her college transcript. I love Deb Goldberg's book, "The Organized Student."

Can you figure out what is the pattern of causing the Bs?
    Homework assignments not noticed?
    Homework not handed in on time?
    Doesn't know how to study for tests?

My son is similar and was eventually diagnosed with ADD. After he tried the local high school 9th grade, he switched schools and is doing 9th grade again. It is helping his grades. Luckily the new school is a better fit 'abstract thinking wise' so he didn't have to give up one thing to get the other.

There is plenty of time for your daughter to sort this out before you get to that stage, so I wouldn't panic over a few Bs now. I tell my son that his grades are a combination of how well he has learned the material and how prepared he is and that BOTH are important. It's also sometimes hard for GT kids to take the teacher's perspective and figure out 'what the teacher wants' - maybe their own personal visions of the material are too compelling?

Hope that helps,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    D15 has a non-verbal learning disability, and the primary symptom we see on a day to day basis is organization issues. It is not minor -- she has been an "organizational disaster" for years. Of course, that may not be your D's issue at all. But just pointing out one possibility.

N
    Nik Offline
    N
    Sylvia, my D17 followed a similar path and by 7th grade it was really impacting her grades. I assumed it was just because she saw the mountains of homework assignments as pointless busywork (because they really were), so I didn't worry about it but now I wonder if other things may have been at play too. We had moved to a dreadful school district by then, so it may have well been a combination of things.

intparent, how do you work with your D15 to help with the "organizational disaster" issues? Have you found anything that works well? A relative told me her Son was using an iphone to take pictures of the board in class and it helped with making sure he wasn't missing things. I wish I had thought of that earlier.

I am trying to think now if the organizational issues have always been primarily school work related or all encompassing and everything that really stands out is school work related.

Originally Posted by Grinity
    It's also sometimes hard for GT kids to take the teacher's perspective and figure out 'what the teacher wants' - maybe their own personal visions of the material are too compelling?

So true...my daughter has run into problems with this, how do you help them in this area?

Grinity, how did you get so wise? :-). I wish I had found this site a few years ago.

B
    B
    I recommend reading some articles online about executive function and gifted. I also recommend the book Late, Lost & Unprepared.

I
    I
    I wish I had a silver bullet, Nik. She is VERY resistent to any calendar methods, which is adds to the issue. Even if she has one, she has no reliable pattern of entering things into it or checking for tasks/to dos. And I just discovered last week that her iCal (Mac calendaring used by teachers at her school) is on the blink again -- a chronic issue with her laptop. I got involved and found a tescher who fixed the settings for her, so hopefully this won't happen again. In the past she has not mentioned this glitch for weeks at a time. Sigh.

One thing we started with this year that seems to be helping some is using the "sticky" function on her school laptop (Mac). She has started keeping little to-do lists on them on her Mac desktop. She can change the colors, so make important ones bright or move them to a strategic location. I still have to remind her to clean off the old ones, though. So far this has been the best method we have found for her. She is like me, I am very visually oriented. If I put something in a file or a closed calendar, it might as well not exist.

Just recently she decided to study for a nationwide test in her main subject of interest. We ordered the textbook she needs, and it came yesterday. She agreed that she might have trouble organizing her study materials, so last night we found a cloth bag and put the textbook, the associated CD, some flashcards with rubber bands, a notebook labeled with the subject name on it, pens, highlighters, and some post it flags in the bag. She is going to try to keep the materials together in that bag, and repack them when she is done with each study session. Fingers crossed smile

Last edited by intparent; 11/19/10 12:38 PM.
    Originally Posted by Nik
    Grinity, how did you get so wise? :-). I wish I had found this site a few years ago.
    Thanks Nik - I wish you had too. And I wish it had been there when my DS14 was an itty bitty...but my son was able to join the YSP and that has been such a lifeline.

In case you are being literal, I've http://rc.org/ for almost 30 years so far, and I think posting here lines up with all my gifts and very few of my challenges (if you can overlook the spelling!)

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    N
    Nik Offline
    N
    intparent, that sounds like a great idea with the virtual post-its. We don't have a mac but I'll bet there is something out there for her PC. She did try post-its on her bedroom wall with some success... but they would randomly fall off and slide to never-land behind her bed.

Grinity, thanks! That's interesting about rc, I'm bookmarking it for when I get really serious about becoming a better person :-).

Thanks BonusMom, "Late, Lost and Unprepared" is now on my growing book list...I am developing quite the library! We need a "book exchange" site for those of us who want to help/understand our children without going broke!

W
    W
    I thought audio-sequential people were uber organized and the VS were the "total messy desk" syndrome, but they knew where everything was. Not that they couldn't organized but while in the middle of something, they needed everything out, not able to just work on part of a task and put things away like a sequential person.

Or perhaps, able to, but with great difficulty.

Ren

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM