Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    2ppaamm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Dottie, thanks for the help!

I have not yet received the full report because our psychologist was hospitalized, right after the test and could not finish the report. Before she went to the hospital, she sent me an email and that's what I enclosed in the previous post. I have no clue what the raw scores are, that's why I gave some information about the test as I observed, e.g. got all the questions right.

Throughout the first day of testing, he was non-complaint and could not see well. In the second test, he still could not see well due to an allergy, but he was more compliant and agreed to answer questions.

For Comprehension, DS refused to answer the questions up till a certain point, so the test discontinued. He was giving nonsensical answers with puns and stuff and joking about them. The psychologist went on to do Information the next day. Should we have finished it rather than replace it with Information? She did.

I had ask for her to consider using Picture Completion to replace Block Design due to his poor motor skills. She replaced Picture concepts with Picture Completion instead. In any case, the Picture Concepts score was 15.

As for Arithmetic, I requested for the test as I read that it is a good measure of g. After the first day, his test did suggest that he is highly gifted. I'm not sure if this matters since FSIQ is not interpretable given his low PS. Letter-number sequence was 18.

I think his low PSI is due to poor motor skills and poor eyesight that day, but it didn't matter. He would not sit through another test, as he hates the center. He said he doesn't want to go to a place where a psychologist works with 'ill' patients. He said he does not want to be a patient no matter how I explained to him. He has already made up his mind.

I can go to the psychologist's office and ask her secretary for the raw scores tomorrow morning, if it helps.

Last edited by 2ppaamm; 11/10/10 08:03 AM.
    2ppaamm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    In your shoes I would choose private behavior therapy (ABA, CBT) and really work on problem behaviors as intensively as can be managed. Giftedness, in our experience, doesn't go away, but problem behaviors stay until they're resolved. You could choose to remediate the problem behaviors now, negotiating the best academic content you can for the moment but prioritizing good social functioning, and get him back into the gifted program again once he's operating in a more socially acceptable way.
    DeeDee
    I'm interested to explore these private behavior therapy. Where can I get more information about these? I Googled but nothing much came up. I will be visiting the Special School to find out how they can cater to DS. I'm also thinking of homeschooling and sending him for these therapies in the afternoons, instead of sending him to a Special School full-time. Can it work like that?

It does not matter if he gets back on the gifted program once I pull him out. It is an elementary school, and there're just two years left. He is not really engaged in the program, so the only reason I want to hold on to the place is because he has a few very good friends and he treasures those friendships. I asked the school if they would allow him to go back for just a few classes a week to keep the link, but they do not look keen.

One high school did offer him a place to do Grade 9 in the school, but he is not interested at all. He said he'd be the only one who has not broken his voice. So I didn't pursue.

2ppaamm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ha ha! Dottie, you are spot on. I'm testing in Asia. Does that make a difference?

Can you also advise me whether using extended norms would be a better reflection of his cognitive ability? Thanks!

Last edited by 2ppaamm; 11/10/10 09:08 AM.
    2ppaamm Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    However, I'm starting to think that your index scores DO include extended norms, even if your subtest scores (the 18/19's) do not. That might explain everything...
    Glad that it make sense to you! smile Do you know what percentile he would be in? The psychologist indicated '>99.9' which does not say much to me.

Last edited by 2ppaamm; 11/10/10 09:14 AM.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by 2ppaamm
    I'm interested to explore these private behavior therapy. Where can I get more information about these? ... I will be visiting the Special School to find out how they can cater to DS. I'm also thinking of homeschooling and sending him for these therapies in the afternoons, instead of sending him to a Special School full-time. Can it work like that?

It certainly can work like that. There is a good list of providers and a nice discussion forum for AS on this website:

http://www.aspergersyndrome.org/Home.aspx

I hope you find a good situation!

DeeDee

Originally Posted by 2ppaamm
    The psychologist indicated '>99.9' which does not say much to me.
    Tip of the hat to Dottie!

what 1:1000 says to me is that unless you are living in one of the few school districts that is well above average, that there is a very good chance that you local psychologist, local teacher, local neighbors have ZERO experience with 'kids like him.' So take what they say with a grain of salt. Or perhaps more salt than that.

Beyond that, there really isn't much more to say. It doesn't say what your child will be like as a grown up, or what his actual current educational readiness level is. But there are a few professionals around the US who have seen bucketfulls of kids 'like him' and are in a much better position to give helpful advice.

BTW - a school doesn't have to have any experience to actual meet a kid's individual needs. They just have to have the mindset that each child is an individual, and that they might have to throw away all the preconcieved notions, that they are willing to find out what his educational readiness levels are across the board, and provide for it.

The interpersonal stuff is harder to accomidate, but not that hard. Your current school doesn't seem willing to do even the smallest things, such as provide a 10$ squeezy apple for your son to mutilate during high-stress moments.

Open mindedness and flexibility are so important. Sadly, it is often true that the more expertise someone has the less open and flexible they act. It's human nature to 'not see' what we believe to 'not exist.'

We talk about LOG (levels of giftedness) here with such easy and confidence. An yet, LOG is still not part of the world-view of most of the folks working in the field of Giftedness.

Shrugs and More Shrugs,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM