Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #8866 02/14/08 10:48 AM
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I try to keep up with each kid's needs, but sometimes it's too much and I over-react--ever happened to you?

HS Freshman DS tells me yesterday that 9th graders will take the EXPLORE test in a week and he wishes he didn't have to take it (He took it 3 yrs ago and scored well, plus has since done the ACT/SAT, so he sees this as yet another step backwards). I email his counselor to see if he can get out of it, but wish I hadn't. DH later said, "We paid money for him to take that test once, and now he gets to do it for free--why not?" I know the counselor is going to think I'm insane (not from this alone ;)). I'm embarrassed that I knee-jerk responded to kid's request, without thinking about it more. Oh well.

cym #8873 02/14/08 11:52 AM
    cym - I think we all have those days! This isn't exactly the same but my now DS10 when he was 4 told me about a substitute preschool teacher being mad at him for turning in a paper later than the other kids and that she crumpled it up and threw it away. He came home crying about it so I called the school and told them what he said happened and that I was very upset about it. Well after I got off the phone he told me what a cute paper it was with birds, etc. and I look in his folder and guess what - there it was!!!! I felt sooooooo embarrassed and then right after that the sub teacher called me all upset and in a tizzy because she didn't throw the paper away. Anyway, it all wound up ok with apologies on every side but to this day I still feel kind of stupid about that. But it was a valuable lesson for me- I try to find out what really happened now before I react.

I think we have all been through those types of embarrassing times because we want to do what is right for our kids and like you said, we just react without really thinking it through. I'm sure it will all be ok though! :-)

EandCmom #8876 02/14/08 12:24 PM
    Cym,
    I don't see the harm in requestiong that your son be protected from waisting his time in that particular instance.

But yes, I have several moment that live in my memory: My favorite was walking in on this scene from daycare, age 1.5 to 2.5, not sure exactly-

The teacher, a very nice person, was holding up DS's sippy cup.
    DS was moaning, "Mau-gah! Mau-gah!"
    Her: "SAY WA-TER!" while she dangled the cup.
    DS:(whining now) Mau-gah! Mau-gah!

I was so upset, and I'm sure that whatever I said and did next showed every ounce of that upset. Something defensive of his ability to communicate - that's for sure. I wish I hadn't been so easy to scare back then. ((shrug and red face))

He's still a bit lazy with his diction, and wants to talk while eating, which besides being gross, is almost impossible to understand. Of course if he were clearly enunciating DH and I would be trying to train him to sound, "regular." ((shrug))

((hugs))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Dottie #8906 02/14/08 08:58 PM
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks EandC Mom, Grinity and Dottie for your kindness.

It's not a big deal, I put my foot in mouth more often than the over-advocating stunts (all the time--that's MY talent). I LOVE your stories--so funny & familiar!

Cym

cym #9070 02/17/08 01:10 PM
    You know Cym, I find myself in simliar situations quite frequently - and then, like you, question myself. But I find consolation in the fact that I have actually listened to my child, not being the "pushy mom" all along :-)I hope that my kids can see that, forget other people.

Ania #9086 02/18/08 03:34 AM
    I know I constantly have foot in mouth, just need the drink to wash it down so I dont choke. I think when trying to do whats best for my children and coupling that with frustration and emotions, embarassing situations are sure to arise. I take comfort in the fact that I can learn from these and grow from it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM