Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    So Pink - take heart! Your daughter is 'acting in' where my son used to 'act out' but the message is the same: "Help!" Please take this with the same seriousness of purpose you would if your DD were biting kids and throwing chairs - because her inner pain is the inner-directed eqivalent, ok? Her school really really needs to know about this, in all it's ugly details.

((hugs and pats))
    Grinity

I never really even considered that as a possibility until recently, and now it makes so much sense! Thanks.

Last edited by pinkpanther; 02/13/08 03:15 PM.
    I had migraines as a kid. They went away about the time I got out of elementary school. I always figured that was because of some hormonal change, but maybe they stopped because of the increased challenge that middle school presented to me.

That I'm having migraines again now, some 25-30 years later--what does that mean then?

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in that I wouldn't take migraines or stomachaches lightly.

K-

Kriston
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Really? Your DD, too? This is really fascinating. I'm just kicking myself for not really thinking about this earlier. DD does tend to internalize things and put pressure on herself, but I never made the connection.

I think the same may be true for my DD in terms of her early years. She went to 4K-1st at a private school that offers a more challenging curriculum (the kids work a year ahead).

P
    OP Offline
    P
    You, too? Does anyone know if there is any research connecting giftedness and migraines?

I asked our pediatrician if she thought it could be hormonal, but she said she didn't think so. I can't remember now what her reasons were, though. One of the first questions she asked us, though, was how school was going.

We are definitely going to take it seriously.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    DD11, my creative child was interestingly enough...a "nurse abuser" in K-4th. DD13 was a HUGE rule follower, but DD11 always found a way out of doing what she didn't want to do.

LOL! Your girls seem to be a lot like mine. DD9 is my rule follower (the internalizer). DD6 doesn't really try to get out of work (yet), but she definitely goes mentally AWOL on tasks that are repetitive or boring for her. I guess her way of escaping is more mental rather than physical.

It makes sense that there's some connection with GTness, though I haven't seen any specific studies. The increased sensitivity of GT kids--particularly to stress--combined with the increased stress in the lives of underchallenged GT kids seems likely to make them migraine targets. (or at least more likely than ND kids, anyway...)

Migraines also run in families, just as GTness does. My mom and uncle have migraines, and though I don't know for sure, I'd guess both are probably vanilla GT or MG, perhaps higher. I also know that if one or more of your parents have migraines, chances are you will have them, too. (My sister and I both get them, and we were both GT kids.)

Dunno if that helps...

Kriston
    I googled migraine and gifted children and found these things--though I don't vouch for my sources. This is the Internet, and I'm not doing any fact-checking, plus some may be multiple citations of the same basic source. I'm not looking too closely...

http://www.riage.org/perfectionism.html (par. 2 especially)

http://stuartbuck.blogspot.com/2004/04/gifted-children.html (the link didn't work, so this one is really questionable...)

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/Committee/eet_ctte/completed_inquiries/1999-02/gifted/report/c02.doc (see esp. the intro and section 2.9.)

http://books.google.com/books?id=QD...pQwx&sig=t7oRr7GTZ-9R5eeKhXtrSGcw98g

Basically, it looks like it's accepted as fact that perfectionism is more common in GT kids than ND kids, and one of the commonly accepted symptoms of perfectionism is migraine. Ergo, GT kids get migraines more than most kids.

Makes sense, I think. Though I'm not sure it's *just* the perfectionism that causes the migraines. Other stresses--like boredom--would hit even GT kids who aren't perfectionists. I'm betting those are a factor, too.

FWIW...

Kriston
    "I had migraines as a kid. They went away about the time I got out of elementary school. I always figured that was because of some hormonal change, but maybe they stopped because of the increased challenge that middle school presented to me.

That I'm having migraines again now, some 25-30 years later--what does that mean then?"

Kriston,
    Allergies can also kick off migraines. Any chance you could be allergic to elementary school teachers?

HEE HEE HEE

Incog

Last edited by incogneato; 02/13/08 06:11 PM. Reason: spelled hee hee hee wrong!
    ROFL!

Today I think I'm allergic to elementary students, or at least to the bad attitude that can sometimes accompany them (and that definitely accompanied mine today!). Argh.

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    DD11, my creative child was interestingly enough...a "nurse abuser" in K-4th. DD13 was a HUGE rule follower, but DD11 always found a way out of doing what she didn't want to do. On her preschool evaluation it was noted that she had to go to the bathroom daily just minutes before the regular cleanup time. And then from K on....we had literally dozens of nurse slips for all kinds of excuses. I never before thought of that as something to do with giftedness. What do we call that one Grin? Acting Elsewhere Altogether?

Oh Dottie Dear! It's called 'curriculum compacting' - hee hee hee! Your DD11 is a take-charge kind of kid.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM