Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #84562 09/08/10 12:32 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    h

Last edited by master of none; 12/27/13 11:35 AM.
    Oh no mon!

Can you email the teacher and the principal and tell her what dd told you?

It sounds like after last year you feel like you have Advocated as hard as you could - but do you want to recap what happened and see if we can't think of something to try next?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    That's so sad, MON! I definitely would e-mail the teacher about this. She clearly has a very high EQ, in addition to all her other abilities, but it's such a shame that she's having to use it to not just fit in socially but academically as well.

Am I remembering your previous posts correctly that her school just has no interest in acceleration at all? Do you have other schooling options you're considering, or do you feel like she needs to remain in this school?

She thought she could, so she did.
    Good for her! Did she tell the teacher about what happened and therefore got the chance to improve her answers, or did everyone get a chance to fix things? Either way, yay that the teacher will get to see what she can really do!

She thought she could, so she did.
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Good news! She had a chance to go back and complete the test and she took the opportunity to "improve" her answers.
    Yippee! That's wonderful!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    R
    R
    I just hope the teacher takes this on board, sees and argues for what your child requires, and the school is receptive and sensitive to your child's needs.

C
    C
    On another note, the social studies teacher- who didn't have a say, but was against the idea of skipping since the 5th graders are so much more mature, has assigned dd a report on genital mutilation. DD said they did not get to choose, but instead had them assigned. And she said she would rather have had a report on the oil spill or flooding or the cholera outbreak. While I'm tempted to complain, I think I'll just support dd to understand the issue fully so she can write a decent report. Seriously, is it even an appropriate topic for any fifth grader?

NO! If my dd was 5th grade age, we might talk about it at home, but not for a report at school.

Warning: sleep deprived
    N
    N
    Seriously, is it even an appropriate topic for any fifth grader? Not for 10 year old DS for sure- glad HE didn't get the topic (he got rainforest).

I would say that isn't an approriate topic until high school !!

That is awful!!! I would hate to think that teacher can be so calculating but I have to wonder. It really puts you in a tough spot. If you complain about the topic choice than you are 'proving' the teacher right. Grrrrr. I really feel for you. I have to play the 'If I was in your shoes game' and I fully agree with you. You really can't complain, but I would hold on to the topic and get ready for the next round. If the teacher continues in this pattern I would definitely talk to the principal.

M
    M
    On another note, the social studies teacher- who didn't have a say, but was against the idea of skipping since the 5th graders are so much more mature, has assigned dd a report on genital mutilation. DD said they did not get to choose, but instead had them assigned. And she said she would rather have had a report on the oil spill or flooding or the cholera outbreak. While I'm tempted to complain, I think I'll just support dd to understand the issue fully so she can write a decent report.

MoN, once again you impress me. I'd be hard-pressed to see past being upset about the topic but you know your DD well and have found a way to make this into a bigger learning opportunity for her. I agree with PPs that this is REALLY not an appropriate topic to assign to 5th graders. I hope that this is not the sign of more to come from this teacher. Best of luck!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM