Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
    D
    D
    To cc6 (sorry, very much don't want to derail the thread, so please ignore at will): one game that worked for our DD was "multiplication war"; you just play regular "war" (i.e., dividing a regular card deck in two and each player putting down one card at a time; higher card wins) with this variation: each player puts down two cards at a time; the player with the higher multiplication product wins the round (you can do face cards = 10 points, or whatever). This is a great idea that came from my DD's wonderful Montessori teachers (as opposed to her awful ones), but of course you can see it can also be used for all of the basic math facts with just a few changes. I hope that helps; I'm not sure what to suggest re the shutting down. Best of luck!!

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    thx dbat, that's a great idea!
    yest i got out the disney monopoly version and he loved it.
    he is a real estate mogul lol
    but i thought what a great way to work with 'money' etc
    also yah i sorta highjacked the thread rt there.
    sorry.
    re beast academy- no my son not quite ready, the site she gave has an easy assessment test to take, it was very helpful and i will hold off on beast route...

luc-- how is your child doing almost a month later?
    does he continue to feel his time is wasted at school?
    how is he doing psychologically?
    all the best to you guys smile

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi, cc6! Sorry I didn't see this before, and I wish you all the best too. DS isn't learning a lot right now at school. Our educational consultant is meeting with his teachers for the first time without us on Friday, and hopefully some differentiation will begin to flow from that.

I also got a nice call from the principal today, who asked for permission to test DS with a screening program used in the middle school here. The program is called Star Math by Renaissance Learning, and seems to be a quick 15-20 online assessment tool. He said that the results of that would be looked at by the middle school math coordinator and one other person, and that possibly DS might go to the middle school at least one day a week for a gifted pull-out they have there for advanced math students.

At this point I'm keeping my fingers crossed either for the go-ahead for us to partially homeschool him with support at school, or for him to get a mentor for math. I am also hoping that he gets some serious differentiation, at least, for language arts work.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    My husband thinks the kids are supposed to learn at school. I don't think they're supposed to learn anything much at school, just have fun and behave. If they are supposed to learn anything at school I don't know what I'm supposed to do about that- quit teaching them at home until their school catches up? It's nice seeing at least your saga's similar. It really does make me feel better that y'all are here.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM