Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
    M
    M
    My youngest loved Rush Hour Jr, even at around 3 or 4. I had to set up the board for him, but he could solve it on his own. I always found that interesting, that he could solve the puzzle but could not set up the cars according to the picture on the game card. I'm sure that reflects something in his reasoning / puzzle solving skills!
    Lucy

P
    P
    I haven't read the whole list but my son loves the card game MadLibs. You deal each player a hand and the players have to make sentences out of the cards (nouns, adjectives, adverbs, verbs). You can do various rounds like first round 2 sentences, one 4 words and one 6 words, then 5 and 5, and so forth. Or you can just play until someone has a sentence. We end up with sentences like "Crazy, sweaty grandmothers quickly, contentedly, sweetly devoured hot, red tubesocks". The only requirement is that the sentence be grammatically correct, but you can fudge that when they are younger. Mine has been playing it since he was about 6.

He also loves Pentago, Stratego, Risk, and "We, the People", which is very tedious and the rules are endless. His all time favorite is Monopoly, which he used to play at age 5, being two players and the banker and he'd sit for two hours and play by himself. All variations of Monopoly he likes - Monopoly Deal (card game) and Monopoly Express (very short version). UDeal Mondopoly was not so great, though. He's always liked a card game called States Rummy (I think) - you have to get 5 contiguous states and it's played like gin rummy. He also likes Canasta and Chickenfoot.

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers
    S
    sonutong
    Unregistered
    sonutong
    Unregistered
    S
    hi
    oh this is very good game about the details information about the I am appreciating the more simple games that still challenge.

U
    U
    Looking for a new game rec for DS4's birthday (about to turn 5, obviously). Current favorites are Gubs (we LOVE this game), Farkle, chess, Ruckus, and mancala. I'm not looking to spend much because I've already splurged on another gift, but he has asked for another game. We do have a lot already.

U
    U
    OMG, I just constantly ask for game recs, huh? (embarrassed face)

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Spot it!

It is small and inexpensive. I carry it in my purse for wait times.

C
    C
    Rat A Tat Cat!

Warning: sleep deprived
    U
    U
    We have both of those already. smile He is actually ready for games that are harder than those, although I find Spot It fun myself. He seems to be fine for games in the 8-12 range as long as they do not involve writing, spelling, wordplay or knowledge of the world/trivia/pop culture that a young child would not possess. Complex rules, strategy and math are fine.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    I don't have this one but someone I know recommended it and I will probably pick it up for the next birthday we have.

http://www.amazon.com/Wildcraft-Herbal-Adventure-cooperative-board/dp/B001M9JD9W

Kind of an unusual subject matter but apparently kids like it.

D
    D
    Forbidden Island?

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM