Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Everyone should know about Underachievement, and the terrible price we all pay for it.'
    Loved your idea for the underachievement film and can totally see it! laugh

C
    C
    Originally Posted by knute974
    Cricket, don't wait too long to have that talk! Not that this applies to your child, when my niece attended 7th grade sex ed in Ft. Collins, she observed that the vast majority of kids who were experimenting with sex were also the kids whose parents opted them out of sex ed.
    She and I have talked. I've talked with dd10 as well. It's an ongoing conversation, but I must admit that we haven't discussed anal sex!

I suspect that the kids whose parents opted them out here and who are experimenting, as you mention, may be from homes where the parents opted them out of the class due to religious beliefs. We have a pretty large core of fundamentalist Christians around here. Some of the kids are taught nothing but abstinence. As I recall from grad school (I majored in Public Health), the abstinence only education that focuses on scare tactics tends to create more teen pregnancies b/c it doesn't reduce kids having sex, it just reduces them using protection when they do.

We aren't particularly religious and I wouldn't opt out of a program due to the hope that dds will wait until marriage. I have expressed to them that I don't want them having sex in their early/mid teens, but that they need to talk with me if they are considering it so we can discuss birth control. (I've also let them know that the family tends toward fertility as I was on birth control both times I got pg! and that a pregnancy isn't the only "bad" outcome of sex.)

Point being, we are talking. I just want to be able to talk privately which is a better fit for dd12's personality at least. She was really embarrassed by the concept of a male teacher she didn't know talking with them and really bothered by the co-ed part of it b/c the boys were just joking and laughing.

Sorry to derail -- back to your regularly scheduled conversation!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM