Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 220 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #85666 09/23/10 09:32 AM
    R
    OP Offline
    R
    I am new to the forum, mainly because I have a question I can't seem to find the answer to by "googling" it.

My 6th grade son scored a 257 on his last spring math MAP test AND got the exact same score of 257 this week (fall). I have been looking at "norm" MAP charts from various sources.

My question is: Are the MAP scores graded the same independent of grade in school? For example, can I look at his 257 and place him (not physically) doing average work for the grade that indicates a 257? Or is it differnt for different grade?

R
    OP Offline
    R
    I just realized I should have posted this in Identification, Testing, and Assessment. Sorry, new to forums.

I
    I
    The MAP RIT score is supposed be like a yardstick and independent of grade level. There are different versions of the test (K-2, 2-5, and 6+) but since he's in 6th grade, it's supposed to be the same version used for the higher grades. The test ceiling comes into play with that high of a score:
    A ceiling effect exists when an assessment does not have sufficient range to accurately measure students at the highest performance levels. It has nothing to do with the actual numbers attached to the scale and everything to do with the position of students on it. For example, in reading, the RIT scale measures with relative accuracy up to about 245. This represents the 93rd percentile at grade 10, and the 95th percentile at grade 8. If a student scores above we know that student performed high but may not be able to accurately assess how high they performed. Relative to other tests, therefore, there is very little true ceiling effect in this assessment. Even most high performing 10th graders receive a technically accurate measure of their skill.
    http://www.nwea.org/support/article/532

R
    OP Offline
    R
    Thank you, Inky, for your timely response!

Welcome RJSwimmer!
    So glad Inky found your question.

You sound a little frustrated...as long as you are here, do want some help problem solving?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    R
    OP Offline
    R
    Thank you, Grinity, I am just trying to figure this all out. I homeschooled my 4 children in the past & just this year sent them to "school". As an entrance evaluation they took the MAP tests, Then again this fall. knew my son was bored in math and reading during most of class so I was wondering about moving him up and what the MAP scores meant. After last spring's math score of 257 and then the recent fall score this week of 257, they decided he finally could move up (after MUCH prodding)from 6th grade math to pre-algebra. Like I said, I really don't know much about these scores or what they mean, I just want to do the right thing for them. It's clear we have to initiate and investigate any possibility of level adjustment. He is in 6th grade and scored 238 on reading, 257 on math. I don't know how to differentiate from gifted to just plain hard work. Science and LA are next week some time. Coincidentally, his twin sister scored 235 in reading and 252 in math but is very shy and the whole "real school" situation is intimidating. She has no desire at all to move anywhere, much less up. I also need to be sensitive about the possibility that learning in the "brick" school environment may not be the same as learning at home. Because of that, I am very careful to not push too much and learn as much as I can about these scores and what they really mean. Lots of changes for our family. Clever to pick up on my frustration. It may just be me trying to adjust from complete control of their education to handing it over to someone else. Not sure.

I never actually homeschooled my DS14, but a homeschooling friend told me that the essence of homeschooling was that the parent accepted complete responsibility for the child's education, and on that basis, I was a 'homeschooling mom' of sorts.

as you say:
    It's clear we have to initiate and investigate any possibility of level adjustment.

It seems so obvious to us that the school 'should' be able to recognise when a child needs more academic challenge and 'should' have plenty of experience with providing that challenge. And yet the nature of averages keeps telling schools that kids who are unusual don't exist, so we don't need to develop expertese about meeting their needs.

One way to figure out 'gifted' from 'hard working and well prepared' is formal IQ testing. A much cheaper alternative is to have the kids take the SAT or ACT this December, possibly through the talent search. There is much more data for how gifted 7th graders score, but if they score well it speaks volumes to the school, and if they don't score impressively well you can breath a sigh of relief. Frankly, any 6th grader willing to sit and take the test impresses me.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

rjswimmer,

I was looking around the site that inky posted. You may find this RIT scales article helpful.

There's even recommendations about where kids with certain scores might be placed.

Maryann

Excellent link Maryann -

I thought that this was interesting:

A student score at or above the following scores on a 6+ Mathematics Survey with Goals test
    suggests student readiness for:
    230 Introduction to Algebra
    235 Algebra
    245 Geometry

It looks like by MAP's experience both your children are ready for Geometry. I think that it's time to show this to the school and aske for PreAlgebra for your DD.

As for reading it looks like their scores would be at or above the 95% even compared to 7th graders.

At the very least you can see that you are bumping right up against the ceiling of the test in Math for both kids. I think that even hardworking ND (normally developing) kids wouldn't be pressed right up against the ceiling like they are unless they were also gifted.

You can show the pages from Maryann's link to help with your advocacy, and if the school doesn't believe you, they can call NWEA for help in understanding what your children might be ready to learn. It is possible that your school has an unusual population and are much higher or lower than this national average, but they have the data.

A reasonable question to ask, if the school acts all 'your kids don't have special educational learning needs' is to ask how many 6th graders got reading scores or math scores like your kids in 6th grade, 7th grade and 8th grade. Probably only a very small percentage. Maybe None.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

On a chart showing gifted norms, a 257 on Math falls in the middle of gifted 7th and 8th grade norms. The norms for gifted 7th graders is 255 and for gifted 8th graders is 260. Grade level medians for 7th and 8th grade are 229 and 234, respectively.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM