Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Can you find out how the gates program is structured from an administrative perspective?

There has to be a coordinator or PM for your school. Can you contact them?

Thinking out of the box here, but perhaps the gates program people can become an advocate for you? In the short and long term? From what I have read in the last hour, they seem pretty dedicated to making changes.

I emailed several people at the Gates Foundation Thursday, but I only had names and had to guess at the email addresses. I think only 2 or 3 went though. Nobody has gotten back to me.

The permission slip contained the name of someone at the Gates Foundation and it looks like he is the academic in charge of the project. I sent him an email saying that either the school principal is misinformed (in which case, could he please clear this up) or that his study is not obtaining informed consent. I would imagine that this accusation loosens the bowels of any reputable researcher.

I just hope he checks his email. I sent it to his university because I am not sure what the email convention is at the Gates Foundation. I also stole your point about Bill Gates being the beneficiary of exceptional educational opportunities and suggested he would not have intentionally funded a study that would prevent a bright child from appropriate placement.

So I threatened his reputation and his funding. To bad I can't follow through!

The school has not been helpful. They are either lying or confused. The school district is huge and has a bad reputation for bureaucratic nonsense. I think it would be a lot of effort with little return, but I'll probably do a email tomorrow with a lot of cc's.

I did NOT use the syphilis reference, but I enjoyed reading that!

N
    N
    If you don't get anything useful out of the guy in charge of the project, I think the next step would be to email this to Anderson Cooper 360 at CNN, for his "Keeping them Honest" segment. He might be interested in getting some answers!

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Someone asked me about this and I realized I should provide a summary of how eveything ended up:

In the end I gave up. Nobody from the Gates Foundation responded to any of my emails and the school principal changed her story several times. At our final meeting she said they would NEVER allow an outside organization to dictate placement.

She also said they gave my son a test on the fourth grade material and his score did not qualify him to be accelerated (I think he got an 80 or 85%). We were not informed that he was being tested for placement prior to being told he had not qualified.

The catch is that the test was administered by the Gates study! The principal didn't even seem capable of grasping that this WAS allowing an outside organization to dictate placement. She even admited she had never seen the test and didn't know what was on it. She also couldn't tell me what the range of scores in my son's class was.

My son is taking an EPGY course online.

I don't think our difficulties were caused by the Gates study, but the school definitely used the study an an excuse to not deal with us and nobody at the Gates Foundation stepped up to prevent it. And they certainly did not do an adequate job of communicating the study parameters to school personnel or parents. Very disturbing situation.

As I mentioned previously, the academic in charge of the study DID respond to an email I sent to him at the university he is affiliated with. But after our final conversation with the principal I didn't think it was worth anyone's time to pursue it further.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM