Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I guess I noticed that DS4 was different as an infant in early childhood (parent/baby) classes. I noticed that I stopped saying all the developmental things that he could do when I found out none of the other kids were doing those things yet, and I didn't want to sound like I was bragging. I never thought he was "gifted" until I happened across the article listing Dr. Ruf's early signs of giftedness. Then I read her book and started worrying.

I think my husband still isn't convinced that DS4 is different, but he has no contact with other kids. I guess we'll find out next month!

I think personality must go a long way in identification and in choosing what education will work for these kids. It probably helps to have a defiant kid, I would guess, because maybe the teachers will be more willing to find a solution if the kid is disruptive (versus the kid who's willing to go along). I'm not sure what my DS will be, but at home he is definitely the defiant type!

i just realized i've been calling my son DD in some of the posts. I'm not used to these abbreviations! oops. DS, DS, DS. there.

Let me add my 2 cents about Montessori. Both of my sons (3 and 5) are gifted, DS5 quite a lot, we will see where DS3 is, but he started reading at 2. They are both in the same 3-6 classroom.

The school works much better for DS5 one since he is so clearly out of their regular PreK-K curriculum that they have to adapt to him, but since they have never before taken anybody that far they don't have any protocols to follow and let him lead at least a little bit. It took them a while to realize where he was (reason #1 why we had him tested), but it took them only a few days to figure out that he was gifted ("We never had a child like this."). The school goes till 6th grade and they got LA material from the higher grades, but even that was started on a low end and I don't think he is where he could be. I know very little about what he does there in LA, don't let me start on that. In math he finally started learning new things in January. He did get a good practice in November and December when he was slightly behind of what he could do at home. Socially the place doesn't work too well. He seems to be finally happy there, but he doesn't have close friends there. They are probably too young for him.

Now my younger one. He is 3 and the teacher try to handle him the same way like a ND child, who is perhaps 4 or 5. They have a sequence of things which needs to be done before he can move on. Let me give you an example, he cannot do additions till he learns to write his numbers properly! That was followed by "He is only 3, none of the 3 year olds can write." Doh. He has actually learned to write some numbers and letters, but like they said he is only 3. What's the rush? Give him number cards or let him circle the right answer, but to make him do just simple counting because he cannot write is stupid. Give him some toys instead. He does have a workbook for LA, one of the few kids there (the rest of them are in K), but I don't know how much he can do with it since again he cannot write the letters well enough. They just don't get the part that his brain and his hands are not in sych. I heard a lot about fine motor skills when it came to DS5 too. He doesn't have any problems with fine motor skills (he actually writes really well now), but his 5 year old hands are no match to his academic skills.

I don't think the teachers know on which level either one of my kids read. The school has lots of other classes (music, French, ...) and those are really nice. There are things to love about the school, but there are things which make me want to scream.

My take on the whole thing - No academics is better than wrong academics. DS5 was in a play based preschool for 2 years and he was happy there. The teacher there got him to the point of talking about grade skips and early college. He had to sit through the letter of the week but he didn't mind it at all, the rest was art, music and fun. As long as we can get the logistic work out, that's where DS3 will go next year.

I thought I did DS3 favor by sending him to Montessori, but what he needs is to play with other kids. He can get all the academics his heart desires at home.

DS5 and next year is a post for itself. I'll get to it one of these days.

LMom
    Originally Posted by LMom
    My take on the whole thing - No academics is better than wrong academics.

Thank you for this. Looking at everyone's info on Montessori, and thinking about how my DS4 would be one of a few 4 year olds in a new class with mostly 3 year olds, makes me think it might not be such a great fit. If he continues with his current preschool, he would be with 4-5 year olds. He would get some pre-k stuff but since the teacher knows him, I'm sure she would give him stuff he'd like to do too. I'll still look into the Montessori, but it's sounding less like the dream class i'd hoped for!

W
    W
    At the Montessori that DD3 goes to all the kids use counting tools at the same time they practice writing their numbers. So I do not know why the difference. DD3 worked the number board through 100 and beyond, gets the base ten, works through an understanding of 1000s. And her scribbles really don't resemble numbers yet.

Her teachers talk about all kinds of subjects, like vertebrates and invertebrates, the solar system. They do voting projects.

It always comes down to teachers, but at least Montessori should have the materials to push the curriculum. At an academic school they will talk about "A" this week and the number 1. Next week, "B" and the number 2. These are the top academic preschools in NY for 3s.

They go to special children "concerts" at Carnegie Hall. They are in the studio and discuss a few instruments and structure of music. And other interesting field trips. DD3 is thriving, though some of the older kids told her that she was too young to read and then refused for a little while. They don't seem to bother her when she is in the math area ahead.

Ren

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM