Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #8761 02/13/08 09:22 AM
    OP Offline
    I hear there has been a new technical report issued by Harcourt Brace with a new norming sample for gifted(?). I believe it has something to do with a request from NAGC?
    Something to do with children scoring at 18 or 19 on two or more subtest earning more points.

Does anyone(and by anyone I mean anyone but most especially Dottie?) know anything about this.

Will this affect children taking the test going forward or is my child's test re-scored?

Thanks,
    I

A
    A

C
    C
    Interesting. Our DS8 earned two 19s and two 18s on the subtests. I wonder how this would impact the interpretation of his test report, given that it was written 3-4 months ago.

Tara

acs Offline
    Tara,

If you have the raw scores, you can recalculate his final score. But if you don't have the raw scores, you can't do it with just the 18 or 19 numbers. Perhaps you could ask your tester to send you the numbers or you could ask him/her to recalculate the final score based on this update.

acs Offline
    Dottie,
    Well my DS does have some 19's and we did have the raw scores,so I recalculated but his score didn't change at all.

Agree with Dottie about the reserved issue on Vocab. I had encouraged him to stay focused and not share everything he was thinking--only later did I find out that he could have gotten more "bonus points" if he had given more detailed answers. I just didn't want him to talk the tester's ear off!

OP Offline
    Hey everybody!

DD8 had two 19's and one 18. I did shoot the tester an e-mail asking if this changed her score, but I figured I might get a quicker answer from you all on the board.
    Based on what you are saying it doesn't seem it would change her score, but I was never given a GAI score for her, just FSIQ.
    One of her topped out scores was in processing speed, the other two in the Perceptual Reasoning Index.
    I will post if I find out if it changes her score.
    This seems to be a good thing, though. I hope it clarifies things for those that are seemingly unmeasurable using that test.

Dottie, that seemed surprising to me as well. None of them obtained a FSIQ of 150 or higher? That's odd. Has anyone obtained a 160 on the WISC-IV? I've read recent postings of about 150-152, I believe. Interesting............

Incog

OP Offline
    I kind of get what you are saying. So my question is, we all think of an extreme IQ score is anywhere above 155, or at least I do. Did anyone score there on the new WISC? If not, what is the new extreme score? is it 145?
    Do I care?
    Yes, because my DD8 FSIQ is 148 on WISC-IV and the school is going to say, "It's not like she has an IQ in the 150's or 160's or anything!"

Let's get a perspective on what the scores for this test mean, so the educational system doesn't underestimate these kids' needs based on the old SB's number scale.
    And maybe someone has evidence that shows, yeah, those kids that were getting 170's on the SB are still getting 160 on WISC-IV, but I haven't seen it. On the contrary, the norming sample seems to indicate the number would come in lower.

Does that make sense?

Or am I borrowing trouble.

Incog

OP Offline
    Dottie, our posts cross, I am going to PM you with that info.

Incog

OP Offline
    So, did they score above 150, then?

OP Offline
    Yes, but comparatively, what does that 150 score from WISC-IV mean? I know there's no perfect translation.
    But what does it do to that 1 in 1000, 1 in 10,000 way of putting things in perspective with the numbers?
    It can't be the same can it? Sounds like there are a lot less children that would score 160 on the WISC-IV as compared to previous tests.
    Yes? No?

I

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM