Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 66 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Jasmine Kurb, stevesmith1699, Phoebe Norman, EMdigitizer, Thomas White
    11264 Registered Users
    January
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30 31
    Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
    Topic Options
    #87556 - 10/18/10 07:36 PM Re: Very gifted in just one area? Does it exist? [Re: Dottie]
    DeHe Offline

Originally Posted By: Dottie
    My own son is absolutely precocious with the math. And he IS "gifted" verbally, likely highly gifted. But his interest is clearly math, which has progressed that area much faster. I don't know yet though which camp he's in...the truly global, the math-heavy, or

Interesting chicken and egg q! Is he more gifted in math or just more interested? Goes to the original question, does the focus drive the appearance of skew rather than the fact of it.

And I second the thanks on the article, I hate when you know your saw something somewhere and can't find it!!

#87557 - 10/18/10 07:50 PM Re: Very gifted in just one area? Does it exist? [Re: master of none]
    mom22boys Offline

my daughter is gifted in dance and language arts. She's above average in math,but not in the gifted range. Certainly she's a stinkypoo in art.lol She's 18 now and she know's she's artfully challenged.

Edited by mom22boys (10/18/10 07:51 PM)

#87558 - 10/18/10 07:58 PM Re: Very gifted in just one area? Does it exist? [Re: Iucounu]
    Katelyn'sM om Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
    Originally Posted By: Iucounu

For the record, I also find the notion that great artists are not highly intelligent to be absurd. I certainly think that one can be an artistic genius, and prodigiously artistically gifted. Can one's prodigious artistic talent be scored by the sorts of tests needed to become a DYS scholar? Probably not.

I certainly didn't mean to imply artists are not intelligent. Being an artist myself, I know many artists that are highly intelligent. What I was arguing is art is not a requirement for HG+. You can have PG people who are highly TALENTED in the arts just as you can have artists of many levels of intellect including the lower part of the scale. Would you argue that these individuals below the IQ of 100 aren't artists? Of course not. And this logic goes for athletes as well.

And as for scoring on tests for DYS scholars ... again: apples and oranges.

#87559 - 10/18/10 07:58 PM Re: Very gifted in just one area? Does it exist? [Re: DeHe]
    kcab Offline

Loc: Sparta, apparently
    Yes, thanks for the articles! I wish I could see the tables for articles in the Davidson database - is anyone able to (ie. do I have some setting wrong)?

I wish more would be done for the spatially talented kids, the ones who are not at least somewhat verbally gifted can have a tough row to hoe.

#87560 - 10/18/10 08:02 PM Re: Very gifted in just one area? Does it exist? [Re: Cricket2]
    Katelyn'sM om Offline

Originally Posted By: Cricket2
    Originally Posted By: Katelyn'sM om
    Gifted for this board is above intelligence with ranges from MG to PG. I always have considered this separate from the topic of artistic and/or athletic abilities. I guess I'm saying it is apples and oranges.

This is the crux of the issue for me. Most schools define "gifted" as high achievement coupled with something else (behavioral characteristics, teacher recommendation, a high-ish score on any one part of a group ability test -- which isn't an IQ test). There are certainly bright kids who achieve highly in one area but not another. Those children might be called gifted by schools, but they aren't gifted in the same sense that we're likely defining it here.

So true Cricket2 and something that I recently came to realize. I was taking "Gifted" at face value and accepting that it correlates with my understanding of the term. I suspect my local school district is guilty of this and is why there are so many gifted students in our district.

#87563 - 10/18/10 08:48 PM Re: Very gifted in just one area? Does it exist? [Re: Katelyn'sM om]
    Iucounu Offline

Originally Posted By: Katelyn'sM om
    Originally Posted By: Iucounu

For the record, I also find the notion that great artists are not highly intelligent to be absurd. I certainly think that one can be an artistic genius, and prodigiously artistically gifted. Can one's prodigious artistic talent be scored by the sorts of tests needed to become a DYS scholar? Probably not.

I certainly didn't mean to imply artists are not intelligent.

I wrote "highly intelligent". You and others here are placing artistic talent, which after all is a set of properties of the mind, apart from giftedness. I still think it's absurd-- one can be an artistic genius just like one can be a math genius, and it takes a highly-functioning mind to be a great artist. It's just not the sort of intelligence that shows up in scores on tests needed to be a DYS scholar, for instance. This has much to do with the fact that such ability is traditionally harder to isolate with tests, and nothing to do with any actual non-intellectual nature of great artistic ability.

Edited by Iucounu (10/18/10 08:51 PM)

#87582 - 10/19/10 07:37 AM Re: Very gifted in just one area? Does it exist? [Re: master of none]
    CAMom Offline

CFK- we have matching boys. Mine is "globally gifted" based on testing, lacks some visual-spatial skills but is far more interested in math and science. His tested abilities in verbal and language are higher by quite a bit. In some types of math, this makes him even better at math, in others it creates a bit of a struggle. He can whiz through a word problem like nothing- it's the combination of all of his strengths. But give him something visual and he's stumped.

While he is a DYS, he's also not really showing any signs of natural prodigious talent. Unless you count his ability to play hours of video games without getting out of his seat a prodigious talent!

#87584 - 10/19/10 07:59 AM Re: Very gifted in just one area? Does it exist? [Re: master of none]
    LilMick Offline

Loc: Florida
    DC20 is verbally pg, E2, and struggles with mathematics. He is also very talented athletically, not a bit artistically.

DC16 is mg, above average in every area, and also a talented athlete and artist.

I was globally pg, as well as talented in sports, music, and art.
    However, most of the hg+ people I know are not globally gifted (strengths in math/science or humanities).

#87585 - 10/19/10 08:03 AM Re: Very gifted in just one area? Does it exist? [Re: master of none]
    intparent Offline

It has been fascinating to watch D15 show gifted traits in more areas as she gets older. Her verbal gifts are profound and obvious to every who has met her for pretty much her whole life, and showed up early in her academic work. She has been a slightly above average math student... but she took the PSAT last week with one weekend of prep time with a SAT book ahead of time, and told me she thinks she may have gotten all of the math problems right. Last year she took drawing. After years of daily or every other day art in school with just average results(liberal arts K-12 school), her drawing talents blossomed last year, and she did astonishing work. And this is a kid who has recently been diagnosed as 2e with a non-verbal learning disability -- who would think she would be good at drawing and now math??

It has been a lesson to me not to pigeonhole my expectations for her based on what I think her areas of strength are. Although her gifts in one area showed up early, I am learning again and again not to underestimate her in any area. Especially as her brain matures. I am glad we have keep on feeding all areas of academics and many extracurricular activities. I wish we could differentiate her education more to allow acceleration as she is ready for it in each subject, of course. Maybe someday all our schools will work that way for everyone...

#87586 - 10/19/10 08:20 AM Re: Very gifted in just one area? Does it exist? [Re: intparent]
    Katelyn'sM om Offline

Originally Posted By: intparent
    It has been a lesson to me not to pigeonhole my expectations for her based on what I think her areas of strength are.

This is a lesson that we all should learn. And I mean 'we' in the most universal way.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator, Mark D. 
    Recent Posts
    Looking for advice on how to proceed...
    by aeh
    Yesterday at 01:04 PM
    Correlation btw WASI & WISC? Referral form weight?
    by Mali
    01/27/23 12:06 AM
    Recommendations for high-IQ society to join?
    by indigo
    01/20/23 05:02 PM
    Helping gifted ppl
    by indigo
    01/20/23 04:55 PM
    2e or Misbehaving Because of Other Reasons?
    by aeh
    01/14/23 05:03 PM
    Davidson Institute Twitter