Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
    B
    B
    For younger kids, mine used to like Scrambled States of America. We don't play it much anymore though. For those anatomy lovers... we have an AWESOME game called Skeletons in the closet. This game is so fun, so easy, and doesn't take forever to play. While we LOVE the way things work, it takes much longer to play than this one. Kids learn the names of bones (basic bones, not too detailed) or there is a simpler version of play also. They have to build a skeleton by collecting bones and cartons of milk and what not.

http://www.amazon.com/Skeletons-in-the-Closet-Game/dp/B0008JIL9U

B
    B
    One more... We also love, are you smarter than a 5th grader (we have the board game and the computer game.) The board game is cute, comes in like a tin lunch box looking thing. Fun game!

Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, we are also fans of Blokus, Blokus Duo and Blokus Trigon, although we never got into Trigon as much as the others. I love the other new suggestions... DS5 would probably love Stratego now.

I noticed last night that there seem to be a slew of new logic solitaire games out lately, and some of them look pretty neat. I'll post links later (on my phone at present).

Anyone besides us like Bandu / Bausack?

ETA: Here are some of the games I noticed only recently, none of which I've tried, all of which you can probably find on websites other than Amazon as well. Anyone try any of these?

Air Traffic Control Tower
    Anti-Virus
    Architecto - Equilibrio - Tangramino - Cliko[/b] (link is to the easiest / first one, Architecto)
    [b]Crazy Campers
    Fire Escape
    Hedgehog Escape
    HooDoo Loop
    Meta-Forms
    Maze Ways Cat and Mouse
    North Pole Camouflage
    Pentago
    Pirates Undercover
    Police Blockade
    Sink or Swim
    Six
    Zoologic

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    S
    S
    We like games a lot at our house. I love this thread (although I have vowed that we have too many games already and will not be getting more for Christmas). DS is 6, but most of the ages recommended for these games are clearly a lot older than that.

Qwirkle
    Carcassonne
    Quiddler (a word game)
    Equate (scrabble with equations)
    Labyrinth (by Ravensburger)
    Set
    Blink
    Toss Up
    Blokus
    Mancala
    Gobblet
    Quixo
    Pass the Pigs
    Cirkus
    Mastermind
    Quarto
    Izzi
    Settlers of Catan
    Sorry
    Clue

S
    S
    oh, yeah and for computer games DS6 really loves Crazy machines: The wacky contraptions game

http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Machine...dp/B000B642OI/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Oh, yeah! Mastermind! And we have and like Crazy Machines too. Sooner or later I will update the first post with a list of all the games, maybe broken down into category (board, computer, etc.).

ETA: Done.

Last edited by Iucounu; 11/02/10 12:42 PM.

Games! Except I feel guilty getting more games because I don't think we play the ones we have enough. DS8 loves Risk, Clue, Mastermind, blokus, Othello, and I just pulled out my old game of Triominoes which was fun (DD5 liked it better). For computer games he loves Civilization, Spore, and Rome. He also loves Washington's War, which is a complex behemoth. My DH plays dungeonmaster every 2-3 weeks for him and 3 friends to play D&D, but if someone (NanRos?) can suggest a less complicated D&D like table top card/board game that would be awesome - I will def. check out the Crazy Machines game. I'd also love to find a RP type game for my DD5 - there used to be a fairy/elf type one out there but I haven't found it lately.

My DD5 is just now getting bored with Gobblet, but liked it alot for a couple months (like regular tic-tac-toe, it gets repetitive eventually). She absolutely adores Uno, probably because she wins a lot and can beat her older brother. She also likes other card games. For practicing math facts I really recommend Shut the Box - you can make up variations for the different operations. She doesn't do too much on the computer, but I highly recommend World of Goo - which is kind of too odd to describe, but involves building and physics and problemsolving and is tons of fun - I like it too (and has been age appropriate so far - we haven't worked the entire game yet).

I'd love recommendations for age appropriate computer games that might be of interest to DD5. My kids get 30 minutes of screen time a day and i would prefer she use the time on the computer as opposed to watching tv, but that hasn't really happened yet.

Great thread.

Cat

N
    N
    We love many of the games listed! I'll add some other favorites:

Computer:

"Fritz & Chesster learn Chess" series. AWESOME way for kids to learn chess - super fun and extremely funny! My 5YO has enjoyed it as much as my 7YO.

Wrath of the Gods - great for kids who like Mythology, and extremely educational as well.

Board Games:

Chicken Cha-Cha-Cha - extremely fun and fast memory game that even young kids can play (my middle DS routinely smoked all of us at 4!)

Rummikub

Last edited by newtothis; 11/02/10 06:01 PM.
    Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Catalana, I'm really glad you came into this thread. We gave "World of Goo" for a present a couple of years ago, after I read some very promising reviews of it, but I've been unsuccessfully racking my brain today to remember the name. Good stuff, newtothis-- added.

Last edited by Iucounu; 11/02/10 06:08 PM.

B
    B
    Gosh, DS is loving Ipad games.

Have you guys tried Gravity? It's fabulous!
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/isaac-newtons-gravity/id345439503?mt=8

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM