Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    N
    Nik Offline
    N
    Kerry,
    in my humble opinion you shouldn't hesitate to let your daughter skip another grade. If she is "the Boss" rather than the "team leader" and she is already a year younger than her classmates, I am thinking she is clearly not with her true peers. My oldest went through the same thing and was so much happier after skipping to the grade with her true peers (and she happily quit being so bossy because her peers were more willing and able to challenge/compete with her). My youngest was so physically small and socially immature that we decided not to have her skip and in hindsight I think it was a huge, HUGE mistake. I wish I had known about the "some of my best friends are books" back then...my daughter read "strawberry girl" off of the accelerated reader list at her magnet school in 2nd or 3rd grade...talk about inappropriate...

I love the quote above. I wish I had found this site 10 years ago

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Nik
    my daughter read "strawberry girl" off of the accelerated reader list at her magnet school in 2nd or 3rd grade...talk about inappropriate...

"Classic" books that won awards back in the 40s and 50s are just full of inappropriateness. I was looking at the suggested reading list for one of the private schools near us, and "A Cricket in Times Square" was on it. That one got pulled from the giant ebay box-o-books, because the gratuitous racism completely overshadowed the story.

OP Offline
    Nik - I know, we're coming to terms with the idea of having her skip another year. I think a big part of it is that she is our 1st and we still see her as a little kid, and it is hard to think of her with the "big kids".

I hadn't thought of what you said about her not being bossy if she is with people who are truly her peers. But, now that I think about it, when she plays with one of her friends, there is never an issue of her being bossy, or them not getting along or anything that you worry about when kids play together. In fact they play together so well that as soon as they see each other they disappear and only re-appear to ask for food or drink! This is such a novelty for us that I didn't connect the two until you mentioned it. This friend is 1 1/2 years older than her, and is also gifted, but probably not quite as much as DD and they are a perfect match for each other. He gets her to play dragon battle games and she gets him to dress up like a prince (in her dress up clothes) and "rescue" DD2 from the evil dragons they are fighting. laugh (We adults just need to be careful when we enter their area or we may become the evil wizard who rules the dragonland.)

She did her reading diagnostic test last week and we got an email that the teacher would like to discuss it with us, so we'll see what she has to say when we meet.

Yeah, in terms of inappropriateness of books her teacher last year (grade 2) had her reading Where the Red Fern Grows, and Cricket in Time Square!

C
    C
    Inappropriate = asking a 2nd grader to research beavers at home on goggle. I haven't even figured out to address that one, especially since the teacher involved is trying so hard to do appropriate stuff for dd.

Warning: sleep deprived
    P
    P
    Set your Google to safe search. I just tried beavers on mine and there were no inappropriate listings.

Last edited by passthepotatoes; 11/06/10 07:08 PM.
    C
    C
    Now that I think about it she came home with a list of urls from the teacher. Whatever, it was weird and inappropriate. The computer now has a password.

Warning: sleep deprived
    N
    Nik Offline
    N
    "Beavers" OMG, that's awful! It reminds me of the song that all of the campers would sing at the GT summer camp my girls went to for years: "The Beaver Song". It was so cute, with hand gestures and everything.

We didn't realize until someone explained it to us years later that it was actually a really crude ditty originally made up by men on a hunting trip. The camp director had learned it from her husband and oblivious, introduced it to the kids. It became a camp ritual and her husband never had the heart to tell her.

Kerry, there are going to be pros and cons the cons being that she will be exposed to things earlier that you may not like and then what to do when she graduates - mine went straight to college on an academic scholarship at 15 and she was miserable even in the honors dorm she was surrounded by party-ers and she felt very lonely and out of place. She joined a service fraternity and couldn't even walk dogs at the shelter because of her age. Not trying to discourage you, I think skipping was the right thing at the time but if I had it to do over I might have tried to have her do something else for 2 years after high school rather than go straight to college.

Originally Posted by Kerry
    her teacher last year (grade 2) had her reading Where the Red Fern Grows

Just gotta vent, what is WITH children's books where a beloved animal gets shot or mauled to death? Where the Red Fern Grows, Sounder, Old Yeller, The Yearling . . . Sheesh.

C
    C
    My google search uses the default settings ("moderate" not "strict") and I can't find anything "inappropriate" by googling beavers. So I don't see what this teacher's done wrong, personally. Would you want her to avoid every word that has ever been part of a double entendre? Or did you mean that you don't think it's appropriate for a 2nd grader to be doing internet research at all?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Nik
    "The Beaver Song". It was so cute, with hand gestures and everything.

We didn't realize until someone explained it to us years later that it was actually a really crude ditty originally made up by men on a hunting trip.

Having Googled for lyrics, I come up with something completely harmless. I can't imagine grown men either inventing or singing a song (with hand motions!) that goes "Beaver Four, Beaver Five, Let's All Do the Beaver Jive" and thinking it was "really crude."

Another vote for "there's nothing inappropriate about kids learning about beavers from Google," sorry. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM