Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    M
    I have a boy is very gifted in math, but bit advanced in reading, and even bit delay in speaking

He was struggle learning to speak, did not speak well until he was 3.

He started reading at 3, but only read like year 2 now(will turn 5 end of the year)

But his math skill is in top range, he is learning grade 5 or 6 math concept

He hate drawing, but his music ability amazed his teachers all the time.

Originally Posted by Dottie
    Speaking as a teacher though, I see a LOT of verbally bright and verbally gifted children who are surprisingly weak in math. I'm not quite sure how to make sense of it. I suspect in several of the specific instances I am aware of, that math...and perhaps all education has been weak overall. And verbal things are easy to "pick up" if that's the case. . . I personally haven't come across as many math only kids, perhaps because those with weak verbal skills don't get recognized for their math strengths. Teachers are more tuned into verbal abilities and probably see that first. I did work with a boy last year though that was young and had some reading struggles. His intuitive math though blew me away. Unfortunately he left my school and I no longer work with himI suspect the strong verbal student would be easier to enrich/etc than the lop-sided math kid. The exception would be a reasonably well rounded kid like my son, who excels in most subjects but really shines in well for him. We could never have pulled that off though had his verbal abilities not been advanced
    as well, as much of the math progression involves strong verbal input.

Dottie you remind me of an article that I read either here or on Hoagies (or possibly in Ruf) about your son but not of yours students, which said that highly gifted verbal were usually gifted across the board but that math giftedness did not necessarily correlate with verbal giftedness. But I think it referenced PG not MG. I should go find the article, I remember reading it initially because my 4.5 yr old is strongly verbally gifted with a prefernced for science but was showing no interest in math and we never saw the spontaneous evidence of math skills or math interest, like the people here talking about needing to count and categorize everything. But I was finding it so odd that he could be super interested in science with no interest in math. Now I think it was like when he hardly talked while learning to walk - he literally could not focus on 2 developmental stages at once!

DeHe

M
    M
    Cool. I like to read the artical

Many verbal kids catch up with math later on once they get interested in it.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    Gifted for this board is above intelligence with ranges from MG to PG. I always have considered this separate from the topic of artistic and/or athletic abilities. I guess I'm saying it is apples and oranges.
    This is the crux of the issue for me. Most schools define "gifted" as high achievement coupled with something else (behavioral characteristics, teacher recommendation, a high-ish score on any one part of a group ability test -- which isn't an IQ test). There are certainly bright kids who achieve highly in one area but not another. Those children might be called gifted by schools, but they aren't gifted in the same sense that we're likely defining it here.

I think it's obvious that one can be prodigiously extremely gifted in a certain area and non-gifted in another. Different centers of the brain perform different functions, and we have examples of people prodigiously gifted in only certain areas. To say that the prodigiously gifted only express their talents in certain areas due to interests is to assume the answer to what we are trying to assess here, based apparently on guesswork.

ETA: Mmm, I guess by a DYS standard of PG or HG+ that is true: you can't have a weakness in any area. I think that is not really what the OP is asking, though. In a general sense I certainly think that one can be profoundly gifted in a certain area. A proper answer to the OP's question requires a broader perspective than that of a parent of a DYS acceptee.

For the record, I also find the notion that great artists are not highly intelligent to be absurd. I certainly think that one can be an artistic genius, and prodigiously artistically gifted. Can one's prodigious artistic talent be scored by the sorts of tests needed to become a DYS scholar? Probably not.

Last edited by Iucounu; 10/18/10 06:12 PM.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    F
    F
    Katelyn's mom I agree with you that those identified as HG + would generally be globally gifted. To get the sort of test numbers you need to be to be identified in the HG+ category you'd need to do extremely well in most categories tested perhaps allowing for one weak area which from what I've read tends to be processing speed for HG+.

I'm guessing the MG are far more likely to have an area of particular strength backed up by being perhaps a bit above average across the board. Dottie or Aimie may be able to provide evidence one way or the other on this one.

Given statistically there must be far more MG than HG+ it makes sense that a school might argue that gifted kids excel in one or two areas because that is what they see most often. I certainly wasn't aware of the levels of giftedness until confronted with my DS's test results and the reading I needed to understand them, which thankfully included finding this board!

Dottie's approach seems perfect because it doesn't get the school offside but allows you to make the case that your child is different because they are globally gifted.

DeHe I would also love to see the article you mention. I'd say my DS is very verbal but not overtly mathy yet he loves science particularly engineering. As Mathboy suggests we've just started pointing out to him the importance of maths to the things he wants to build. Not sure using his dad's first year university engineering text was the way to do that but he seemed to be right into it!

M
    MES Offline
    M

M
    MES Offline
    M
    You're welcome...now about that blind squirrel...

Originally Posted by Dottie
    My own son is absolutely precocious with the math. And he IS "gifted" verbally, likely highly gifted. But his interest is clearly math, which has progressed that area much faster. I don't know yet though which camp he's in...the truly global, the math-heavy, or

Interesting chicken and egg q! Is he more gifted in math or just more interested? Goes to the original question, does the focus drive the appearance of skew rather than the fact of it.

And I second the thanks on the article, I hate when you know your saw something somewhere and can't find it!!

M
    M
    my daughter is gifted in dance and language arts. She's above average in math,but not in the gifted range. Certainly she's a stinkypoo in art.lol She's 18 now and she know's she's artfully challenged.

Last edited by mom22boys; 10/18/10 07:51 PM.
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM