Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
    #87769 10/21/10 04:32 PM
    Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The wife and I have a meeting with some local public school personnel tomorrow morning, to decide what to do about DS5, who has spent the beginning of the school year in kindergarten. Since he's been there, he has settled in and made some friends.

He has been doing well behaviorally (after a preschool year where he acted up/out because of extreme boredom), but is really not challenged at all. He reads at least 5-6 grade levels ahead at this point with ease, but the first month's big reading accomplishment for the class was to learn "I", "am", "a", and "little", and to learn to recognize some letters. (I am not knocking the program here, and actually think the reading part is well-thought-out, but want to convey the size of the subject-matter gap we're facing at this time.) He is doing 3rd-to-5th grade math, and they're learning to count, etc. etc. etc.

This afternoon we had a conference call with his teacher, whom I like quite a bit, to prepare for tomorrow's big meeting. She said that our son is absent-minded (absolutely true), and could stand some more training on school routines, of the type they get most/best in K; that skipping him to first won't solve anything, because he probably won't learn a single fact or skill during the normal first-grade year that he doesn't already know; and that she's thus going to recommend that he stay in K.

What she's offering so far:

1. During breakaway sessions, putting him in his own group with advanced material, perhaps with a few of the brighter kids in the class, which he could sort of teach (?). I'm not sure how this will work-- but the way she explained it, it seemed like she's trying to find a way to keep him from being isolated in a corner with fourth-grade workbooks, which means to me that (a) she did her homework, and (b) she cares about doing the right thing. Breakaway sessions are currently used for reading and math, and I'm not sure what else.

2. When other kids are learning about subjects on a basic level, having him work on research projects in the same area. So, for example, she said that they will begin learning about ocean life soon, which will involve reading / being read to about sea creatures, etc. He will be allowed to listen in if he wants, but will be given a project that he can work on at his own pace, to learn on a deeper level about the subject (maybe learning about what marine biologists do, I dunno). She made this sound pretty good, too, although I guess we will have to learn more about the details tomorrow. I'm not sure if these projects will be done on his own, or if his little super-team will be with him.

3. Putting together, with the rest of the team with whom we'll be meeting tomorrow, a special curriculum to keep track of each of his subject areas. I don't understand much about this yet-- it seems to me that one could just string all the parts of the K-6 mandatory curriculum together end-to-end, and track his progress through the list. I think what she's saying is that they will track him separately from the class and grade his work separately, which sounds good, though it also sounds like it's a necessary consequence of giving him accelerated material. Perhaps I'm missing something-- perhaps she means that she will find activities that will appeal to him more than the rote-learning activities they normally give the children. I just don't know.

4. Giving him more appropriate homework (instead of the normal homework, not in addition to it).

This is only the second year that kindergarten has even been offered in our school district, and the vice principal told my wife previously that this was completely new territory for them (I think this may mean acceleration in general, across all grades, which is a little scary to say the least). But so far I have faith in our teacher, who sounds like she is signing on for a ton of extra work just for our son, and who sounds like she is doing her best to think of what's best for him.

Is there anything specific we should ask for tomorrow? Do you think this all sounds promising? I tend to agree with our teacher that grade-skipping is not the answer right now. We couldn't possibly grade skip him multiple grades-- his motor skills aren't up to it, the size/maturity differences would be extreme, etc. Pull-outs would be awkward at best for the same reasons.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    What about one grade skip, with subject acceleration in math, or on line math. Let him read what he wants, but develop a very strong phonic background (It may help down the road). Keep writing on grade level of skip. In other subjects allow for epanded material.

Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    That sounds very good, but I think she will be advocating against a grade skip tomorrow. And I think she's likely to win on that, honestly. It sounds like they may never grade-skip in my area. During third grade, they begin to split the children into slow/normal/advanced groups for reading, etc., but that sounds like the extent of the normal acceleration. Besides, she's going to mount some arguments about him needing to learn to fit into a structured day, that no matter what grade he's in he will need subject acceleration (so a grade skip won't solve anything), etc.

Re: phonics, I forgot to mention that she ventured ideas for teaching him word roots, prefixes, and suffixes (which I was already doing, and glad to hear), and even etymology (in which he has already shown an interest). She said she has a book on Greek and Roman word roots written for children; I'm mighty interested to see that book.

"but that sounds like the extent of the normal acceleration."

Your DS sounds like he falls well outside the range of kids who would be well served by "normal acceleration." I agree that skipping may not necessarily make a difference, and sticking with a teacher who is willing to work with you may be the best option, but you are going to need skips sometime soon, so you should start to prepare them for that now.

If they aren't willing to consider a grade skip at least the teacher is willing to establish individualize lessons for your son. Very positive and with some of the projects you described, a great opportunity for him to work on his writing. My concern is next year. Will the school agree to continue this? Because if this is all coming from the teacher with no support from the school they can be setting your son up for a miserable time come next year. Are they willing to revisit the idea of skipping when your son's motor abilities catch up with the rest of him? I would definitely speak to this during the meeting.

Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Catalana, I know that your statements come in part from some sad experiences. Katelyn'sM om, your kindness in posting here is humbling, and actually brought tears to my eyes. I will keep what you both say in mind, and bring these issues up. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Iucounu; 10/21/10 06:02 PM.

C
    C
    If I were in your situation, I'd be agreeing wholeheartedly with the plan for K, with the caveat that 1st grade will be a useless waste of time and he will go from K to 2nd. The teacher's goal for the year can be just the routines, social expectations and motor skills. You could work on advanced material at home with the intention of him going to 2nd next fall.

F
    F
    I share your enthusiasm for his teacher. She's already put a lot of work into this and sounds like she really wants to deliver what's best for your ds at this time.

I'd also be focusing on what happens next year. If they haven't done grade skips before ask if they have composite classes say a 1/2 and 3/4. Our school (who have a gifted stream) have proposed our ds do his K year and then move into the 1/2 class, do 2nd grade work with the intention he come out at the end of the year and move into the 3/4 class. If necessary he could then do another skip the same way. Socially I think this approach makes a lot of sense.

In your discussion, once a grade skip this year is definitely off the cards, I'd also be blunt about how your ds behaves when he's bored and get it documented. First, as agreed warning signs that things aren't working and secondly, as insurance so if things do go pear shaped and your ds is bored and acts up, that it's not held against him when talking a grade skip next year. Too often you read here that behavior problems caused by boredom are used to say the child is too immature.

Last edited by freya; 10/21/10 07:59 PM.
    Hi locounu - I agree with the other posters who are saying that a teacher who is willing to work with your DS is a huge positive. We had a similar experience last year with our DS5 in kindergarten. For us, kindergarten made sense because although DS was reading and doing math grade levels ahead of K, he refused to learn to write and spell, so kindy was a good place. Also, there is a lot more play time in kindergarten, which he now misses in 2nd (yes, he skipped 1st).

It sounds like your school already gets just how far ahead your DS is. We struggled with this for half the year, and our DS didn't start getting much appropriate stuff until January or Feb., when they let him take the MAP test with the 2nd graders. Then, the gifted teacher compacted the 2nd grade math and basically tutored our DS separately. She also came in during our equivalent of breakaway time and worked on higher thinking skills with DS and a few other kids. For reading, the librarian and the classroom teacher helped to make sure he picked appropriate books, and the classroom teacher tried to differentiate throughout the school day with harder questions peppered in. Our DS was still underchallenged, but it got so much better when he got math at his level, which he loved.

Some specifics I might ask for - pretesting out of units and ability to continue working at his level. Regular revisits of the plan (monthly?) to see if things are working. Consider EPGY for individually paced math/reading. Some sort of plan for next year that includes the possibility of whole grade acceleration, with use of the Iowa Acceleration Scale (you could pull that out now too - if they see what a great candidate he is for a skip, maybe they'll reconsider now). (Our school offered 1st grade with pullouts for 3rd grade math and reading. We felt that was too much of a gap and wanted 2nd, and once they did the IAS, they agreed.)

Good luck!

M
    Mag Offline
    M
    Hope your meeting went well today.

Our DS5, who is still in PreK due to birthday cut off, also has a great teacher who tries to offer challenging material for DS. One thing she has done this year is having DS research a topic and present his findings. He can find the answers either via internet or books. This has helped with reading, writing, researching, and a little public speaking skills (DS can be a little shy).

I am glad to hear that there will be a progress chart and someone will keep track.... because one thing we have learned is that teachers can be enthusiastic at the beginning of the year, then.... things can get forgotten.

DD6 also has a teacher with good intention. The teacher put together a "challenging" folder, but this method is not working as DD does not want to feel left out and prefers to do the same work as her peers. And the teacher told us honestly that she rarely, if any, have time to teach DD separately. So, if you can, highly recommend that on your DS's education plan that the school will assign a specific teacher/aide responsible for each learning task.

Also, once in a while, try to make sure challenging/advanced work is not more busy work.

Good luck!
    Mag

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM