Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    For the record, I also find the notion that great artists are not highly intelligent to be absurd. I certainly think that one can be an artistic genius, and prodigiously artistically gifted. Can one's prodigious artistic talent be scored by the sorts of tests needed to become a DYS scholar? Probably not.

I certainly didn't mean to imply artists are not intelligent. Being an artist myself, I know many artists that are highly intelligent. What I was arguing is art is not a requirement for HG+. You can have PG people who are highly TALENTED in the arts just as you can have artists of many levels of intellect including the lower part of the scale. Would you argue that these individuals below the IQ of 100 aren't artists? Of course not. And this logic goes for athletes as well.

And as for scoring on tests for DYS scholars ... again: apples and oranges.

Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    Gifted for this board is above intelligence with ranges from MG to PG. I always have considered this separate from the topic of artistic and/or athletic abilities. I guess I'm saying it is apples and oranges.
    This is the crux of the issue for me. Most schools define "gifted" as high achievement coupled with something else (behavioral characteristics, teacher recommendation, a high-ish score on any one part of a group ability test -- which isn't an IQ test). There are certainly bright kids who achieve highly in one area but not another. Those children might be called gifted by schools, but they aren't gifted in the same sense that we're likely defining it here.

So true Cricket2 and something that I recently came to realize. I was taking "Gifted" at face value and accepting that it correlates with my understanding of the term. I suspect my local school district is guilty of this and is why there are so many gifted students in our district.

Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    For the record, I also find the notion that great artists are not highly intelligent to be absurd. I certainly think that one can be an artistic genius, and prodigiously artistically gifted. Can one's prodigious artistic talent be scored by the sorts of tests needed to become a DYS scholar? Probably not.

I certainly didn't mean to imply artists are not intelligent.

I wrote "highly intelligent". You and others here are placing artistic talent, which after all is a set of properties of the mind, apart from giftedness. I still think it's absurd-- one can be an artistic genius just like one can be a math genius, and it takes a highly-functioning mind to be a great artist. It's just not the sort of intelligence that shows up in scores on tests needed to be a DYS scholar, for instance. This has much to do with the fact that such ability is traditionally harder to isolate with tests, and nothing to do with any actual non-intellectual nature of great artistic ability.

Last edited by Iucounu; 10/18/10 08:51 PM.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    C
    C
    CFK- we have matching boys. Mine is "globally gifted" based on testing, lacks some visual-spatial skills but is far more interested in math and science. His tested abilities in verbal and language are higher by quite a bit. In some types of math, this makes him even better at math, in others it creates a bit of a struggle. He can whiz through a word problem like nothing- it's the combination of all of his strengths. But give him something visual and he's stumped.

While he is a DYS, he's also not really showing any signs of natural prodigious talent. Unless you count his ability to play hours of video games without getting out of his seat a prodigious talent!

L
    L
    DC20 is verbally pg, E2, and struggles with mathematics. He is also very talented athletically, not a bit artistically.

DC16 is mg, above average in every area, and also a talented athlete and artist.

I was globally pg, as well as talented in sports, music, and art.
    However, most of the hg+ people I know are not globally gifted (strengths in math/science or humanities).

I
    I
    It has been fascinating to watch D15 show gifted traits in more areas as she gets older. Her verbal gifts are profound and obvious to every who has met her for pretty much her whole life, and showed up early in her academic work. She has been a slightly above average math student... but she took the PSAT last week with one weekend of prep time with a SAT book ahead of time, and told me she thinks she may have gotten all of the math problems right. Last year she took drawing. After years of daily or every other day art in school with just average results(liberal arts K-12 school), her drawing talents blossomed last year, and she did astonishing work. And this is a kid who has recently been diagnosed as 2e with a non-verbal learning disability -- who would think she would be good at drawing and now math??

It has been a lesson to me not to pigeonhole my expectations for her based on what I think her areas of strength are. Although her gifts in one area showed up early, I am learning again and again not to underestimate her in any area. Especially as her brain matures. I am glad we have keep on feeding all areas of academics and many extracurricular activities. I wish we could differentiate her education more to allow acceleration as she is ready for it in each subject, of course. Maybe someday all our schools will work that way for everyone...

Originally Posted by intparent
    It has been a lesson to me not to pigeonhole my expectations for her based on what I think her areas of strength are.

This is a lesson that we all should learn. And I mean 'we' in the most universal way.

Originally Posted by intparent
    It has been a lesson to me not to pigeonhole my expectations for her based on what I think her areas of strength are. Although her gifts in one area showed up early, I am learning again and again not to underestimate her in any area. Especially as her brain matures. I am glad we have keep on feeding all areas of academics and many extracurricular activities

laugh Absolutely! I 1000% agree - and I think its so important we as parents don't do it because other people will be so tempted to. Although it is a struggle (at least for my DS at 4.5) when they are so good at something to get them to do something which is a struggle at first.

DeHe

I was talking to the hubby about this article over breakfast and he asked how could they trust the results were raw lack of ability in the case of the non-verbal math kids from the research project since some school districts teach for the SAT because higher scores make them look better. I guess it's the same chicken or the egg question about a kids interest enabling their area of ability. But it's the slightly different question of a better education guiding their interests. Did the globally gifted kids get hold of a more engaging teacher that was passionate about their own subject? Did the math only kids get dull English teachers, boring and oblivious to their own many mistakes?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    My own son is absolutely precocious with the math. And he IS "gifted" verbally, likely highly gifted. But his interest is clearly math, which has progressed that area much faster. I don't know yet though which camp he's in...

That's exactly where I am with my big girl. She also is gifted verbally and very likely highly gifted. She loves and excels in math and science. It's nice to know someone else has the same "type" of child.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM