Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by MamaJA
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    My own son is absolutely precocious with the math. And he IS "gifted" verbally, likely highly gifted. But his interest is clearly math, which has progressed that area much faster. I don't know yet though which camp he's in...

That's exactly where I am with my big girl. She also is gifted verbally and very likely highly gifted. She loves and excels in math and science. It's nice to know someone else has the same "type" of child.

The only reason I even thought DS6.5 was gifted was due to advanced verbal skills at a very young age. The math, which I didn't find out until he was tested for acceleration was actually a shock to me. Now, he still excels in reading/language arts (moreso than he does in math - though he's advanced there too), BUT he clearly loves math and science more.

J
    J
    JJsmom, our first shocks were on the verbal front as well. I think for our household...math was so intuitive across the board, that I never thought to be amazed by what were to me common sense things, like sequencing, grouping, concept of halving, etc. It was only when I realized what other kids didn't know/do that I realized math was a strength (for all three kids!)

That's funny. I remember DS6.5 loving patterns at a very young age, and like you, never put that down as a strength for math until after they told me his testing results.

K
    K
    My girls have always shown strength in math -- patterns, puzzles, playing with numbers in sophisticated ways from a very young age. Initially they were not precocious in language arts. In our school, they were not recognized as gifted by their teachers because "gifted girls always show their strength verbally." (Ugh!) DD10 was just a bit of a late bloomer -- her reading took off late first grade, writing in fourth. DD8's reading blossomed in 2nd grade, writing is still a challenge and always may be one since she has 2e issues.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    JJsmom, our first shocks were on the verbal front as well. I think for our household...math was so intuitive across the board, that I never thought to be amazed by what were to me common sense things, like sequencing, grouping, concept of halving, etc. It was only when I realized what other kids didn't know/do that I realized math was a strength (for all three kids!)

That's funny. I remember DS6.5 loving patterns at a very young age, and like you, never put that down as a strength for math until after they told me his testing results.

Sounds like my big girl too. Especially patterns - she would see patterns everywhere even in the Chili's Restaurant's bathroom!

T
    T
    People in school districs seem to focus in on academically gifted children and are missing the children that have brains wired so differently they are off the chart at creative divergent thinking but aren't processing information in conventionally ways, through language and writing. So, as a nation we are suffering a creativity crisis. Meaning our nation is at risk of staying a global leader.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM